Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64
  1.    #1  
    Let's talk about this...

    Why do people think a Cdma Radio can't fit in a veer?

    Sheesh!, Cdma Radios are in all kinds of small phones.


    Myth Busted:
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Size has no bearing on inclusion of CDMA radio in a Veer.

    Anyone saying 'you can't fit a CDMA radio in a Veer' has no idea what they are talking about.

    -- Rod
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/26/2011 at 04:23 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
  2. #2  
    good point. plenty of dumbphones are smaller tha the veer and have cdma radios. but there are other things in the veer that arent in those phones. perhaps dropping cdma meant keeping wifi or 512MB RAM or 8GB HDD or 2 noise canceling mics
  3. bignoze's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    #3  
    becuase the dumb is strong.....
  4. #4  
    Simply, HP couldn't squeeze Veer enough to fit it in a CDMA carrier, or they have 6 months exclusive deal with AT&T which gives them just enough time to file CDMA version to FCC.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    good point. plenty of dumbphones are smaller tha the veer and have cdma radios. but there are other things in the veer that arent in those phones. perhaps dropping cdma meant keeping wifi or 512MB RAM or 8GB HDD or 2 noise canceling mics
    I'm not sure if that's a good point since it's not necessarily size that we're talking about. It's how cramped the inside is. How many phones are so cramped for space they put the headphone jack and USB charge port on the outside?!?
    Last edited by deesugar; 05/26/2011 at 06:31 PM.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Let's talk about this...

    Why do people think a Cdma Radio can't fit in a veer?

    Sheesh!, Cdma Radios are in all kinds of small phones.
    I agree. last time I checked, when I FrankenPred my Pre 2, the Sprint CDMA radio & Unlocked GSM radio where the same size, which is why they can be swapped. I think the real reason the Veer is GSM only is because neither Sprint nor Verizon wanted to carry it.

    Let's please put these CDMA radios are too big rumors to rest.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    they put the telephone jack and USB charge port on the outside?!?
    **** I can plug a landline phone into the Veer??? ***? Sorry couldn't help it
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I agree. last time I checked, when I FrankenPred my Pre 2, the Sprint CDMA radio & Unlocked GSM radio where the same size, which is why they can be swapped. I think the real reason the Veer is GSM only is because neither Sprint nor Verizon wanted to carry it.

    Let's please put these CDMA radios are too big rumors to rest.
    Not saying right or wrong, I thought the same thing.... But you are talking about the whole com board, Pre's also have removable batteries (by this logic there is no reason the veer shouldn't have a removable battery).

    From my understanding the com board contains ALL communication parts (radios?) on a single board. The veer may have these pieces configured in a different way (in the instance of the Pre we are comparing one board to one board not one radio to one radio).

    I am still wondering if it's the 3G vs. 4G thing someone else mentioned. Maybe you can fit a CDMA radio, but for 4G on CDMA you would have to add an LTE or WiMax radio. All speculation of course, but it may be that the CDMA radio fits, but could mean marketing a 3G only phone (after the 4G has been released).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9. #9  
    AT&T has sponsored webOS developer events. Something tells me the Veer being exclusive to AT&T was part of that deal.

    Plus, even AT&T is turning on an LTE network this year. An HP Veer2 with LTE radio released next year would work on both AT&T and Verizon.
  10. #10  
    Size has no bearing on inclusion of CDMA radio in a Veer.

    Anyone saying 'you can't fit a CDMA radio in a Veer' has no idea what they are talking about.

    -- Rod
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Size has no bearing on inclusion of CDMA radio in a Veer.

    Anyone saying 'you can't fit a CDMA radio in a Veer' has no idea what they are talking about.

    -- Rod
    /thread
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Size has no bearing on inclusion of CDMA radio in a Veer.

    Anyone saying 'you can't fit a CDMA radio in a Veer' has no idea what they are talking about.

    -- Rod
    Rod-

    Any thoughts on the 4G thought? For CDMA that adds an additional radio whereas the GSM is a single radio?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Size has no bearing on inclusion of CDMA radio in a Veer.

    Anyone saying 'you can't fit a CDMA radio in a Veer' has no idea what they are talking about.

    -- Rod
    FUD Ruckers Busted!
    Just call me Berd.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Rod-

    Any thoughts on the 4G thought? For CDMA that adds an additional radio whereas the GSM is a single radio?
    Look at the Veer Qualcomm SoC specs.

    -- Rod
  15. #15  
    I could be overlooking something - but the problem could be no more complex than not having enough battery capacity to make the Veer a viable CDMA phone. The reality is that CDMA phones use a bit more power per hour and there is limited real estate in the phone for all of the various bits. Putting a CMDA and an LTE radio and a small battery may have left them with a phone with a more limited battery life.

    On top of this - the CDMA carriers may not have expressed interest in the phone with the specs that this would have resulted in.
  16. #16  
    A CDMA solution also wouldn't need a removable SIM card slot, so having a GSM radio may end up taking up more volume in the device.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I could be overlooking something - but the problem could be no more complex than not having enough battery capacity to make the Veer a viable CDMA phone. The reality is that CDMA phones use a bit more power per hour and there is limited real estate in the phone for all of the various bits. Putting a CMDA and an LTE radio and a small battery may have left them with a phone with a more limited battery life.

    On top of this - the CDMA carriers may not have expressed interest in the phone with the specs that this would have resulted in.
    Wrong because GSM pre plus has a terrible battery life not lasting through the day. I know CDMA radio uses more power but Veer battery would have lasted 24 hrs which is acceptable on CDMA vs 30 hr on GSM. It would still be better than pre plus.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Size has no bearing on inclusion of CDMA radio in a Veer.

    Anyone saying 'you can't fit a CDMA radio in a Veer' has no idea what they are talking about.

    -- Rod
    Rod has spoken /thread
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Not saying right or wrong, I thought the same thing.... But you are talking about the whole com board, Pre's also have removable batteries (by this logic there is no reason the veer shouldn't have a removable battery).

    From my understanding the com board contains ALL communication parts (radios?) on a single board. The veer may have these pieces configured in a different way (in the instance of the Pre we are comparing one board to one board not one radio to one radio).

    I am still wondering if it's the 3G vs. 4G thing someone else mentioned. Maybe you can fit a CDMA radio, but for 4G on CDMA you would have to add an LTE or WiMax radio. All speculation of course, but it may be that the CDMA radio fits, but could mean marketing a 3G only phone (after the 4G has been released).

    You're right, I was thinking radio when the process actually involves the whole com board.
  20. #20  
    Some people just don't understand technology, Its not the RADIO that wont fit in the phone its the WAVELENGTH!!

    You see, a frequency of, say, 1800 MHz (GSM 1800) equates to a wavelength of 300,000,000 / 1,800,000,000 = 0.167m or a wavelength of about 16.7cm.

    At 900 MHz everything is twice as big, so 900 MHz gives a wavelength of 33.4cm.

    Since CDMA phones CAN have a frequency as low as 800, while ATT is for the most part at 1900, that means that the CDMA wavelength is more than twice as large as large as the ATT GSM wavelength!

    Its no wonder they can't fit that big wavelength in such a tiny phone, jeeez!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions