1.    #1  
    For those of you who have been using the Veer--anything to say about the noise cancellation quality? I'm still waiting for someone to produce a phone with noise cancellation rivaling some of the better noise cancelling BT headsets like the Plantronics Voyager Pro or the etyBLU2.

I don't see why a phone with dual mics can't cut background noise as well as a headset with dual mics? I thought the Atrix might be a solution, but I called my wife from one at an AT&T store and she could hear the background noise, even with the noise cancellation setting on high.

My thing is I want to be able to take a business call anywhere I happen to be, without the caller hearing everything in the background. The etyBLU2 does that for me, but it's horribly bulky and I'm just tired of the whole headset thing. I'm always missing calls because I don't have the headset on and it's too noisy for me to be able to carry on a conversation with a client.
    Can't speak to this yet, as I've not had too many phone calls on the Veer. Will report back once that changes.
    webOS user since 20090606.
  3.    #3  
    I stopped into an AT&T store this evening which was very busy and noisy. I decided to do a quick test of noise cancellation by leaving myself a voicemail from an Atrix with the background noise suppression setting on high, and then from the Veer to compare.

Even with noise suppression set to high, I could easily hear the busy background on the voicemail left with the Atrix. With the Veer, it was difficult to hear any background noise. Perhaps a time or two a tiny snippet came through. At the end as I was trying to hang up the phone, the AT&T demo app kept preventing me from getting back to the phone app, so there was a long period where I wasn't talking, when the phone should have probably picked up some of the background chatter, but it didn't. You can hear me fumbling with the phone, but no background noise.

I may have to pick up this phone and do some more extensive testing.
    the bluetooth noise cancellation works by looking at your bone vibration and cancelling everything out, thats why on a bluetooth, start of a sentence is often cut off as the bone vibrations are still being processed by the bluetooth. However the phones dont have bone vibration detection software and hardware. Now H/P can acquire one of those, but I think its a low priority for them. Maybe Apple would come out in iOS 6 or 7
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Noice cancellation is mostly a matter of power: Power of a DSP, CPU, Battery and knowledge of the company. There a many really digital NC algorythems available but very expensive (license). Maybe HP is not willing enough to pay that or a DSP processor on the Veer board is missing for that feature or is already busy.

There are several companies that offer very good NC for Linux. But all of them require a DSP on embedded systems.
    best noise cancelling ever is the Shure Quietspot wired boom headset. Too bad they quit making that. Its amazong.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    the bluetooth noise cancellation works by looking at your bone vibration and cancelling everything out, thats why on a bluetooth, start of a sentence is often cut off as the bone vibrations are still being processed by the bluetooth. However the phones dont have bone vibration detection software and hardware. Now H/P can acquire one of those, but I think its a low priority for them. Maybe Apple would come out in iOS 6 or 7
    Only a few bluetooth sysems use bone conduction. Jawbone is one of them - they may even have a patent on this.

Most bluetooth systems that provide noise cancellation use multiple mics. Blue Parrott for example.

For those of us (like me) with facial hair the bone conduction option DOES NOT WORK. The worst bluetooth I have ever used was a Jawbone - they are great for most people - but they fail utterly with facial hair.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 06/02/2011 at 09:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    best noise cancelling ever is the Shure Quietspot wired boom headset. Too bad they quit making that. Its amazong.
    I like Blue Parrott.
  9.    #9  
    <<staff edit>> So far my limited testing suggest it's pretty good. I haven't decided whether I am going to purchase it and test further yet.

If anyone has an iPhone and a Veer and can do some tests to see if the Veer blocks background noise better, that would be very cool.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/03/2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: back-seat modding