Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    becuase the dumb is strong.....
    best. post. today.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Some people just don't understand technology, Its not the RADIO that wont fit in the phone its the WAVELENGTH!!

You see, a frequency of, say, 1800 MHz (GSM 1800) equates to a wavelength of 300,000,000 / 1,800,000,000 = 0.167m or a wavelength of about 16.7cm.

At 900 MHz everything is twice as big, so 900 MHz gives a wavelength of 33.4cm.

Since CDMA phones CAN have a frequency as low as 800, while ATT is for the most part at 1900, that means that the CDMA wavelength is more than twice as large as large as the ATT GSM wavelength!

Its no wonder they can't fit that big wavelength in such a tiny phone, jeeez!
    AT&T Veer GSM wavelength is 850MHz. (35+cm)

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rod, even if the numbers weren't right... you have to admit that was a funny post about trying to it longer wavelengths into a smaller phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Rod, even if the numbers weren't right... you have to admit that was a funny post about trying to it longer wavelengths into a smaller phone...
    You seem to have missed the smiley at the end of my message above.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I've tried a few times to debunk the "CDMA radio is too big for the Veer" myth that somehow cropped up, but I guess logic doesn't work 'round these parts...

*sigh*.
    Like I said, the argument that the Veer won't come to sprint because its an AT&T exclusive and a CDMA radio won't fit in the Veer is ignorant and groundless. There are plenty of tiny phones with CDMA radios and phone/carrier exclusivity on the Sprint Pre lasted only 6 months, as I suspect will be the case with the Veer.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I've tried a few times to debunk the CDMA radio is too big for the Veer myth that somehow cropped up.

*sigh*.
    My Veer should be arriving today or Monday. I'll open it up and take some pictures.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    My Veer should be arriving today or Monday. I'll open it up and take some pictures.

-- Rod
    YAY!

Been wanting to see one pulled apart!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Keep in mind that it's "exclusive" by default if no other carrier was willing to take it... I'm sure every carrier focused on the Pre3 like we all do. Kudos to AT&T for taking a chance.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I've tried a few times to debunk the CDMA radio is too big for the Veer myth that somehow cropped up.

*sigh*.
    FUD Ruckers are dedicated to their agenda. The time they block out in their schedule to spread their FUD is rather impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Wow, you have an infrared camera to take pics of the wavelengths? Kewl!
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Wow, you have an infrared camera to take pics of the wavelengths? Kewl!
    As long as the blue smoke doesn't leak out, I think I'll be fine.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    FUD Ruckers are dedicated to their agenda. The time they block out in their schedule to spread their FUD is rather impressive.
    I thought they just made great hamburgers

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    **** I can plug a landline phone into the Veer??? ***? Sorry couldn't help it
    My multitasking skills aren't what they used to be

But unless they can shoehorn a 4G radio in it, I doubt they could get people excited about a slower phone. It's like going from Pre Plus to Pre Minus (data-wise).
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    YAY!

Been wanting to see one pulled apart!
    Derek pulled his evaluation unit apart and published pics on the P|C main page a few weeks ago. Lots of tiny stuff in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Derek pulled his evaluation unit apart and published pics on the P|C main page a few weeks ago. Lots of tiny stuff in there.
    Meh, he just pulled the back off. I'm talking about *really* taking it apart.

-- Rod
    Hidden camera proof that Rod is already dismantling his Veer:

I see pandas.
    Sedagive?!
    not only can a cdma radio fit in a veer sized phone, but can't a 3.5 mm headset jack and charging port also fit, along with a removable battery? It did in the kin phone, and it has in quite a few small flip phones.

I think it was just a design decision by palm, for whatever reason. Anything else said is just speculation. I think the veer is a nice phone, but these subtle but silly (in my opinion at least) hardware decisions will hold it back...esp the magnetic adaptor.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Wrong because GSM pre plus has a terrible battery life not lasting through the day. I know CDMA radio uses more power but Veer battery would have lasted 24 hrs which is acceptable on CDMA vs 30 hr on GSM. It would still be better than pre plus.

I can't validate your numbers but I agree I'd be happy if I could get 24 hours of off and on use on a cdma veer.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast