Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This reminds of the Kin fiasco. But at leastthe Kin had commercials. I have yet to see one tv commercial or ad pop-up on the web and I frequent a lot of mobile and tech sites. Has anyone read the "ATT store visit" thread? It's real bad. I had to go to an att store to exp it myself. The veer was powered but the screen was froze grey. Nobody except for me seemed to care. Hopefully the CEO at HP reads that thread to see it's value. Maybe the precentral guys can send it to the folks at HP. I have a sinking feeling the Pre3 will have a similar fate. Veer is already offered for free.
    This is a tired theme. Really tired. Then check out the front page of Pre|Central.net:

HP places Veer ad on back of New York Times, actual size is still really small | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    Tired, but oh soooooo true!!

I finally got a Veer ad in my consumer HP email. Took them long enough, phone was released days ago. $50. Already the price is cut in half by them.

http://p.p0.com/YesConnect/HtmlMessa...msgVersion=web
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    i don't think the veer has truly launched yet. yeah, they've soft launched it, but have not train retailers or even provided them all with launch material. My guess is we'll see an ad campaign soon.

i think $50 is a fine price if they are indeed going at the dumb phone market. given the components inside, they're likely taking a hit, but it would be worth it to get webOS into more hands and into the minds of developers.
    There hasn't been a launch. A phone was made available for sale.

The lack of a marketing push is probably because the Veer is just a small part of HP's plans for webOS. I expect to see things pick up as the Pre 3 and Touchpad are released.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Tired, but oh soooooo true!!
    Not really; just tired. No one seems to understand the concept of a soft-launch. I don't understand why that is.

I finally got a Veer ad in my consumer HP email. Took them long enough, phone was released days ago. $50. Already the price is cut in half by them.
    AT&T is the one selling it for $99.99. BBY is selling it for free. HP, who sent the email, is selling it for $49.99. Looks like they've got all tiers covered. There's been no "price drop."
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    This is a tired theme. Really tired. Then check out the front page of Pre|Central.net:

[url= places Veer ad on back of New York Times, actual size is still really small | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community[/url]
    That tired feeling you have is called reality. To make our voices and concerns known is part of the process. Otherwise HP make think they are doing the right thing, when they're not. Case in point, the link you provided for the NY Times ad for the Veer. I quick google reveals that the average age of the NY Times reader print edition is 42. Let alone the fact that the Veer target audience doesn't buy or read newspapers. Also the NYtimes online edition charges a fee to read their news. The Veer's target audience doesn't exist in those spaces. An exception would be women. But I can't see a busy female exec going for a relatively unknown feature phone. They're already on blackberries or android. Switching to new OS isn't easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    That tired feeling you have is called reality. To make our voices and concerns known is part of the process. Otherwise HP make think they are doing the right thing, when they're not. Case in point, the link you provided for the NY Times ad for the Veer. I quick google reveals that the average age of the NY Times reader print edition is 42. Let alone the fact that the Veer target audience doesn't buy or read newspapers. Also the NYtimes online edition charges a fee to read their news. The Veer's target audience doesn't exist in those spaces. An exception would be women. But I can't see a busy female exec going for a relatively unknown feature phone. They're already on blackberries or android. Switching to new OS isn't easy.
    I'm pretty sure that HP measures success by sales, profit, and share prices. I havent seen user forum approval charts in theif annual report or 10k filings.
    .... I quick google reveals that the average age of the NY Times reader print edition is 42. Let alone the fact that the Veer target audience doesn't buy or read newspapers. .......

And, who do you think IS this "target audience"?
    That tired feeling you have is called reality. To make our voices and concerns known is part of the process. Otherwise HP make think they are doing the right thing, when they're not. Case in point, the link you provided for the NY Times ad for the Veer. I quick google reveals that the average age of the NY Times reader print edition is 42.
    A quick Google search also reveals that people in that age group are more likely than ever to have teenage children, who I suspect are part of the target market you're referring to.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    And, who do you think IS this "target audience"?
    Teenagers or tweens. Folks with small hands. Someone made a comment about parents buying phones. That maybe true but that would mean those same parents would have to be impressed with webos. If that is the case they would already own a previous webos device. Most kids tell their parents what they want. I don't see phones any different. Heck my 6year already wants a "iphone 4" because two kids at her school have one.

Another name for a soft launch is a NO launch. The purpose of releasing the veer is to get folks excited about webos. As of right now it's not working.
    Another name for a soft launch is a NO launch.
    No it's not. A soft launch serves many purposes, all of which are important to the health of a platform and a business, particularly one that's gone through what webOS has in the past year.

The purpose of releasing the veer is to get folks excited about webos.
    Source? You have no idea what HP's motivations are behind releasing the Veer, or the amount of marketing they are or are not putting into it.
    Last edited by VCI_Cell; 05/23/2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Premature send
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    A quick Google search also reveals that people in that age group are more likely than ever to have teenage children, who I suspect are part of the target market you're referring to.
    Based on these facts - 42 years old, NYT reader - I would say HP is going after a corporate business woman looking to replace her BB and doesn't care about Apple and Android but is instead attracted by the compact size and form factor. Seems like a good group to target. Lot's of disposable income. Good prospect to sell Touchpads to.
    VZW Pre Plus 2.1.0 w/SR71 running at 1.2 Ghz; VZW Pix Plus Stock.
    kind of curious about what the sales figures are so far. i think the veer will be free w/contract by mid june

better yet, free with touchpad
    Last edited by c_legaspi; 05/23/2011 at 07:18 PM.
    ^ probably less than 1,000. Hence the "soft" in soft launch. Once they really start pushing it (I'd wager at the start of June, and/or along with the TouchPad as a companion device) and shipping large volumes to retailers, we'll see that number balloon.
    i'd guess less than 500.
    international or domestic... dont really know if it was released elsewhere
    It's ridiculous to have the phone on the ATT wall and the reps know nothing about what it does or how it works.

"with a common definition of Product Launch. A Product Launch is the process of bringing a product to market in such a way that it generates sales velocity.

The terms "Soft Launch" and "Hard Launch" are used with broad definitions so a common understanding is needed of the two terms.

A Soft Launch is the process of bringing a minor revision of a product to market where an investment in generating sales velocity isn't justified.

A Hard Launch is the process of bringing a major revision of a product to market where an investment in generating sales velocity is necessary.

Sometimes the term Soft Launch is used to describe when a product isn't really launched but has escaped from the building, or to justify why minimal effort has gone into planning for a real product launch."

http://www.pragmaticmarketing.com/re...vs-hard-launch

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Teenagers or tweens. Folks with small hands. Someone made a comment about parents buying phones. That maybe true but that would mean those same parents would have to be impressed with webos. If that is the case they would already own a previous webos device. Most kids tell their parents what they want. I don't see phones any different. Heck my 6year already wants a "iphone 4" because two kids at her school have one.

Another name for a soft launch is a NO launch. The purpose of releasing the veer is to get folks excited about webos. As of right now it's not working.

ok, we get that you dont like the Veer or the horse it rode in on. So you arent forced to buy one. You are also not forced to talk others out of it. Ive played with the Veer. Ifit came to vzw there would be at least one in my house. Others in the forum have purchased the Veer and really like them.

i dont understand the need to keep hammering on the same theme. As one who has worked with carriers, worked on 'soft launches' etc, i dont see anything that says FAIL except these repetitive threads. We all wish they'd sell a million of them. We all wish theyy'd advertise (and they've said said that they will)... But HP is running there business. Ive been involved in similar launches, this is a familiar (if boring) story.

i hope there are better things to do than keep rehashing the same thing, especially when those that ACTUALLY HAVE ONE have been mostly reportiing that they like the phone.

/rant

i dont understand the need to keep making the
    As i just posted, i have personally been part of the team that planned and executed more than onesoft launch and your definition isnt even close. You described either a 'point release' or an 'in line upgrade' but not a soft launch. Just saying..

Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    It's ridiculous to have the phone on the ATT wall and the reps know nothing about what it does or how it works.

"with a common definition of Product Launch. A Product Launch is the process of bringing a product to market in such a way that it generates sales velocity.

The terms "Soft Launch" and "Hard Launch" are used with broad definitions so a common understanding is needed of the two terms.

A Soft Launch is the process of bringing a minor revision of a product to market where an investment in generating sales velocity isn't justified.

A Hard Launch is the process of bringing a major revision of a product to market where an investment in generating sales velocity is necessary.

Sometimes the term Soft Launch is used to describe when a product isn't really launched but has escaped from the building, or to justify why minimal effort has gone into planning for a real product launch."

Soft Launch vs Hard Launch — Pragmatic Marketing, world's most popular product management training
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast