Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
    well... not "boar", but you get the point.

i don't like putting the veer in my pocket because i don't want lint getting in the speaker/earpiece grill, so i always set it on the table whenever i'm sitting around somewhere. it almost never fails that someone comments on it like...

"*** is that?"
    "wow that's a small phone."
    "hp makes phones now?"
    "that's all there is to it?"

no one ever commented on my pre. they sure in the heck didn't comment when i had the evo because of the "new android phone flavor of the week" idea.

anyone else with a veer get comments on it regularly?
    I think this is one reason, instead of a commercial, or NY time add, what H/P need for Veer is shelf space, as much as they can get, at Walmart, at Best Buy, staples, everywhere. Shelf space and more shelf space. Its only when you see this phone that you realize how cute it is.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    So I guess "It's so tiny" now is a positive thing?

Actually leaning towards a Veer myself, the Pre ain't big but still very noticable while going for a walk or a run.
    Last edited by Andreas; 06/09/2011 at 05:03 AM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    I have gone into 3 AT&T stores to see the veer, and then wowed the sales staff with the device. They don't even know what they have... One store displayed it in the feature phone section instead of with smartphones.
    HP's only mistake with the Veer was giving exclusivity to AT&T. If it were on Sprint I'd have two myself.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    hey, i didnt say there arent women that dont like widdle things...
    and if you know women that like widdle things... then lucky you
    @donm527
    That is some funny stuff.

I was shocked at how small the "widdle" Veer was yesterday at ATT. That is crazy small and pretty amazing that it packs so much capability in there, but I have freakishly giant hands and can barely type on it, so I'm waiting for the Pre 3 on a different carrier. It does seem like the only thing ATT store ipeople know about the Veer is that it's pretty darn small. It's almost so small that you doubt that it does much more than a feature phone when in fact it is super capable and tiny at the same time. It does seem to have a great build quality as well. I get the sense that guys sporting Veers will be few and far between and it will be more popular with the ladies...just a hunch.

Wee widdle...that's funny.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Did he mean "attention magnet"?
    Like a pair of CFMPs?

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
    they liked the sleekness and sturdiness of the design.

People said that about my prom date...

Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    Like a pair of CFMPs?
    *shrug* I have one and also an X chromosome, and I love the damn thing. Best phone keyboard ever, fast, great battery life . . .
  8. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    HP's only mistake with the Veer was giving exclusivity to AT&T. If it were on Sprint I'd have two myself.
    One minor detail: it's physically impossible. This isn't a case of a carrier wanting exclusivity to get/keep subscribers. It's one where AT&T is the only viable carrier (because T-Mobile hasn't carried any webOS devices to date, and you'd need a radio with different frequency support) and it's physically impossible to design this phone for Sprint or Verizon. My hunch is that HP made a virtue of necessity and used that as part of their negotiating tactics.

Radios for the GSM technologies are notably smaller, even factoring in the space needed for a SIM card. Part of that is a question of more companies making chips for GSM technologies and putting more R&D efforts there. And you need 2 radios right now (CDMA + WiMAX for Sprint or CDMA + LTE for Verizon). Plus LTE radios are still big (exhibit A: the HTC ThunderBolt) and use a lot of juice.

We may see a 2nd gen Veer on Verizon if the components can be made small enough cost-effectively--a big if. I doubt Verizon would want a Veer 2 if it didn't do LTE, especially since AT&T is talking about the current Veer as a 4G device. For Sprint, it depends on what they decide to do with their network, since WiMAX for cell use doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
    Last edited by Q; 06/15/2011 at 09:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post

Radios for the GSM technologies are notably smaller, even factoring in the space needed for a SIM card. Part of that is a question of more companies making chips for GSM technologies and putting more R&D efforts there. And you need 2 radios right now (CDMA + WiMAX for Sprint or CDMA + LTE for Verizon). Plus LTE radios are still big (exhibit A: the HTC ThunderBolt) and use a lot of juice.
    I buy that CDMA+wimax or CDMA+LTE is bigger than GSM, but I have a hard time believing that there is a substantial size difference between CDMA and GSM. Do you have a reference for this?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    i get "is that a phone" comment a lot too!
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    One minor detail: it's physically impossible. This isn't a case of a carrier wanting exclusivity to get/keep subscribers. It's one where AT&T is the only viable carrier (because T-Mobile hasn't carried any webOS devices to date, and you'd need a radio with different frequency support) and it's physically impossible to design this phone for Sprint or Verizon. My hunch is that HP made a virtue of necessity and used that as part of their negotiating tactics.

We may see a 2nd gen Veer on Verizon if the components can be made small enough cost-effectively--a big if. I doubt Verizon would want a Veer 2 if it didn't do LTE, especially since AT&T is talking about the current Veer as a 4G device. For Sprint, it depends on what they decide to do with their network, since WiMAX for cell use doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
    Where's Rod???

Wish I could find the thread where he clarified this for me...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    That's impossible! Didn't you get the message? HP is filled with idiots...right? Or, maybe they actually did their homework and found that there might just be a market for this phone. If it was on VZW I would consider it.

I'm waiting to see if the Pre 3 is small enough to be the phone I go with, or do I end up getting a Pre 2 since I like it's size. I have no problems with my Pixi, so a Veer would easily be doable. I like my phones small, but with enough screen size to do common stuff without straining. Wish they would make a Pre 2 using the new hardware design and autofocus camera.
    This kiddo called the Veer was already in the Palm pipeline my friend.
    Veer is a nickname for Vera, one of Jon Rubenstein 9 year olds..........

It will be interesting when the first "real" HP phone comes out. Wishin' it's great 'cause we all benefit with WebOS being wildly successful
    Quote Originally Posted by sjaakb View Post
    Whoa. Is this true? If so, cool bit of webOS trivia.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjaakb View Post

It will be interesting when the first "real" HP phone comes out. Wishin' it's great 'cause we all benefit with WebOS being wildly successful
    I hope Vera is a Tiny little thing, or she may be insulted! And if he takes care of
    her like his 2 year old (6/6/09) we need to call the law!
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Haven't taken mine out yet! Just got a white one today. Absolutely love the thing. Palm might also have expanded into a new flying saucer looking building had they had this kind of a product on WebOS's launch!
    I also came back from a short affair with an Evo. Sorry! Capable phone, very rough around the edges OS.
    EA

Veer
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I wouldn't hesitate for more than lets say 30 secs! I just got one. Love it.
    EA

Veer
    I've never had so many people ask me about my phone. People really like the idea of a smaller smartphone. Even if it isn't for them, it seems like they appreciate the fact it exists.

Although... one of the women at work said "Isn't that the iCarly phone?"... I played dumb and said it was the Manny Pacquiao phone
    I guess in this case when the chicks say "It's so small" it's a good thing
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    True, unless you were hearing that before you got the phone.

Sure wish the Veer were available CDMA on Sprint. Then again, any new webOS phone on Sprint would be a bonus.
    Dan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12