Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Ive had the Pre2 before, and Im very experienced with WebOS.

I don't mind the screen size of the pixi, and Im wondering if the Veer would be a good option for me over the Pre2.

I will be switching to a different carrier (probably verizon) in a year and a half or so, with that in mind, I am looking for a device to last me that long. I wouldn't mind the Pre3 but I like the idea of a little phone to compliment a tablet.

My work requires me to be always available for a quick email or calendar appointments.

Does anyone here use their Veer as a daily driver, and are expecting to use it for a while?

And the last question. I like the white Veer. Will it have potential to get dirty after a while?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    Ive had the Pre2 before, and Im very experienced with WebOS.

I don't mind the screen size of the pixi, and Im wondering if the Veer would be a good option for me over the Pre2.

I will be switching to a different carrier (probably verizon) in a year and a half or so, with that in mind, I am looking for a device to last me that long. I wouldn't mind the Pre3 but I like the idea of a little phone to compliment a tablet.

My work requires me to be always available for a quick email or calendar appointments.

Does anyone here use their Veer as a daily driver, and are expecting to use it for a while?

And the last question. I like the white Veer. Will it have potential to get dirty after a while?
    People can offer their thoughts, but I think Veer vs. Pre2 is a question that only you can answer. My best advice is to go to AT&T or Best Buy and pretend you're typing out a work e-mail, or similar. Go through all the motions, see how you like the hardware.

To answer your other question, I personally do use the Veer as a daily driver and plan on using it until my contract is up. Great little phone. I have a black Veer, so I can't comment on the white version.

Good luck!
    Nokia 5160 > Nokia 8390 > Nokia 6800 > Nokia E62 > HP Veer 4G
    The Veer and Pre2 dont have much difference except:

1. Pre2 has a flash for the camera.
    2. Pre2 has twice the RAM

Otherwise the Veer is a mini Pre 2 so the big question is do you want small or medium. Currently, the Veer is exclusive to ATT and what happens to Verizon 1.5 years from now is anyones guess but by then HP will have webOS phones that are nothing like the Veer/Pre3. Having a white device will always have a risk of getting dirty but there is the black Veer in case
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    twice the USB storage, not twice the RAM...
    Pre 2- bigger display, 16GB, camera flash

Veer 4G- better keyboard, better slider, better overall build quality, touch-to-share capable

I choose Veer 4G
    I love my Veer. You will be pleasantly surprised at just how much smaller it feels compared to the Pre2 (regardless of actual measurements, the Veer feels like half the size).

Performance suffers a bit in my experience. With regard to lag only, using the Veer has been more akin to the experience on my original Pre than the Pre2. I'm not saying the Veer is like the original Pre in any other regard - just that the typical "webOS lag" is present more so in the Veer than in the Pre2.

For me, the portability is worth the trade off. And the keyboard is just brilliant.
    also remember the pre 2 has a bigger app selection
    Veer is VERY small. I got one for my wife and if she decides she doesn't like it, I may trade her my Pre2 for a while to see how it goes in the real world. She will never push it as hard as I do.
    The Veer has an 800mhz CPU versus the Pre 2 which has a 1 Ghz CPU.

The Veer has a 2.6" diagnal 320 x 400 display, versus the Pre 2s 3.1" diagnal 320 x 480 display.

The Veere has a fixed focus 5 megapixel camera with no flash versus the Pre 2's same but with a flash.

Those are some of the highlighted differences, aside from the obvious:

The Veer is way smaller and lighter than the Pre 2.

The Veer uses a use applied magnetic dongle for the headphone jack and USB hook up - the Pre 2 has both of those built into the hardware.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

From what I've read, other than the flash, the choice is really about size,
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I have been a Sprint Pre owner since June 10, 2009 and just recently purchased the white Veers on Amazon. I have used it for almost 36 hours and this thing fast! If you have a tablet then the Veer compliments any tablet perfectly.

I could see how the white might get dirty after awhile but mine looks great right now. I share the same concern you do with it getting dirty over time.

I'm giving AT&T a test run this month on service. I have always been a loyal Sprint customer and they are the least expensive per month by far. I would keep the phones but the only thing bothering me is that the AT&T monthly plan doesn't really compare to Sprint's and I might switch back to Sprint.

Overall though, with already being familiar to WebOS, you will enjoy the quickness and handling of this little but powerful device. I would say make the change because the keyboard alone is worth the upgrade.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    One thing I forgot to add. The headphone jack I thought was going to be a big issue. It's really not an issue at all. I have one pair of headphones and I always keep the Veer attachment on the headphones. I've had the headphones for over 5 years so losing the small attachment is not a concern of mine anymore. That was a big deterrent for me in making a decision, but I took the chance and this does not worry me anymore.
    I have the black Veer, and my daughter has the white one. The white exterior is a little bit harder than the black, which feels more like smooth rubber. The white has an almost egg-shell sort of feel to it. I like the white a lot. I suspect it will hold up pretty well and not get dirty, or at least be pretty easy to clean if it does get dirty.

I really love the Veer. I dont miss the screen size of the Pre really at all, and it feels much faster. And the network speed is an order of magnitude faster than Sprint. 3mbps vs 300kbps. And if you like to carry your phone in your pocket, this is absolutely unbeatable. Can't say enough good things about it.

Oh, but I would be remiss if I didnt mention that the audio quality is spectacular. It's the best sounding portable audio Ive ever listened to, and the more I listen it, the more I love it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    jbg7474, you're making it hard for me to wait for the Pre3... I have yet to check the Veer out in person, though.
    I switched from the Pre 2 and I'm glad I did. I love the Veer as my primary device for email, calendar, etc. My only complaint is that it freezes up a lot when receiving a phone call resulting in a lot of missed calls.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    just got back from ATT and looked at the Veer. Wow that little guy is small. Im sure you would get used to it but in this day and age of 3"+ screens, it seems so tiny. I loved it though!

The build quality is awesome. I would go out and get one right now, but then I would want to go out and get a Pre3 too!
    Regardless of whether the Veer is actually '4G', the connection is still quite a bit faster than any 3G smartphone.