1.    #1  
    My experience was really just a general observation/question about how the veer was displayed. I had no interaction with store personnel and no real wish to switch to AT&T.

The main issue I noticed was that the Veer's battery was completely dead. No touchstone, no magnetic connector to charge via USB.

I understand the the issues AT&T store employees might have in securing the magnetic charging port so that it won't be stolen... But what about anchoring a touchstone right on the display stand?

I can't understand why touchstones aren't under every display Veer. I think HP has thrown a softball right down the middle and AT&T isn't swinging.

Although, a dead battery would mean that the Veer has gotten some use since installation.

Has anyone else noticed Veers on display without adequate power?
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Definitely saw identical in gainesville FL
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  3.    #3  
    As I think about it more, AT&T typically uses those magnetic electronic security locks on their devices that fit snugly into a "holster" to prop the device upright. AT&T should really figure out a new method of securing Veers and other devices that rely on inductive charging. Really unprofessional.
    Same thing at an ATT store by me. At least it was out on the floor (two of them, actually) but I wish they'd display it on a Touchstone as you suggest. Seems like a no-brainer.

To be fair to HP, I have the feeling that no manufacturer besides Apple has enough clout to dictate planogram terms to the retail folks. Still, it would be nice if webOS had its own section in the stores, instead of hanging out amongst the rabble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralion View Post
    I understand the the issues AT&T store employees might have in securing the magnetic charging port so that it won't be stolen... But what about anchoring a touchstone right on the display stand?
    exactly this was done for the original Pre release in german O2 shops. It was a massice wooden construction with the touchgstone mounted on a metaltube.
    Der Palm Pre Werbeaufsteller von O2 | Olivers virtuelles PDA-Museum
    The Pre itself was secured by a wire mounted on the side of the chargingbackside (this is not in the picture as this is only a "museum"-rebuild).
    But this (perhaps magnetic) kind of kensington lock had some problems on the original Pre as it seemed to interfere with the touchstone, so it didn't charge all the time. Perhaps this is also a problem with Veer cause it is even smaller and a right position for charging and securing is hard to find.

But shame on HP the didn't figure out a way, cause a dead phone won't sell.

Oh there was also an artivle on Precentral, so they could have known
    GSM Pre caught in the 'wild,' strapped to O2 display | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ^ Those mounts were in some Sprint stores for the Pre- launch as well.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    The Veer has a lantern loop on it. Why can't a display put the Veer on a touchstone with a heavy weighted cable locked in the loop? You would think getting nearly everyone buying a Veer to walk out of the store with a touchstone as well would be a huge sales opportunity.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $manufacturer$ $is$ $responsible$ $for$ $designing$ $display$ $stands$, $shelves$ $etc$. $So$, $HP$ $had$ $to$ $design$ $and$ $provide$ $usable$ $stand$. $It$ $is$ $called$ $trade$ $marketing$. $Also$, $manufacturer$ $must$ $negotiate$ $product$ $position$ $in$ $stores$. $Nothing$ $is$ $random$ - $from$ $small$ $groceries$ $to$ $large$ $retail$ $stores$ $every$ $inch$ $of$ $store$ $is$ $for$ $rent$. $Don$'$t$ $fool$ $your$ $self$, $product$ $position$ $has$ $nothing$ $to$ $do$ $with$ $personal$ $likes$ $or$ $dislikes$ $of$ $store$'$s$ $employees$.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $manufacturer$ $is$ $responsible$ $for$ $designing$ $display$ $stands$, $shelves$ $etc$. $So$, $HP$ $had$ $to$ $design$ $and$ $provide$ $usable$ $stand$. $It$ $is$ $called$ $trade$ $marketing$. $Also$, $manufacturer$ $must$ $negotiate$ $product$ $position$ $in$ $stores$. $Nothing$ $is$ $random$ - $from$ $small$ $groceries$ $to$ $large$ $retail$ $stores$ $every$ $inch$ $of$ $store$ $is$ $for$ $rent$. $Don$'$t$ $fool$ $your$ $self$, $product$ $position$ $has$ $nothing$ $to$ $do$ $with$ $personal$ $likes$ $or$ $dislikes$ $of$ $store$'$s$ $employees$.
    What?

U.S. carrier stores very rarely use any manufacturer-specific displays. The phones are all mounted to the same style bracket/charging base, their positions dictated by a planogram issued by the carrier's retail merchandising department. AT&T is the biggest example, with WP7, webOS, Blackberry, Android, and dumb phones all mounted and marketed the same way.

The only exceptions in recent memory have been the iPhone (VZW and ATT), Pre on Sprint, and the Xoom on VZW.

I wish HP would have gotten an iPhone-like alcove for the Veer too, but it wasn't going to happen.
    I went to a corporate at&t store in West Vallet Cityand they had a great display set up for the Veer 4G. They didn't have a Touchstone available, but they did have the magnetic charger availble to show off the magnetic charging. The Veer 4G was also functioning at 100% awesomeness.