Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nicemarmot View Post
    They are not going to sell any phones if their strategy is the same one they use for computers. They have significantly more product and real estate in Best Buy than they ever will at any of the 4-scratch that- 3, carriers. Apple didn't invent the launch, they just had success because there was clamor for their product. Without educating anyone PRIOR to launch, how can they have clamor, much less, interest when it drops? Nobody I know was expecting them to arrive on doves of peace, or with some other outlandish p.r. stunt, but what was the point of even having an initial press release announcing a launch date? It was universally acknowledged, unlike every other smartphone launch previously, that no one knew what they were selling or had any in stock for even the few of us that showed up. As I have said before, these are ankle-level expectations. No matter what any PRPRPR $shill$ $tells$ $you$, $this$ $launch$ $was$, $as$ $Timmy$ $accurately$ $described$, $a$ &$quot$;$fiasco$.&$quot$;
    Well, there we have the definitive and final authority as to what will/won't work for HP, and that the Veer will soon be a Harvard Business School case study in failure. Nothing more can be said. We now have the complete story. Cool!

408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I finally saw the Veer in person. First thought was people with big hands may not like this phone. I have small hands so it was OK for me. Second thought, females who like to carry smaller purses are perfect for the Veer.
    This post made me smile. The Veer, I think, has huge WOW-factor, just for being different. And that will make it popular, I think.
    NNJ
    i dunno...

imo this is kinda different... hooters is experimenting with a new process that they are testing at one or two locals and if its a fail then they can save money and just 86 at that point or make changes. or if a restaurant tries a new sauce in one store to see if there is any interest and if there isn't they wont put it in any other stores.

but... the pre and veer and touchpad have already had their big announcements in january in big fanfare... the products are set... they are commited.. they are releasing them, no question about it (or is there?!). we just dont know when, lol.

so why do a soft launch of the veer? find last minute bugs? imo that's just **** poor development then. that's like saying 'we have the phone, we're commited to launching this summer. we've been working on it forever so it's not beta... but let's just sell a few here and there to see how people like it.'

huh?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    BTW, another example: Hooters did a soft launch of their on-line ordering system in early 2010. They put a link on their site to let you order wings on line for pick up at the closest store. They didn't so anything but add the link so they could measure and analyze things for a while and be ready to advertise the new feature in time for the Super Bowl. Again, they called it a soft launch. I only know that because they were one of my customers and I sold them some equipment for that system. They soft launched and monitored the new system to make sure that they wouldn't crash when they started advertising.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    This post made me smile. The Veer, I think, has huge WOW-factor, just for being different. And that will make it popular, I think.
    Yeah, I was curious what the BB and ATT online reviews are, so went and skimmed over them. It is getting pretty good reviews. It will be interesting to see the reviews in a couple more weeks after the advertising kicks in more.
    I see pandas.
    I am not defending HP's strategy. I was providing examples of where the term 'soft launch' was used in product launches.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i dunno...

imo this is kinda different... hooters is experimenting with a new process that they are testing at one or two locals and if its a fail then they can save money and just 86 at that point or make changes. or if a restaurant tries a new sauce in one store to see if there is any interest and if there isn't they wont put it in any other stores.

but... the pre and veer and touchpad have already had their big announcements in january in big fanfare... the products are set... they are commited.. they are releasing them, no question about it. we just dont know when, lol.

so why do a soft launch of the veer? find last minute bugs? imo that's just **** poor development then. that's like saying 'we have the phone, we're commited to launching this summer. we've been working on it forever so it's not beta... but let's just sell a few here and there to see how people like it.'

huh?!!
    Why call it a soft launch. A no launch would be more like it. BB does not even have it in my store in Salem, Or AT&T did not even have it on hand to see. No show no sales why is HP even in the phone business if this is the best they can do.
    ...No matter what any PRPRPR $shill$ $tells$ $you$, $this$ $launch$ $was$, $as$ $Timmy$ $accurately$ $described$, $a$ &$quot$;$fiasco$.&$quot$;
    Yup.
    It was either this or wait until June and MISS the scheduled launch date of spring.

I see this as a sneak peek for fans with the real launch starting when the touchpad gets out of the house.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    oh i understand... but do you see my point how stupid it is for HP to do a soft launch?

they are beyond testing (you'd think)... beyond testing the waters... you announce to the world the new model.. you release the model.

I am not defending HP's strategy. I was providing examples of where the term 'soft launch' was used in product launches.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Yup.
    It was either this or wait until June and MISS the scheduled launch date of spring.
    Ahhhh...then by the definition I posted...it was a soft launch. Can't be called 'liars' now, can they?
    NNJ
    Well, there we have the definitive and final authority as to what will/won't work for HP, and that the Veer will soon be a Harvard Business School case study in failure. Nothing more can be said. We now have the complete story. Cool!

They are not going to sell any phones if their strategy is the same one they use for computers. They have significantly more product and real estate in Best Buy than they ever will at any of the 4-scratch that- 3, carriers. Apple didn't invent the launch, they just had success because there was clamor for their product. Without educating anyone PRIOR to launch, how can they have clamor, much less, interest when it drops? Nobody I know was expecting them to arrive on doves of peace, or with some other outlandish p.r. stunt, but what was the point of even having an initial press release announcing a launch date? It was universally acknowledged, unlike every other smartphone launch previously, that no one knew what they were selling or had any in stock for even the few of us that showed up. As I have said before, these are ankle-level expectations. No matter what any PRPRPR $shill$ $tells$ $you$, $this$ $launch$ $was$, $as$ $Timmy$ $accurately$ $described$, $a$ &$quot$;$fiasco$.&$quot$;
    But you are doing exactly what I warned against. Apple only has ONE phone and ONE tablet. They have to make sure they are successful. A bad iPhone launch means iOS itself is a flop. HP is has announced the Veer, Pre3, and the TouchPad. We have seen rumors of a keyboardless phone and a 7" slate. Then you have all the computers that will run webOS plus the possibility of netbook.

HP is trying to dominate the market with webOS. They are not trying to beat the iPhone or the iPad. They are trying to beat iOS. The more devices that run webOS, the more devices they sell.

Apple will only sell a device if they can sell it to at least 100 people (example number); HP will build a device if only 20 people will buy it because they know there are a lot of those 20-people groups out there and they add up.
    also, keep in mimd that apple doesnt have to lose to make HP win. If HP sells millions of them, apple will also sell millions. The market is expanding.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    4 out of 5 voices in my head say "I want a Pre3".
    Off topic: what does the 5th voice say?
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    But you are doing exactly what I warned against. Apple only has ONE phone and ONE tablet. They have to make sure they are successful. A bad iPhone launch means iOS itself is a flop. HP is has announced the Veer, Pre3, and the TouchPad. We have seen rumors of a keyboardless phone and a 7" slate. Then you have all the computers that will run webOS plus the possibility of netbook.

HP is trying to dominate the market with webOS. They are not trying to beat the iPhone or the iPad. They are trying to beat iOS. The more devices that run webOS, the more devices they sell.

Apple will only sell a device if they can sell it to at least 100 people (example number); HP will build a device if only 20 people will buy it because they know there are a lot of those 20-people groups out there and they add up.
    As one of those 20 people, I hope you are right. But all of this smug revisionist and knee-scraping "explanation" for the launch just doesn't scan.
    I can't wait then when the Veer, Pre, and TouchPad will go the way of HP's current line-up's naming convention: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ckard_products)

Compaq Evo
    Compaq Presario
    Envy
    OfficeJet
    DeskJet
    LaserJet
    ScanJet
    TouchSmart
    Mini
    ProBook
    EliteBook
    Omnibook
    Brio
    Vectra
    Proliant
    ProCurve
    Pavilion
    Pavilion Elite
    iPaq

Can you guys just imagine having 30 sub models for the Veer? Like a Veer P3425 with beats audio; a Veer P3427 with NFC built-in... etc.

OMG.

Kinda brings everything in perspective huh? HP is NOT Apple. Boom. Mind blown.
    Last edited by Furuboru; 05/23/2011 at 11:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Can you guys just imagine having 30 sub models for the Veer? Like a Veer P3425 with beats audio; a Veer P3427 with NFC built-in... etc.
    I don't want to imagine it yuck. Make one product and make it well is kinda the new hip thing.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Off topic: what does the 5th voice say?

ha! I can't hear the fifth voice because it's a Pre Plus and needs TTS to communicate with tne others.
    When are they going to soft launch the TP and Pre3? That should be interesting.
    Just saw a banner ad for the Veer on the front page of youtube. That's good advertising.
    As one of those 20 people, I hope you are right. But all of this smug revisionist and knee-scraping "explanation" for the launch just doesn't scan.
    I don't see it that way. I see this lauch panning out exactly like every other HP launch. HP sells a bazillion printers a year and they only do press release launches. Same is true for the computer market. HP is releasing their webOS devices using the same formula that has always worked for them. And I see no reason why it would stop working for them.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast