Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What a disappointment. Obviously, there's the usual issues of a tiny screen (and yes, angry birds was pretty near impossible to play on that thing) but the real issue was how much trouble it had multi-tasking. With Angry Birds open and a bunch of other apps, the phone took 15-20 seconds to react to any gesture bar swipes! Swiping to move angry birds to card view would do nothing (angry birds continued to run), so I'd swipe again...and nothing..so then i'd wait and angry birds would suddenly go to card view and then right back to activated view (processing both swipes one right after the other despite having been done 7-10 seconds apart). So i'd swipe again, and the same thing would occur: a 15-20 second wait. When i finally was able to swipe Angry Birds away, the phone restarted itself.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Your experience is outside of the norm of what has been reported and experienced by other users. I'd chalk that up to the hardware that you played with more than the phone itself. The reviews have all mentioned how well it's done at multi tasking.
    How many apps were you running? PDK games like Angry Birds take up a decent amount of memory, so if you have a bunch of other cards open with a PDK game, it would probably slow the phone down.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    hard to believe....assuming somone jacked it...did you ever have somone play with your phone or computer to the brink of crashing it...sounds like the Veer was asking for a little help??
    I would also say this sounds outside the norm also. I played with the phone extensively and had absolutely no problem in cards or lag. You also mention you had issue with the tiny screen, well it's supposed to be tiny, that's the whole idea behind the phone.
    You know guys ....it’s like using a MINI for off road and telling me it’s no good because it bottoms out... come on …the VEER is a powerful phone for its size. I do not think there will be an ***** out there trying to play games with it. Maybe you want to use it as a GPS while driving…. please don’t tell me its no good because you cannot read the screen at 60 miles an hour. good luck.
    My experience with Veer. Before I had a chance with playing with Veer, I hated it. First time I saw it on our local AT&T store, I was quite impressed with the little device. It's cute, and fully functional. My wife didn't show any interest, I don't think she even touch the device.
    Second time, this AT&T store at the mall, they had a device with was broken. Screen isn't turning on, I think it was same issue that one of the guy here reported. i spoke to one of the sales person, he told me it was their second unit with same issue. He said he doesn't have any more unit to bring it out, both broken, waiting for replacement.
    Third time, yesterday, i went to the AT&T store during my lunch time at work, I played with Veer. They didn't have any preloaded app, so I was just opened few apps which was builtin. I was very surprise to see Too many card error message came up. At this point, I just gave up on Veer.
    Last edited by passlogix; 05/24/2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Yes, a couple of other people have posted getting the 'too many cards' message with the veer.
    My Pre2 gets unresponsive to touch when the screen is dirty or has fingerprints, it's much more sensitive to this than my Pre- and +. Must be the glass screen. This could be why the Veer was acting like that...
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    I actually just played with it also. I also hated it lol. I just think the screen size is bad. It seriously hinders use of the phone. I am not like the rest of the forum. I have serious doubts about the sales of veer. Most people dont want a tiny screen on a smartphone. It was running fine when I used it though. I would still take my pre1 over it. Screen size is just a big fail for me. Dont even try to bring up a webpage.
    Both times I've had a chance to play with a Veer I've had well over 20 apps open, stacks, notifications, blah blah blah, all without a hiccup. Not Angry Birds--BTW, what was Angry Birds doing on a demo unit?--but everything else I could throw at it. I found performance to be slightly better under "4G," but in both cases it was remarkable.

Not sure what the OP's issues were.

It's a damn impressive phone.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    You know guys ....itís like using a MINI for off road and telling me itís no good because it bottoms out... come on Öthe VEER is a powerful phone for its size. I do not think there will be an ***** out there trying to play games with it. Maybe you want to use it as a GPS while drivingÖ. please donít tell me its no good because you cannot read the screen at 60 miles an hour. good luck.
    Please. Even with a Pre- I never had that problem. Sure, it would lag and sometimes take a bit to react to gestures but NEVER has it restarted on me, and never been that big a lag. I do get the too-many-cards notice though.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Both times I've had a chance to play with a Veer I've had well over 20 apps open, stacks, notifications, blah blah blah, all without a hiccup. Not Angry Birds--BTW, what was Angry Birds doing on a demo unit?
    Best Buy had that on every phone I tried (including all the Android ones).
    A lot of times when I'm at a BB or something I'll restart a phone or tablet before playing around with it since I find they get sluggish with so many people using them.

I've made the switch from the Pre 2 to the Veer and love it. There are times I miss the screen space but I find myself using the web less and less and instead using apps like feeder and Spare Time which consolidates info nicely.
    I played with one for the first time today and thought it was a fantastic little device. It's certainly not for everyone, but in the short time I checked it out the phone performed great.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I've made the switch from the Pre 2 to the Veer and love it. There are times I miss the screen space but I find myself using the web less and less and instead using apps like feeder and Spare Time which consolidates info nicely.
    I have had the very same experience... instead of replying on the browser for a lot, I've turned to apps that give me a better 'web' experience for the things I do most of my browsing with - Feeder for Google Reader, Forums for reading stuff posted here, etc. If I were doing those things on an iPhone, I'd have used Mobile Safari - and with a far less pleasurable experience. If I really need a browser for something and I'm away from my desk, I send myself the link via email and wait until I get to a computer.

Also, as far as performance is concerned, all of the intelligent reviews thus far have pointed out that the Veer is no speed demon - it does have some lagginess... so I keep three cards open to email, messaging and calendar, and put away other apps when I'm done using them. Voila?

It's clear that the Veer isn't for everyone... trolls have extolled that 'virtue' no end here. If you're a Veer type of guy who wants power in a small package, it's a great little device. Can we call it a day/week/month on the complaints about the small screen size and keyboard please?

RootDude
    Last edited by rootdude; 05/25/2011 at 08:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Please. Even with a Pre- I never had that problem. Sure, it would lag and sometimes take a bit to react to gestures but NEVER has it restarted on me, and never been that big a lag. I do get the too-many-cards notice though.
    I have definately had the same thing happen on my Pre- so don't assume that the Veer is inferior to the original Pre. That would be a mistake...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Guys its very simple ....If you don't like something just don't purchase it.

Can it get any simpler? There are many choices of phones out there just purchase the one that you feel better with and move on. Itís kind of like a girlfriend if you donít like her get another one..trying to change the one you have is useless.

MOVE ONÖ WHAT IT IS IS WHAT IT IS...at best buy is for FREE.

I believe its very good phone for free.
    Yo,
    I checked out the veer at at&t when it came out. It was great. It was so much faster than my pre. If I had the nerve to switch to at&t, I would get the veer.

Peace,
    B.

p.s. I can palm a basketball.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    You have a Pre- and have never had it restart? I will call BS or say you are a very light user, I have crashed my Pre- many a time (including just yesterday). My wife had her Pre- randomly shut off on her yesterday as well. We love our phones and this is by no means a complaint, but since October of 2009 we have had many a crash or a freeze and battery pull.

Then again I consider myself a power user for sure, but I do take care of my electronics (we are both still on our original Pre's), I had to do the power button fix on the wifes a couple months back, and my ringer switch tweeks every once in a while and requires a slide back to audible then back to silent. Other than that, phones work great, never been Dr'd, but have definitely crashed/lagged/stopped responding more than once.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast