webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Rod BRICKED a Veer! It's time to help homebrew again
Rod BRICKED a Veer! It's time to help homebrew again
  Reply
Like Tree1Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06/02/2011, 02:03 AM   #61 (permalink)
Member
 
TopTongueBarry's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,837
$50 donation

BTW, Veer's are going for between $250 - $300 on eBay now. I'm making a counteroffer to a seller with one listed at $275
__________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
TopTongueBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/02/2011, 10:34 PM   #62 (permalink)
Member
 
vasekvi's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,209
I am still having a hard time believing that it bricked. Like I know any better. "Are you SURE theres no way to bring it back to life?"

Shot through the heart.
__________________
-



Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2011, 01:25 AM   #63 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
I am still having a hard time believing that it bricked. Like I know any better. "Are you SURE theres no way to bring it back to life?"
It does not even enumerate as a USB device. Ergo, no way to recover it.

-- Rod
__________________
WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
All donations go back into development.
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2011, 08:41 AM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
vasekvi's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
It does not even enumerate as a USB device. Ergo, no way to recover it.

-- Rod
Oh. That is actually something I can comprehend. Now find the hidden "force doctor" button!

Just kidding I realize its really dead.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
__________________
-



Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2011, 09:46 PM   #65 (permalink)
Member
 
Rennat's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,323
Hey Rod, is it possible if I were to brick my Veer by messing with the A6's binary to transfer the board over that the memory chip is on over to a new Veer so I don't loose any data like in FrankenPre? Or is the A6 chip on the same board as the memory? Not that I would need to do this but it is comforting to know that your data isn't bricked away with the phone.
__________________
"Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
- John Wayne
Rennat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/03/2011, 10:13 PM   #66 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
Hey Rod, is it possible if I were to brick my Veer by messing with the A6's binary to transfer the board over that the memory chip is on over to a new Veer so I don't loose any data like in FrankenPre?
No.

Quote:
Or is the A6 chip on the same board as the memory?
It is.

Quote:
Not that I would need to do this but it is comforting to know that your data isn't bricked away with the phone.
Your data is irretrievably lost. No comfort at all here.

-- Rod
__________________
WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
All donations go back into development.
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/04/2011, 09:23 PM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 26
Just sent $10, from my veer of course . Thank you Rod for all your timely efforts.
tannenba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2011, 03:21 AM   #68 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,568
Here is the flickr album of all the shots taken so far: HP Veer Disassembly - a set on Flickr

-- Rod
__________________
WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
All donations go back into development.
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: DavidVogt
Old 06/05/2011, 05:22 AM   #69 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 2,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Dr. Battery support for the Veer is up to somline.

For other homebrew apps, like Preware, Govnah, Save/Restore, Impostah, wIRC, MetaDoctor, etc - I tested all those in the short time that my Veer was working, and made all required changes (which were very few).

-- Rod
Hi Rod, just as an info. Govnah needs to be updated to read the current from:
"/sys/class/misc/a6_0/regs/getcurrent"
on the Veer. Works on present Pre3 as well.

EDIT: The output is the same.
__________________
Dr. Battery

Last edited by somline; 06/05/2011 at 05:28 AM.
somline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2011, 05:46 AM   #70 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by somline View Post
Hi Rod, just as an info. Govnah needs to be updated to read the current from:
"/sys/class/misc/a6_0/regs/getcurrent"
on the Veer. Works on present Pre3 as well.

EDIT: The output is the same.
Please test Govnah 0.8.4 from the testing feed on the Veer and let me know if it works.

-- Rod
__________________
WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
All donations go back into development.
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2011, 05:49 AM   #71 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 2,586
;-) So you got me again.
Can you tell me why I can't see this version at git.webos-internals.org?

EDIT: OK I see it:
7 min ago v0.8.4 Added battery current support for...
__________________
Dr. Battery
somline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/05/2011, 05:57 AM   #72 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by somline View Post
;-) So you got me again.
Can you tell me why I can't see this version at git.webos-internals.org?

EDIT: OK I see it:
7 min ago v0.8.4 Added battery current support for...
Look for 0.8.5 instead. 0.8.4 may not have picked up the merge result.

-- Rod
__________________
WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
All donations go back into development.
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2011, 07:45 AM   #73 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 431
Did i brink my veer?

I can still put it in USB mode. but so far doctoring without success.

I deleted a directory under /var/palm/jail
i thought i could uninstall Mode Switcher Cleanly.

Then My device just kept rebooting all day until the battery died.
I tried to doctor it, but it says device is disconnected half way.

I will leave my veer on the charger for a longer period of time and try doctoring again.

any ideas guys?


I found the below online.

WARNING: Be very careful when working with the "/var/palm/jail" folders when running as root. It is very easy to destroy your device's filesystem. If you do a "rm -rf" on a folder in "/var/palm/jail", you can easily destroy files all over the device. The proper way to remove a jail when it is no longer needed is to use the jailer with the "-D" option. That makes sure everything is unbound correctly before removing the jail files. Usually, your device root file system is mounted as read-only, so you cannot damage "/bin" or "/usr", but you can still easily modify the "/var" tree as root which can make your phone unbootable.
chrislo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2011, 08:32 AM   #74 (permalink)
Developer
 
rwhitby's Avatar
 
Posts: 10,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
Did i brink my veer?

I can still put it in USB mode. but so far doctoring without success.

I deleted a directory under /var/palm/jail
i thought i could uninstall Mode Switcher Cleanly.

Then My device just kept rebooting all day until the battery died.
I tried to doctor it, but it says device is disconnected half way.

I will leave my veer on the charger for a longer period of time and try doctoring again.

any ideas guys?


I found the below online.

WARNING: Be very careful when working with the "/var/palm/jail" folders when running as root. It is very easy to destroy your device's filesystem. If you do a "rm -rf" on a folder in "/var/palm/jail", you can easily destroy files all over the device. The proper way to remove a jail when it is no longer needed is to use the jailer with the "-D" option. That makes sure everything is unbound correctly before removing the jail files. Usually, your device root file system is mounted as read-only, so you cannot damage "/bin" or "/usr", but you can still easily modify the "/var" tree as root which can make your phone unbootable.
You did not brick your Veer.

You removed critical files from the filesystem which are required for a successful boot.

Your only option now is to doctor.

-- Rod
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/14/2011, 09:09 PM   #75 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 431
I got it working.

I had to doctor many times as sometimes it will say phone disconnected.

Need to make sure phone is FULLY CHARGED to avoid any doctoring issues.

With pre, it will charge and then doctor automatically. It's different with veer, if you let webos doctor charge it and the doctor it it may still hit some road blocks, possibly due to the magnetic charger?
chrislo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2011, 01:40 AM   #76 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 108
15$ donated. Keep up the good work!
Theonlyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2011, 07:39 PM   #77 (permalink)
Member
 
hrminer92's Avatar
 
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
From an interview I heard (on the Adam Carolla Podcast), the Australians dont like that too much. Complete American reference... Ohh and I love your avatar
that's because they prefer to grill up prawns.

BTW, has there been any work on the overclocking front with a Veer?
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 07/03/2011, 07:45 PM   #78 (permalink)
Moderator
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
that's because they prefer to grill up prawns.

BTW, has there been any work on the overclocking front with a Veer?
Think I may marinate and grill up some prawns tomorrow...
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0