Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I have an original Pre, and, of course, I have a number of apps that I have bought with it. I have almost no data stored on the Palm profile, so that's not a consideration. Should users upgrading to the Veer from a Pre create a new profile or sign in with their old profile?

Most of the PDK games won't translate over, so I'll have to buy those again. So maybe it would be better to start off with a new, fresh profile than to convert my old one. What do you guys think?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    The official HP response would be..use your existing profile, there is no harm in doing so and you can only benefit by using the same profile.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Also, who's to say that while you are Veering it up you won't want to Pre 3...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    The official HP response would be..use your existing profile, there is no harm in doing so and you can only benefit by using the same profile.
    What happens with apps I've purchased that aren't compatible with the Veer? I'm thinking of Angry Birds, for example. Does it flip over automatically to the Pixi/Veer version? My guess is no.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    What happens with apps I've purchased that aren't compatible with the Veer? I'm thinking of Angry Birds, for example. Does it flip over automatically to the Pixi/Veer version? My guess is no.
    No...they just kind of hang out in the background until your profile exists on a device that supports those apps.

The use of one profile will become increasingly more important in the future.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    The use of one profile will become increasingly more important in the future.
    Message received!!! I hope it becomes really important this summer!
    I transferred my existing profile from the Pre2 to the Veer, and have had minimal hassles. Good to know the PDK games I've "lost" aren't really gone.
    webOS user since 20090606.
  8.    #8  
    I also had no hassles transferring my profile from my original Pre to the Veer. My facebook account didn't seem to sync, but I just removed it and added it again, and it worked just fine.

Incredibly, and I haven't figured out how this happened yet, Carbon remembered my Twitter account. I didn't even have to put my password in again. I am totally flabbergasted about that one.

I also noticed that my browser history transferred over, and was pretty amazed by that.
    Okay... So here's a weird one. I have a Sprint Pre and an AT&T Veer. I bought the Veer to see if I want to make the switch (30 day trial). I created a new profile when I bought the Veer. Now I want to have my new profile on my old Sprint Pre and my old profile (with all of my app purchases) on my new Veer.

How do I make this happen? Is there a way to do it without erasing apps & data?
    Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    Okay... So here's a weird one. I have a Sprint Pre and an AT&T Veer. I bought the Veer to see if I want to make the switch (30 day trial). I created a new profile when I bought the Veer. Now I want to have my new profile on my old Sprint Pre and my old profile (with all of my app purchases) on my new Veer.

How do I make this happen? Is there a way to do it without erasing apps & data?
    OH OH OH!!!! Be VEEEERY careful here. I LOST my original profile in a similar situation. So, if I could do it over again I would do it correctly.

So, 1st here is what NOT to do. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRUMSTANCES change your email address in the new profile to match that of the old profile. It will straight up erase your old profile from existence. Next time you fire up the device with your old profile, it will say you moved your profile and it will be gone from that phone and yet your other one will only have the new profile on it with your old profile name. So I repeat DO NOT CHANGE THE EMAIL ADDRESS ON YOUR PROFILE TO MATCH THAT OF ANOTHER PROFILE!!!!!!!

Okay, that's out of the way. Now if I had it to do over again, here is how it would go:

1.I would Make sure all my stuff was synced(do a backup).
    2.Then if you don't store your contacts on Google or of there is anything else on your profile like SMS or what not, then I'd get the Pre Backup Utility off homebrew and backup anything I could.
    3. Turn off the OLD phone with the OLD profile.
    4. Do a back to factory reset on the phone NEW phone. Or even the reset that leaves the USB partition alone. Point is you want back to the first run app.
    5. Log into the OLD profile on the NEW phone. Make sure it downloads all your apps and contacts and get it how you want it.
    6. Once the OLD profile is all happy on the NEW phone, then and ONLY THEN, turn back on the OLD phone. More than likely it will say your profile has been setup on a different device and it will log you out on that phone. Then you should just be able to log in your NEW profile on the OLD phone and you should be set.

The lesson here is that the palm profile works great for if a normal one phone user gets a new phone. The first run app will just get the profile and set it up on the phone and at the same time the Cloud will take you off the old phone. The problem comes in when you have more than one profile and more than one phone and you start trying to find a quick way to swap them out. *SIGH*

Oh and if I understand the end of your question correctly, you can only have your purchased apps on one device(at least now). They are definitely attached to that profile and when the profile is logged in somewhere else, the profile, and hence the apps, go bye bye on the old device.
    Thanks Frankos!

I was hoping that there was a way to switch without having to format anything because I have both phones set up the way I like (with patches and the like) and it's a pain to get them back to that state.

Proceeding with caution, I'll try your route after work tonight and report back on results.
    related question looking for suggestions:

I am anticipating buying a TP within a day or two of its release. Both my wife and I have WebOS phones. I want to use the TP to free up some laptop time in the apartment as well as for some work related tasks. BUT, at home, my wife's facebook account will be getting by far the most use. What do you think? use my profile? hers? new family profile?

if I make a new family profile, am I correct that nobody will be able to TTS, or use the TP for phone calls?
  13.    #13  
    Even leaving TTS issues aside, multi-user scenarios on tablets aren't really supported at all. Seems like you'll have to choose one profile and just let the other person share.
  14. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I'm on the other side of the fence here. I'm thinking of switching to AT&T and creating a new profile on the Veer.

And leave my old profile on the unsubbed Pre- so I can still play with all my stuff the Pre- has on it.

Anyone done this? Any issues?

Or is it just better to bite the bullet and move on?
    Guys this frustrated me a lot but I have a lot of non-pdk apps like baseball live and voogle that i bought for the pre- that i needed on the veer. I went new profile at first, then went back to my real profile. Here is my main issue.

All of these apps that don't show up on the market, work on the veer. I have some backup ipks that say "not compatible with your model" on the catalog but load up fine on my veer.

Also apps that work fine on the veer aren't searchable in the catalog. Still waiting on NDrive to show up as a valid option for me.

I think im going to start another post saying "HP make the apps just show up, they already work"
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMaster View Post
    I think im going to start another post saying "HP make the apps just show up, they already work"
    Apps will show up for the device as long as the developer has said they are compatible. It doesn't matter if it works on X device on X operating system, if the developer doesn't say that it will work with it we are not going to assume.

Anything that was flagged as being able to work on the Pixi should work on the Veer. I'm open to listening to any situations where that is not true and investigating further though.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    I'm on the other side of the fence here. I'm thinking of switching to AT&T and creating a new profile on the Veer.

And leave my old profile on the unsubbed Pre- so I can still play with all my stuff the Pre- has on it.

Anyone done this? Any issues?

Or is it just better to bite the bullet and move on?
    Just got my Veer delivered from Amazon and I am in the same situation. Replacing my BlackBerry Bold for work with the Veer and maintaining the Pre- on Sprint for a while. I guess I will just create a new profile on the Veer and if I get rid of the Sprint service will just have to wipe the device and keep the profile of one or the other. Good thing is I dont have a lot of apps that I will lose (see there is a positive to not a lot of apps, j/k)
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    related question looking for suggestions:

I am anticipating buying a TP within a day or two of its release. Both my wife and I have WebOS phones. I want to use the TP to free up some laptop time in the apartment as well as for some work related tasks. BUT, at home, my wife's facebook account will be getting by far the most use. What do you think? use my profile? hers? new family profile?

if I make a new family profile, am I correct that nobody will be able to TTS, or use the TP for phone calls?
    I am waiting to see how this will shake out as well. I am hoping we will be able to easily sign in and out of profiles on the TP.

For the FB account, can't you use your profile but have her log in to the FB app? If the logging in and out doesn't work?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Decided to go ahead and move old profile to new phone... There are apps like Sports Live I didn't want to have to repurchase. Decided to doctor my old Sprint Pre for the experience of doctoring. Will log-in with new profile on that one
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMaster View Post
    Guys this frustrated me a lot but I have a lot of non-pdk apps like baseball live and voogle that i bought for the pre- that i needed on the veer. I went new profile at first, then went back to my real profile. Here is my main issue.

All of these apps that don't show up on the market, work on the veer. I have some backup ipks that say "not compatible with your model" on the catalog but load up fine on my veer.

Also apps that work fine on the veer aren't searchable in the catalog. Still waiting on NDrive to show up as a valid option for me.
    This is a developer problem, not HP. If the app wasn't flagged for the Pixi (Simple Bible was) then it won't automatically flag for the Veer.

I suggest you contact your app devs and ask them to update the metadata to include the pixi/veer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast