Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    Guys its very simple ....If you don't like something just don't purchase it.

Can it get any simpler? There are many choices of phones out there just purchase the one that you feel better with and move on. Itís kind of like a girlfriend if you donít like her get another one..trying to change the one you have is useless.

MOVE ONÖ WHAT IT IS IS WHAT IT IS...at best buy is for FREE.

I believe its very good phone for free.
    LMAO. Oh, so you never read reviews before buying something? Fine. But don't complain that others want to read reviews before weighing their options.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    You have a Pre- and have never had it restart? I will call BS or say you are a very light user, I have crashed my Pre- many a time (including just yesterday). My wife had her Pre- randomly shut off on her yesterday as well. We love our phones and this is by no means a complaint, but since October of 2009 we have had many a crash or a freeze and battery pull.

Then again I consider myself a power user for sure, but I do take care of my electronics (we are both still on our original Pre's), I had to do the power button fix on the wifes a couple months back, and my ringer switch tweeks every once in a while and requires a slide back to audible then back to silent. Other than that, phones work great, never been Dr'd, but have definitely crashed/lagged/stopped responding more than once.
    Do you use homebrew stuff on there?

I have two Palm phones, and one of them is my essential phone (the pre-). I use it a lot (web, apps, texting, etc) but never did ANY homebrew on it (I've homebrewed the other). And while I have restarted it many times, it has not restarted on me via crash even ONCE in almost two years of usage.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I think the crux of the matter is this: for some, the size of the Veer is a drawback, and for some it is a feature. Full stop. For those of you who fall into the first camp, don't buy the phone. It's not meant for you.

One of the main reasons I bought the Veer is because of its size. I don't begrudge anyone else of their choice but personally I have no need for a large phone. I have a dozen devices around the house that can play Pandora, stream Youtube, check Facebook, etc. My Jeep has a built-in GPS.

I just need my phone to do phone things; everything else that the Veer offers (which is quite a lot) is icing on a tiny cake.
    Nokia 5160 > Nokia 8390 > Nokia 6800 > Nokia E62 > HP Veer 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
    I think the crux of the matter is this: for some, the size of the Veer is a drawback, and for some it is a feature. Full stop. For those of you who fall into the first camp, don't buy the phone. It's not meant for you.

One of the main reasons I bought the Veer is because of its size. I don't begrudge anyone else of their choice but personally I have no need for a large phone. I have a dozen devices around the house that can play Pandora, stream Youtube, check Facebook, etc. My Jeep has a built-in GPS.

I just need my phone to do phone things; everything else that the Veer offers (which is quite a lot) is icing on a tiny cake.
    Some rationality! A rare quality indeed.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Much obliged.
    Nokia 5160 > Nokia 8390 > Nokia 6800 > Nokia E62 > HP Veer 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    My experience with Veer. Before I had a chance with playing with Veer, I hated it. First time I saw it on our local AT&T store, I was quite impressed with the little device. It's cute, and fully functional. My wife didn't show any interest, I don't think she even touch the device.
    Second time, this AT&T store at the mall, they had a device with was broken. Screen isn't turning on, I think it was same issue that one of the guy here reported. i spoke to one of the sales person, he told me it was their second unit with same issue. He said he doesn't have any more unit to bring it out, both broken, waiting for replacement.
    Third time, yesterday, i went to the AT&T store during my lunch time at work, I played with Veer. They didn't have any preloaded app, so I was just opened few apps which was builtin. I was very surprise to see Too many card error message came up. At this point, I just gave up on Veer.
    I have a feeling the people in these stores aren't rebooting these phones regularly. After you get people playing with phones and doing different things, the memory likely ran out. I'm not a fan of the Veer either but didn't have that negative of an impression as I thought I would. But I did say I hated the add on ports and unfortunately the one at the store I went to popped off too easily after picking up the phone, although it was easy to put back on.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I have a feeling the people in these stores aren't rebooting these phones regularly. After you get people playing with phones and doing different things, the memory likely ran out. I'm not a fan of the Veer either but didn't have that negative of an impression as I thought I would. But I did say I hated the add on ports and unfortunately the one at the store I went to popped off too easily after picking up the phone, although it was easy to put back on.
    I doubt they are rebooting any of those phones in the store. If this is some kind of memory issues, then this is clearly a bug that webos team should've fixed it. My first experience was only few days after Veer got released, and I liked it.

Sent from Tapatalk
    You have a Pre- and have never had it restart? I will call BS or say you are a very light user, I have crashed my Pre- many a time (including just yesterday). My wife had her Pre- randomly shut off on her yesterday as well. We love our phones and this is by no means a complaint, but since October of 2009 we have had many a crash or a freeze and battery pull.

Then again I consider myself a power user for sure, but I do take care of my electronics (we are both still on our original Pre's), I had to do the power button fix on the wifes a couple months back, and my ringer switch tweeks every once in a while and requires a slide back to audible then back to silent. Other than that, phones work great, never been Dr'd, but have definitely crashed/lagged/stopped responding more than once.
    My wife has had only one or two total crashes - and zero homebrew. I have had a number of them and fewer now that I only use applications and not patches. I miss the heck out of some of my patches and waver on the fence from time to time but my overall experience has been more consistent without using patches this time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I doubt they are rebooting any of those phones in the store. If this is some kind of memory issues, then this is clearly a bug that webos team should've fixed it. My first experience was only few days after Veer got released, and I liked it.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Well when I'm low on memory or too many things are apparently in the background, stuff crashes on my end too. No webOS. I think it's normal. One phone is ing me off due to this though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post

Same here. I have 17" laptop and I work on 24" monitor all day during work. I'd hate to look at and have a tablet sized phone in my pocket. The Veer suits me well.
    Last edited by Trader05; 05/24/2011 at 03:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I just returned from my local Best Buy. They had a display for it in the ATT section, but there was no phone. I figured someone else was testing it out, but I didn't see it in the hands of anyone. Eventually, a Rep came to see if he could assist me & I mentioned I was looking for the Veer. He said it wasn't on display because they couldn't secure/lock it to the setup.

BUT, he got the white phone & brought it over. The 1st thing I noticed was the battery was in the red. Anyway, I opened & closed the phone NUMEROUS times & the Veer felt very good in my hand. It wasn't HTC metal, but it was VERY solid, IMO. The Rep & I talked a bit. He knew it was webOS, but didn't really know much about it...so I decided to show him the cards, stacking, etc. These features all worked, but since the phone wasn't activated, I couldn't open apps like Youtube or Google Maps.

Even the Rep was pretty impressed w/the phone. Funny, though, when I asked if he had heard of "Just Type," he replied that, in fact, the keyboard was quite small. When I showed him what it was, "Wow, that's pretty cool." I couldn't show him the google search function since the phone wasn't activated. BTW, I have relatively fat fingers, but I thought typing on the Veer was easier than typing on my Pre-.

We talked phone plans & I really like the return policy program in place at BB. It has an official name (I forget), but even though the Veer is free w/a contract, if you returned it at the one year point, you would receive 50% the real price of the phone (over $200) you could use towards your next phone. Very good deal. Even after 2 years, you got some money/value back.

I did mention, it would make it more difficult to sell the phone w/1) it not on display, 2) the battery almost dead, & 3) w/the phone not activated so people could test out apps, etc. He agreed, but seemed to think it was their ATT guy's fault.
    What patches do you install? I've had several pres over the last couple years and have had one freeze maybe twice. Yes, I'm a power user, have Govnah and other kernel hacks installed - never been a big issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    My wife has had only one or two total crashes - and zero homebrew. I have had a number of them and fewer now that I only use applications and not patches. I miss the heck out of some of my patches and waver on the fence from time to time but my overall experience has been more consistent without using patches this time around.
    This is getting OT, but ditto for my wife, who's running only UberKernel. It's a Launch Day Pre, and I don't think it's ever crashed once. Unlike mine, which has has *ahem* a few tweaks.
    I, of course, had to ask specifically to see the Veer at BB. Once it was removed from the secret vault... I actually liked the size of the phone, but not the screen. I think if the screen took up more space on the actual phone, I'd really like the thing!
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rootdude View Post
    ...It's clear that the Veer isn't for everyone... trolls have extolled that 'virtue' no end here. If you're a Veer type of guy who wants power in a small package, it's a great little device. Can we call it a day/week/month on the complaints about the small screen size and keyboard please?

RootDude
    The amazing thing is, there seems to be so much more of this type of carping about the Veer than there was for the Pixi/Pixi+, and yet they have identically-sized screens and keyboards. One was a candy bar, one a slider. It is kind of strange!
    tim
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    The amazing thing is, there seems to be so much more of this type of carping about the Veer than there was for the Pixi/Pixi+, and yet they have identically-sized screens and keyboards. One was a candy bar, one a slider. It is kind of strange!
    That's a good point. The slider argument is valid. I think the real issue people have (subconciously or not) is that the Veer was released before the Pre 3 as opposed to the Pixi which was released after the Pre. I think many Pre owners are salivating for a new phone and don't want to 'downgrade' to do that.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    That's a good point. The slider argument is valid. I think the real issue people have (subconciously or not) is that the Veer was released before the Pre 3 as opposed to the Pixi which was released after the Pre. I think many Pre owners are salivating for a new phone and don't want to 'downgrade' to do that.
    You are most probably correct. The Pre owners already had theirs before the Pixi came out, so they didn't care enough to grouse! At least, I know why there is so much talk about how small the Veer is, when it's really what I've found very functional for a year now. I still hope they come out with a candy-bar style phone, with the guts of (at least) the Veer. (The Pixeer? The Vixi? Oh, Hell, here we go again!)
    tim
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    A lot of times when I'm at a BB or something I'll restart a phone or tablet before playing around with it since I find they get sluggish with so many people using them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I have a feeling the people in these stores aren't rebooting these phones regularly. After you get people playing with phones and doing different things, the memory likely ran out.
    Both of these. Truth.

Demo phones have people pawing at them all day long, all of them doing different things, and we all know webOS doesn't benefit from prolonged up-time under the BEST of circumstances. I'd never base any buying decision on a demo handset user experience. Even a reboot doesn't fix what some customers manage to do to those poor devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    and we all know webOS doesn't benefit from prolonged up-time under the BEST of circumstances
    I don't know any such thing. My original Pre runs for weeks before I reboot (I almost never reboot on purpose - usually just because the battery is empty).

The UeberKernel took care of the occasional TMC errors (which prior to that usually occured after running some 3D game).

The Pre+ and Pre2 should have even less problems running for weeks.

If you have trouble running your Pre for prolonged periods of time, my guess is that you have a particular app or patch that is troublesome.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    I don't know any such thing. My original Pre runs for weeks before I reboot (I almost never reboot on purpose - usually just because the battery is empty).

The UeberKernel took care of the occasional TMC errors (which prior to that usually occured after running some 3D game).

The Pre+ and Pre2 should have even less problems running for weeks.

If you have trouble running your Pre for prolonged periods of time, my guess is that you have a particular app or patch that is troublesome.
    Don't want to get sidetracked on a little OT detail like this, but both my Pre- and Veer benefited/benefit from regular reboots, even when stock. The Pre2 less so.
    webOS user since 20090606.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast