1.    #1  
    Well, I'm convinced. There was some conflicting news about the Veer's responsiveness, but they just rolled out display models at my local Best Buy, and I spent quite a bit of time with one today.

There were 11 cards open, including the Camera, and transitions were smooth and peppy.

I didn't have much trouble using the keyboard, but it's obviously tinier than the Pre-, and I've got fairly big hands. Probably a few days practice and it'd be a snap.

No Sprint news from the sales guy, but he did grill me on what it was I liked about webOS. I thought he was prepping me for an Android pitch, but then he said "yeah, that sounds about right. Shaun over there swears by webOS, and you pretty much tagged all his highlights." Shaun overheard this and shouted "you got someone looking at the Veer!? Lemme finish with this customer and I'll be right over!"

So, at least in one store in one city, we've got an enthusiastic Best Buy guy on our side. =)
    seems like webos does elicit a certain sense of zeal from its users
  3.    #3  
    It reminds me of when my big brother got his first MacIntosh. You could see the starbursts in his eyes.. =)

And as for the size - no, I wouldn't want this if it were my primary mobile 'net device. I'd rather keep using my Pre-. But HP is spot-on with their NY Times ad: "In a world of tablets, who needs a big phone?"
    I went to a BB last week, and they had to get the Veer (a white one) out of a locked cabinet. The sales guy didn't have much to do, so he hung around while I put it through its paces, and I took the opportunity to show him WebOS, which he'd never really gotten a good look at. At one point I had over twenty cards open, and when I put on Advanced App Switching, that pretty much blew him away. He was like, "Damn, that's cool. You've got a lot open, and it isn't slowing down at all." I showed him the gesture area and some card-related gestures, and he was mightily impressed. He said, "Yeah, they bring these in and say, 'These are on sale tomorrow,' and that can be about it," though he had heard that HP might come by for a demo. It was clearly a phone he would never have paid much attention to, but I think what I showed him stuck in his head.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    I went to a BB last week, and they had to get the Veer (a white one) out of a locked cabinet. The sales guy didn't have much to do, so he hung around while I put it through its paces, and I took the opportunity to show him WebOS, which he'd never really gotten a good look at. At one point I had over twenty cards open, and when I put on Advanced App Switching, that pretty much blew him away. He was like, "Damn, that's cool. You've got a lot open, and it isn't slowing down at all." I showed him the gesture area and some card-related gestures, and he was mightily impressed. He said, "Yeah, they bring these in and say, 'These are on sale tomorrow,' and that can be about it," though he had heard that HP might come by for a demo. It was clearly a phone he would never have paid much attention to, but I think what I showed him stuck in his head.
    Good stuff.

It's obvious from the stories around here that HP really needs to send out their reps to train people, and not just train, but show BB employees how good the phone/OS really is.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Here is my 2cents

I was at my bestbuy- I was looking to see what cheepo-laptop my mom should get. So I wondered by the cellphone area...there was an endcap for the veer- thats a big deal having its own little spot and backsplash...but there was no device- not even a dummy!

So over to the laptop section I see the "HP AREA" that is as large as an antire two sided 1 row coputer set up- HP must be paying $$$ for this- although HP- it LOOKS BAD WHEN THERE IS NOTHER THERE BUT A LITTLE VEER...

Anywho- there was 1 live veer and 1 dummy veer- the live veer was powered down- it was not on a toutchstone---but I found its little magnet holder and plugged it up- didnt take that long for it to get its initial charge and boot up- that is compaired to my Pre- I just picked up from the sprint repair shop after it took a dive yesterday and split into two...was kinda cool.

Anywho- its a fast little stinker and its snappy click slide click up and down- feels good- I hate that it is soo small that they had to stick their anti-theft device over HALF THE SCREEN because there was nowhere else to put it!.

Interface is nice, its WebOS! duh! I liked the keyboard- for how small it is, I can see how anyone with normal sized fingers can manipulate it easy- I am a big guy, 6foot 8 and large hands and I could manage it.

Launched a bunch of stuff- worked well, smooth and quick- many people related the keyboard to the Pre2's as they do the speed- I have never seen/used a pre2 but even if the Pre2 = Veer in speed, keyboard quality- build quality etc its just the size- than I may just go the Franken Pre2 route and stay on sprint if the Pre3 comes out AFTER verizon changes to teired data- if it comes out and I can get on a unlimted data contract with Verizon than I will move to Verizon for the Pre3.
    They have SIM cards in it?

If they do, another great location for me to make long distance calls back to Canada when I'm in Buffalo.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I can confirm the OP's genral observation: the Veer is incredibly responsive.

I saw it yesterday at an AT&T store - the dsiplay was set up in the back, and the Veer itself was not at its display..., so I asked one of the salesmen where it was, and he said, "Oh, the store manager uses it has his phone, he loves it".

(and for the record, the sales manager was about 6'1" tall - not a small dude by any stretch of the imagination).

He went and got it from the manager (he took it from his pocket), and the sales guy brought it over to me to play with...

Fast. Seriously fast and smooth as butter. Not even my overclocked Pre+ at 1ghz was that smooth...

I opened a few cards, went to a couple of web sites (the "4G" was, um.. not impressive - they didnt have wireless set up there), but, darned if that little device didn't load them clear and smooth, and display them sharply.

Zooming in and out and scrolling was also smooth as silk.

I typed on the keyboard, and it was pretty easy to use - I thought I'd have issues, because the Pre keyboard always feels barely good enough, size-wise, but, this little keyboard was just fine! (FYI.. I can palm a basketball)

I showed the sales guy my Pre+ and we both looked at them side by side... significant size difference, for sure, but, in the end, he told me that the only complaint he ever heard was from some people regardign the keyboard, and thats it.

He says that they are selling fairly well, and that was thier only disadvantage.. the small keyboard.

BTW, in my opinion, it's not too small to be usable, and viewing websites on it was just fine; I can definitely see the Veer being popular with teens and tweens, and some adults, and defintely anyone who hates large "brick"-type devices in their pockets.. this folds up so neatly, and that Pre "pebble" feel really works at this size.

As for me, well, I need a workhorse business phone - if the Veer is any sort of clue as to the build quality, overall experience and performance of the Pre 3, I'd say, quite honestly, and objectively, that the Pre 3 will be quite the device; this just really instilled quite a bit of confidence for me in that concept.

Last edited by LCGuy; 06/13/2011 at 03:14 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I have played w/the Veer at both a BB & AT&T store. I thought the keyboard was better than that on my Pre-.
    I just got to play with the veer at Bestbuy and I must say I like it.It felt good in the hands and the keyboard wasn't as bad as I thought it was.I'm also loving the webos 2.x. I'm def excited about the pre 3.
    This ended up too long. Don't read.

Veer's not for me, but I just stopped by the BB at my work to see if they finally had one and see if they were treatin' it OK...

From the sounds of things it just hit the floor (with the familiar touchpad coming soon setup) two days ago. One real one and one dummy.

Picked it up to play with it and started swiping through menus and opening preloaded apps and such, and yeah! The things's fast! I was impressed!

As I dove a little deeper, though, I quickly realized it didn't have phone/data service and wasn't on their (password protected) wifi network! Grrr. It's a smartphone!

I promptly fired up freetether on my Sprint plus and downloaded a few hot apps like facebook, pandora, foursquare, angry birds lite and fandango, just so they'd be there.

I brought up the no service thing with a manager-lookin' guy who cited the display was rather new, it'll get it, etc.

He then demonstrated that he doesn't know even in the slightest how to use it and then asked if Iii had any questions. Lol!

but yeah, snappy!
    I just played with one and wish I could buy it. A BB employee was friendly and really liked the veer. He was trying to sell it to me but cant switch to att. We both really liked its form factor
  13.    #13  
    Yeah, I can see that without a tablet, this would be a downgrade from my Pre-. I just use my Pre constantly for web-browsing and emailing, and the Veer's screen is just too small for my old eyes.

On the other hand, with a Touchpad, I could definitely work with it.
    Veer snappy if I run light/small apps. but it will very stutter and freezed if I run app that consume quite lots of cpu power or app that connect to internet. so overall I still love this small phone, but yes the performance need some tweaks. hope update firmware can fix the stutter and freeze problem.
    i agree. veer is snappy untill you start loading it up with apps and patches. anyway its just like any other phone...snappy untill you start loading it up.