Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My wife just got a new Veer (she absolutely loves it btw!), but when she signed in with her palm profile (she switched to ATT from her original Pre on Sprint), none of the purchased apps came over to the Veer. Simple things like Angry Birds, etc, didn't transfer. Is this because the carrier changed? Do we have to repurchase those apps? Has anyone else experienced this? thnx.
    Some of those apps maybe using an optimized resolution build not compatible with the Veer. I think Angry birds does this, otherwise someone correct me. You did signed into the profile and not create a a new one right?? When You go into the app catalog for these apps you've purchased in the past, is it telling you to but them or download for free?
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    Some of those apps maybe using an optimized resolution build not compatible with the Veer. I think Angry birds does this, otherwise someone correct me. You did signed into the profile and not create a a new one right?? When You go into the app catalog for these apps you've purchased in the past, is it telling you to but them or download for free?
    your first sentence is spot on. i signed into my palm profile that went unused since last november. a lot of apps were disregarded because they are incompatible with with the veer.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info, guys. It seems that apps like Angry Birds are not going to come over from profiles that were for a Pre or Pre+ or Pre2, because only the Pixi version is compatible with the Veer (or at least only the Pixi version is offered in the Apps catalog). So most of the apps will probably need to be purchased again. But it's worth the huge bump in performance from the Veer. So far, so good.
    From what I understand, the non-Veer-compatible apps are still attached to the profile and will return if your wife ever upgrades to another, larger-screened device. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yep, that's what Hardbeatz (from Palm support) said in another thread in this forum regarding profiles.
    I dislike the fact that the versions for Pixi and Pre are counted as different programs. Imho you should buy one and be able to use it on either device. Definitely something HP should look into. But well, they probably focus on bringing the Pre3 and the TouchPad out of their doors.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    So if you buy Angry Birds for the Pre and get a veer, you must then buy a pixi/veer-version of angry birds?
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    so if you buy angry birds for the pre and get a veer, you must then buy a pixi/veer-version of angry birds?
    ding!
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Angry Birds-type gaming is the one thing I wouldn't want to do on a Veer. Just not enough real estate. However, I'd be happy to do just about everything else. Really nice phone.
    Contact Rovio about offerng a promo code for it. It's really up to them.

Yes, HP could improving the situation in the future (though I doubt they will), but they can't change the fact that the games have two different id's. It isn't really practical (not sure if it is even possible) to have one pdk app that can be distrubited to both platforms.
    It's possible... check screen size, resize if necessary. I just think noone does it.
    The issue with PDK apps is that they are compiled for the specific processor architecture, and the Pre and Pixi/Veer have different processor architectures in them.
    I wonder if we are going to run into this same problem when people go from the pre-,+,2 to the pre 3? That would suck for a lot of us who have $100+ dollars in apps

Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerman1 View Post
    I wonder if we are going to run into this same problem when people go from the pre-,+,2 to the pre 3? That would suck for a lot of us who have $100+ dollars in apps

Ken
    Shouldn't from everything I understand. (sorry no specific knowledge to back this up).

Wondering if Enyo will fix this issue as well (Pre app to Veer), any thoughts from those smarter than me?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I dislike the fact that the versions for Pixi and Pre are counted as different programs. Imho you should buy one and be able to use it on either device. Definitely something HP should look into. But well, they probably focus on bringing the Pre3 and the TouchPad out of their doors.
    Developers determine whether their apps are compatible with different versions of hardware. Compatibility has to be specified when the app is uploaded to Palm's servers. Most SDK apps will work just fine on any hardware. Most PDK apps need to be built for specific screen size. Most 3D games are PDK apps, unfortunately.

Carbon, for example, works great on the Veer. I bought it for my Pre, and when I transferred to the Veer, it came along. It even remembered my twitter credentials somehow. It is an SDK app, like most of the apps in the catalog.

Angry Birds, unfortunately, is a PDK app. The Pre version doesn't work on the Pixi/Veer screen size. Not sure whether the different processors come into play or not. The linux underpinnings should abstract that out. But maybe not. At any rate, it's not compatible with the Veer. Gotta buy the Pixi version.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Angry Birds-type gaming is the one thing I wouldn't want to do on a Veer. Just not enough real estate. However, I'd be happy to do just about everything else. Really nice phone.
    Not gonna lie, it's a tad cramped ... But it's still totally playable and just as much fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Shouldn't from everything I understand. (sorry no specific knowledge to back this up).

Wondering if Enyo will fix this issue as well (Pre app to Veer), any thoughts from those smarter than me?
    Not sure what's going to happen with the Pre 3, but Enyo is a whole new ball game. Apps developed for Enyo would be SDK apps, and in theory they will be able to scale to different screen sizes very easily. Palm said that Mojo apps would be supported, but that they'll run in a smaller window on the Touchpad. PDK apps will probably still have to be compiled to run on different screen sizes. It's possible that the Pre 3 will be able to run in a mode that emulates 320x480, so that would fix PDK apps. But I don't know for sure that Palm is going to do that.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I currently have a pixi plus on at&t and my plan is to get a Veer 4G. Do you guys think that the same thing that happened to Dashr1's wife will happen to me? Or will I be able to evade that problem since all the apps I have on my pixi plus are Veer 4G compatible?
    Quote Originally Posted by punyparker01 View Post
    I currently have a pixi plus on at&t and my plan is to get a Veer 4G. Do you guys think that the same thing that happened to Dashr1's wife will happen to me? Or will I be able to evade that problem since all the apps I have on my pixi plus are Veer 4G compatible?
    All your Pixi apps should transfer over.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast