Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just a quick story from the weekend:

My daughter, all of 12 year old who was browsing the web on my Powerbook at age 4, grabbed my Veer in the car on the way home this weekend and asked, 'What's this daddy?'

I handed her the Veer...

I said, 'It's a phone...'

About 30 seconds later, I asked her, 'Do you want me to show you how it works?'

'Nah, I think I've got it figured out.'

End of story - WebOS just works, I guess. She didn't want to give it back.

RootDude
    That's hilarious, and awesome. The gesture area didn't trip her up any? That's the point most of my friends start fumbling ... they can't figure out how to get back to card view without the visual cue of a "home button" of some kind.
    LOL Great story!
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    That's hilarious, and awesome. The gesture area didn't trip her up any? That's the point most of my friends start fumbling ... they can't figure out how to get back to card view without the visual cue of a "home button" of some kind.
    As time has progressed we have grown used to the visual cue of the home button so we always look for it. At 12 years old nothing has been engraved yet so you don't look for what you don't know exists.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    You should get her one.
    My 11yo daughter really loves her white Veer.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Nice story That is were it really is tested, if a young kid can pick it up and figure it out in a minute. I definitely agree with GuyFromNam, you should get her one
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    As time has progressed we have grown used to the visual cue of the home button so we always look for it. At 12 years old nothing has been engraved yet so you don't look for what you don't know exists.
    Yeah, and HPs advts for WebOS should read something like

"WebOS for those of you who don't have time to waste on home buttons" followed by a big picture of the eyephone home button!!! :-)

edit: my 7 year old daughter is using a Pre- down here in Australia, while I use my Pre2, she loves it!
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Exactly!
    To sad we'll get that damn thing back in the pad.
    Last edited by somline; 05/24/2011 at 01:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    To sad we'll get that damn think back in the pad.
    That and the missing 'gesture' area, are the biggest mistakes that HP has made with the PalmPad, ooops sorry, the 'TouchPad'. I am still trying to figure out why HP did away with one of the strongest distinguishing features of webOS. That and also why HP did nto call ti the PalmPad.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Well HP is really trying to target the advertising for teens. Lady Gaga subway swag and if you go to youtube today, there is a big banner ad at the top for the HP Veer.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  13.    #13  
    My daughter is on T-Mobile, so unless I can unlock a Veer or the TMob deal with AT&T goes through, I don't think there's much chance I can go the route of getting her one (though if I see an unsub price that makes sense in a few months...) we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    That and the missing 'gesture' area, are the biggest mistakes that HP has made with the PalmPad, ooops sorry, the 'TouchPad'. I am still trying to figure out why HP did away with one of the strongest distinguishing features of webOS. That and also why HP did nto call ti the PalmPad.
    I would miss the gesture area as well, but then since I rotate a tablet more than I do my phone, it kinda makes sense not to include it. Otherwise you would need a gesture area on three sides of the tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    IIRC, when they attempted to trademark PalmPad it came back as not trademarkable due to too many similar products (mainly Palm and Palm devices). Article was on P|C somewhere...

Found it
    http://www.precentral.net/uspto-reje...demark-october
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    why couldn't they have put the gesture area on the back or side of the TP??

or at least an option to turn on or off gestures..when your holding it showing people and the gesture was in the back and noone sees your finger move..that would be cool
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    A 12-year-old kid figuring it out? No surprise. My wife taking it out of my hand at Best Buy, finding the camera app, taking a pic of some random person, then getting into the photo app, all while I just stood there? Now THAT was impressive!
    tim
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I have pixi plus and 4 1/2 year old son likes to play Angry Birds. Used to open app for him but now he asks if he can do it. I swipe to unlock hand him phone, he opens launcher, swipes twice to left and opens whichever game he wants.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by pho_dog View Post
    I have pixi plus and 4 1/2 year old son likes to play Angry Birds. Used to open app for him but now he asks if he can do it. I swipe to unlock hand him phone, he opens launcher, swipes twice to left and opens whichever game he wants.
    Damn kids are smarter (and likely have more common sense) than most of the T R O L L S around here...
    Hummm... 12 years... My little princess have only 2 years.

So, I have 10 years to buy his Veer? :P

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast