Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    FYI, UMTS 3G (at least as it is deployed in most areas) is based on code-division, not time-division. It's not the same as GSM 2G.

-- Rod
    Beat me to it. This is why the iPhone 3G's battery life was orders of magnitude worse than the (EDGE-only) original.

The Veer doesn't have better battery life because it's GSM (unless you're running on EDGE all the time); it has better better life because of improvements in webOS and the smaller display.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I will gladly join in on the conversation. The thread is about the CDMA radio being to large for the Veer, which has been previously stated in the thread to be false information by the great and quite knowledgeable Rod Whitby, I second this and am in full agreeance with him.
    Your reply was to why the Veer was made GSM only. I was hoping to hear your opinion on that. I'm not expecting an answer, just hoping you might.
    The GSM/UMTS version of the Veer is the first to be released.

I have not seen any statement from HP confirming or denying whether there would be further versions of the Veer using different radio technologies.

It's clear that the decision on which model to release first would be based on a complex combination of global market penetration, global market forecasts, carrier relationships, carrier negotiations, carrier pricing, regulatory body approvals, technology challenges, cannibalisation risk for previous and future products, and probably a number of other things that I'm not aware of when it comes to cellular product planning decisions.

To state that the decision is based on any single one of those factors simply shows a lack of understanding of the complexity of product planning and marketing.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The GSM/UMTS version of the Veer is the first to be released.

I have not seen any statement from HP confirming or denying whether there would be further versions of the Veer using different radio technologies.

It's clear that the decision on which model to release first would be based on a complex combination of global market penetration, global market forecasts, carrier relationships, carrier negotiations, carrier pricing, regulatory body approvals, technology challenges, cannibalisation risk for previous and future products, and probably a number of other things that I'm not aware of when it comes to cellular product planning decisions.

To state that the decision is based on any single one of those factors simply shows a lack of understanding of the complexity of product planning and marketing.

-- Rod
    I think what it amounts to is HP wanted a phone that could enter the maximum number of markets for the minimum amount of cost. For all we know, the profit margin on the Veer may stink. Making a GSM-only version ensures it still hits it projected profit numbers. A CDMA version may just not have enough global reach to reach those numbers.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234