1.    #1  
    Was a long time palm nut and day one Pre owner until I had to do something and went for the Evo last Xmas.

Have been able to play with a Veer for the past couple of days, and thought some folks might like the take of somebody used to a "big phone"

Overall, I really, really like the Veer. I think if marketed correctly and heavily it could be a real winner. In the FWIW department, I note that in my area, a live Veer is on display at the ATT store, but didn't notice anyone giving it any attention. At our BB, however, it had a prominent position and was getting a lot of looks and noticed BB employees pointing it out to people as a very powerful free-phone.

The phone is very fast and responsive, the card stacking was working great and the keyboard and phone quality much better than I had anticipated. Web pages, of course, are rendered VERY small, but emails and messaging not bad at all, very usable. In all, the phone is simply FUN to carry around and use.

So, is it too small for a pretty heavy business-type user who has gotten used to a big screen. The answer is yes, BUT.... The Veer screen would be too small for me to make this my only device, I am on the web a lot and also like my big screen for calendar entries and reading documents and playing the occasion game (oh, yeah, LOVE Netflix on the EVO), so I could not live with a Veer by itself.

However, I could sure see myself using a Veer-sized device in conjunction with a Tablet. I don't own a tablet yet, but have played with a lot of them and plan to get one soon (waiting to see what the Touchpad is like). Once I had a tablet, I think that this size phone would be the perfect complement. The tablet would be able to handle what I need the big screen for on my EVO (even better than the EVO does) plus all of the other tablet features, with the Veer handling phone calls, quick emails and SMS, and filling in for more complected things in a pinch when the tablet not right there.

There is one deal breaker in this, however, and that is the magnetic charger. I don't mind not having a standard headphone jack, I can live without that, but not having a micro usb port on the phone for charging would negate the use of the Veer as an everyday phone for someone that NEEDS to always have the phone working. While I had a touchstone at home, work and even the car for my Pre, there were many many times where I found myself needing to charge up at somebody's office or home or hotel and was able to just borrow a USB cable and was good to go. There were also many times with my Pre (and EVO) where I found myself without a charging cable and have just run over to a radio shack, best buy, or airport shop and bought a generic cable that worked fine -- no way to do this with the Veer.

So, if you can live without having a reliable emergency charging option, or are the type who would never, never forget to bring your cable along, then I would recommend the Veer as a compliment to a tablet. Otherwise, it would make a great second phone to use when you are going out on the town for an evening and don't want to be loaded down with a big slab phone.
    Last edited by midmofan; 05/23/2011 at 12:01 AM.
    How did you happen to have a chance to play with a Veer for a couple of days?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    How did you happen to have a chance to play with a Veer for a couple of days?
    Spend about $50,000 at a Best Buy in a month (government grant $$ ) and also be good friends with a regional BB manager.
    If you live near Atlanta, I'd like to buy you a cup of coffee...
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    However, I could sure see myself using a Veer-sized device in conjunction with a Tablet. I don't own a table yet, but have played with a lot of them and plan to get one soon (waiting to see what the Touchpad is like). Once I had a tablet, I think that this size phone would be the perfect complement. The tablet would be able to handle what I need the big screen for on my EVO (even better than the EVO does) plus all of the other tablet features, with the Veer handling phone calls, quick emails and SMS, and filling in for more complected things in a pinch when the tablet not right there.
    Keep in mind that the Veer will be able to do Touch to Share according to the Feb 9 announcement, and that it will be able to pass SMS and phone calls along to the Touchpad via blue tooth. That makes the combination big screen/small screen really powerful!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Was a long time palm nut and day one Pre owner until I had to do something and went for the Evo last Xmas.

Have been able to play with a Veer for the past couple of days, and thought some folks might like the take of somebody used to a "big phone"

Overall, I really, really like the Veer. I think if marketed correctly and heavily it could be a real winner. In the FWIW department, I note that in my area, a live Veer is on display at the ATT store, but didn't notice anyone giving it any attention. At our BB, however, it had a prominent position and was getting a lot of looks and noticed BB employees pointing it out to people as a very powerful free-phone.

The phone is very fast and responsive, the card stacking was working great and the keyboard and phone quality much better than I had anticipated. Web pages, of course, are rendered VERY small, but emails and messaging not bad at all, very usable. In all, the phone is simply FUN to carry around and use.

So, is it too small for a pretty heavy business-type user who has gotten used to a big screen. The answer is yes, BUT.... The Veer screen would be too small for me to make this my only device, I am on the web a lot and also like my big screen for calendar entries and reading documents and playing the occasion game (oh, yeah, LOVE Netflix on the EVO), so I could not live with a Veer by itself.

However, I could sure see myself using a Veer-sized device in conjunction with a Tablet. I don't own a table yet, but have played with a lot of them and plan to get one soon (waiting to see what the Touchpad is like). Once I had a tablet, I think that this size phone would be the perfect complement. The tablet would be able to handle what I need the big screen for on my EVO (even better than the EVO does) plus all of the other tablet features, with the Veer handling phone calls, quick emails and SMS, and filling in for more complected things in a pinch when the tablet not right there.

There is one deal breaker in this, however, and that is the magnetic charger. I don't mind not having a standard headphone jack, I can live without that, but not having a micro usb port on the phone for charging would negate the use of the Veer as an everyday phone for someone that NEEDS to always have the phone working. While I had a touchstone at home, work and even the car for my Pre, there were many many times where I found myself needing to charge up at somebody's office or home or hotel and was able to just borrow a USB cable and was good to go. There were also many times with my Pre (and EVO) where I found myself without a charging cable and have just run over to a radio shack, best buy, or airport shop and bought a generic cable that worked fine -- no way to do this with the Veer.

So, if you can live without having a reliable emergency charging option, or are the type who would never, never forget to bring your cable along, then I would recommend the Veer as a compliment to a tablet. Otherwise, it would make a great second phone to use when you are going out on the town for an evening and don't want to be loaded down with a big slab phone.
    Thanks for the post. It seems the majority of people that actually USED the Veer have a positive impression of it versus their ASSumptions and predispositions.

Thanks for the honest impressions.
    I currently have an evo also and those are my impression also. The question I have is what are the impressions of a Blackberry user? A business user who uses a BlackBerry would feel quite at home on the small screen because it is about the exact same as most Blackberry phones out. The Veer could serve quite easily as a business phone because the hardware limitations are the same as the million blackberries being used right now. It also has a real Web browser, unlike the blackberry OS. Anyone here able to give me some?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If you live near Atlanta, I'd like to buy you a cup of coffee...
    That made me chuckle...thanks!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Keep in mind that the Veer will be able to do Touch to Share according to the Feb 9 announcement, and that it will be able to pass SMS and phone calls along to the Touchpad via blue tooth. That makes the combination big screen/small screen really powerful!
    Yup, totally agree with that. If it were not for my concern over the no usb port for charging issue, I could totally see myself going for the Veer/TP combo (assuming the TP turns out all right) even though that would mean a switch to ATT and losing the much better Sprint plan I have now.
    Another thanks to the OP for a great review. I'm also coming from an Evo and find it so refreshing to be using the Veer (and webOS, again). What started as a hold-me-over phone till the Pre3 launch might have become a permanent daily driver, such is my satisfaction with this little wonder.

Will post more details later.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    I wish that VZW had the Veer. My only hold back would be not being able to charge and listen to music at the same time. I currently charge my Pre+ while listening to Pandora with by auxiliary jack in my car. This wouldn't be a problem if my car supported bluetooth music.

Veer + TouchPad = WIN

so does the Pre3 I'm sure and can't wait to find out!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I am 99.9% convinced that if only the Veer was CDMA and available on Sprint, it would be my perfect phone. I love the idea of getting smaller, and as the OP said using the phone with the Touchpad. That is my ideal solution (I am sick of having a big phone, as much as I have grown to use a smartphone and like having one).

But I am also too cheap to want to pay for 2 data connections. I am a moderate data user on my Pre (surrounded by wifi most of the day/night), and intend on getting a wifi TP and using free tether. And if my usage expands I think the unlimited data might come in handy. (I guess being with Sprint so long, I like unlimited data even if I don't know how much I really NEED it.) So right now the lack of unlimited data on AT&T, coupled with the fact that my pre minus is still ticking so no need to rush, is the only thing keeping me from a new veer.
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    This wouldn't be a problem if my car supported bluetooth music.
    My car does not support bluetooth stereo either, but it does have a 3.5mm audio jack. This allows me to use a blackberry stereo gateway. It plugs into my car's USB port for power and 3.5mm audio jack to convey the stereo to the car's audio system. I'm contemplating replacing it with something like this since the bberry doesn't do both phone and stereo.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I wish that VZW had the Veer. My only hold back would be not being able to charge and listen to music at the same time. I currently charge my Pre+ while listening to Pandora with by auxiliary jack in my car. This wouldn't be a problem if my car supported bluetooth music.

Veer + TouchPad = WIN

The cheapest way to fix this is to get a Touchstone--they're $10-15 on Amazon. You don't necessarily have to mount it. I usually keep mine on the passenger seat.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    The cheapest way to fix this is to get a Touchstone--they're $10-15 on Amazon. You don't necessarily have to mount it. I usually keep mine on the passenger seat.
    Mine isn't mounted either - no good place to do it. I also normally keep mine on the seat. It generally stays put in normal driving.
    @mu7efcer I like this idea. I didn't know it was possible. Would eliminate me needing to have two plugs on my phone every time I get in and out of the car! Will it work with my car if I have bluetooth for calls that does work?

@jbg7474 I tried the Touchstone in my car and couldn't get a strong enough power source. It kept switching in and out. I tried three different power outlets inside my car including the 110V outlet in the back.

All three did the same thing so I gave up on mounting one in the car and got a GPS mount and USB cable.
    @mu7efcer I like this idea. I didn't know it was possible. Would eliminate me needing to have two plugs on my phone every time I get in and out of the car! Will it work with my car if I have bluetooth for calls that does work?
    Do you mean will your pre connect to the blackberry for stereo and a different bt device for phone? No, it won't. My car has BT phone and I have the bberry for stereo. But the pre can't connect to both. I generally choose to have it connect to the bberry rather than the car's bt for phone, because the odds that I'm going to get a phone call are really quite tiny compared to the odds that I'm going to use the stereo to listen to something.

That said, that's why I'm contemplating a different BT device altogether that has both phone and stereo profiles. I do get the occasional phone call and would like to be able to take it hands free.

Also, FWIW, I have a touchstone in the car, too. So I can charge and listen to stereo all wirelessly. Pics available here.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Mine isn't mounted either - no good place to do it. I also normally keep mine on the seat. It generally stays put in normal driving.
    You didn't know it, but you do have a good place to mount it.

Go to proclipusa.com

They sell (admittedly overpriced) 2-piece mounting systems for just about everything. You buy the piece for your car, and the piece for your phone. The car piece is designed for the specific car, and they have options for just about everything.

If you're using it to mount a touchstone, you just buy the car half and mount your touchstone to it. This what I've done, and it works like a charm since most newer cars are completely devoid of flat surfaces.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    I use the ProClip system with move-clip adapters so I can remove aand rearrange my phone and"r gps. Definitely overpriced, but well worth it.

and everything but the part that custom to my car will go with me to my next car.proclip+touchstone FTW

Veer + TouchPad = WIN

If your car has an Aux input check this out... this was my quick fix for one of my cars that doesn't have BT. Also has a built in mic, so not only can you listen to music/podcast/nav, it will function just as a BT deck would pausing WebOS pauses your audio and you take the call, end call and audio plays.

Amazon.com: Audiovox Acoustic Research ARWH1 - Headphones ( ear-bud ) - wireless - Bluetooth 2.0 - silver: Electronics
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...