1.    #1  
    I got a new WebOS phone (Veer) and I had a small question about it and this seems like the right place to ask about it, since it has to do with the OS instead of any specific app.

I love the phone to death so far, incidentally. My favorite features thus far are the gummy keyboard that doesn't assault my fingernails like my Blackberry keyboard did, the fastest cut and paste commands I've seen on any phone (hold gesture area and hit c/v/etc), and the most logical "right click" function I've seen (holding down that big white function key and tapping something). I could go on. There's just so much about this OS that makes things effortless and makes things make sense that I'm instantly in love.

However, one thing I'm used to being able to do, which I haven't found a way to do yet, is playing Youtube and Flash music in the background. Occasionally I'll run into an online radio station which only has a Flash app to stream it, and while that works as long as the screen is on and the card is active, the second I turn the screen off or do something like check my mail the music shuts off until I make the card active again. Same thing with Youtube videos.

This is something I used to do a lot on my iPhone, for Youtube at least. (If you're curious how to do it, I use the latest iOS 4 and go to*www.youtube.com*in Safari, choose my video, click HQ for decent-quality sound, and click Play. After it starts playing, immediately hit the Home button. After that, double-tap Home to get to the multitasking interface, swipe to get to the music player controls, and they should show Safari instead of the iPod app. Then click Play. Enjoy being able to turn off the screen while listening to Youtube.)

Anyway, I'm sure there's a similar workaround for WebOS somewhere, to allow music coming from Youtube or the web browser to play in the background. How do I do it?
    Welcome to PreCentral, and thanks for your initial impressions on the Veer and webOS! Would love to hear more about how you were persuaded to switch platforms, and where you got your phone, etc.

I believe there's a patch for webOS that does what you're requesting, at least insofar as the YouTube app goes, but I don't think it's been enabled for 2.0+ devices like the Veer yet. In any case, you'll need Preware for it.

If you're interested in installing Preware on your Veer and opening it up to homebrew possibilities (more customization than possible out of box), see this thread. (People with a more modern or 2.0+ version of this thread, please correct me.)

Again, welcome!

EDIT: Link broken - no idea why I can't link to other P|C threads today. Your best bet is to go to the Homebrew Apps forum here and click on the stickied Preware thread.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tokomibashi View Post
    ...I use the latest iOS 4 and go to*www.youtube.com*in Safari, choose my video, click HQ for decent-quality sound, and click Play. After it starts playing, immediately hit the Home button. After that, double-tap Home to get to the multitasking interface, swipe to get to the music player controls, and they should show Safari instead of the iPod app. Then click Play. Enjoy being able to turn off the screen while listening to Youtube.)...
    First of all, welcome! I am glad you love your new Veer. I might be joining your club in a month or so.

Second, you made my evening with the above description. I was just laughing my **** off, comparing what you had to go through with iOS, and what it would be for you now on your new Veer! Sadly, so few people realize it.

I hope you are able to find a solution for this. Keep us posted on your experiences with your Veer. Those of us who are seriously considering it will truly appreciate it!
    tim
    Just heard on the P|C podcast from a few weeks back that there's currently no solution for keeping flash objects live in standby.
    The current iteration of Flash available doesn't allow for it to continue to function if the browser isn't full screen or screen turned off. I'm confident that a future version of Flash will correct this behavior.

I see the patch to allow no pause in video for webOS 2.1.2. I think this works with YouTube. Install it via Preware or WebOS Quick Install.
    Last edited by NachoB; 05/24/2011 at 07:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    My youTube app on the Treo Pro does the same thing (pause in background). Opera Mobile doesn't support Flash, so I can't attempt to do the background Flash thing.
    I thought Flash doesn't work in iOS, how is the OP able to use Safari to view Flash?
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Have you tried to find the radio station through radio apps like Tune In?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    there is a patch to allow videos to continue playing in the background and it is available for 2.1. I have it installed. After installing Preware through webOS Quick Install, use Preware to search under Patches > All for "remove video pause on minimize".
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tokomibashi View Post
    the fastest cut and paste commands I've seen on any phone (hold gesture area and hit c/v/etc), and the most logical "right click" function I've seen (holding down that big white function key and tapping something).
    Thanks for these two, I hadn't heard this anywhere else yet. For copy / paste, I saw the controls in the upper-left menu and thought that might be the only way. This is better.
    Nokia 5160 > Nokia 8390 > Nokia 6800 > Nokia E62 > HP Veer 4G
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    The current iteration of Flash available doesn't allow for it to continue to function if the browser isn't full screen or screen turned off. I'm confident that a future version of Flash will correct this behavior.
    My guess would be they're doing that to save battery. If you have a bunch of cards open with flash elements you really want them all running? I'm sure it would be nice in some specific cases but probably not for most sites.
    blue duck butter is right, the patch works. confirmed.
    That Patch does not work for streaming flash content. Only youtube

This needs a patch asap, to me if someone leaves a flash card open to drain the battery then its their fault. Lol.
    True! Im one for having options - good or not so good (although having a way to quickly drain the battery can be a good thing on occasion).