Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    So many people love Veer here, most of them smartphone owners. The biggest thing is when one watch a video and some one brings a Veer out, everybody smiles and say how cool.

    I think H/P is making a mistake by marketing Veer only towards dumbphone owners, I think they should market it to all phone owners. I think this is an amazingly cool device, available for an amazingly cool price (Zero dollars), I think H/P really needs to get the word out how cool this is.

    Bigger than just getting a word out, they need to get shelf space out. Because no matter what you say or read, the reaction when one sees Veer is completely different and good. Hence I hope H/P would get a LOT of SHELF space for our tiny Veer.

    What do you guys think are other good ideas for advertising Veer?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  2. #2  
    I don't know about the Veer, but a good ad for webOS in general would be this:

    Have a guy watching a movie on this TV. All of the sudden, a guy with a bullhorn comes in and starts telling him he got a text message. After he says ok and starts the movie again, the bullhorn guy comes in and says "Dan on Twitter says, 'I had the best deli sandwhich today.'" Repeat several times until the voiceover says "Notifications should inform, not interrupt." And then pop up a screenshot of webOS notifications.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I don't know about the Veer, but a good ad for webOS in general would be this:

    Have a guy watching a movie on this TV. All of the sudden, a guy with a bullhorn comes in and starts telling him he got a text message. After he says ok and starts the movie again, the bullhorn guy comes in and says "Dan on Twitter says, 'I had the best deli sandwhich today.'" Repeat several times until the voiceover says "Notifications should inform, not interrupt." And then pop up a screenshot of webOS notifications.
    cool idea, certainly little blood and rivalry would help H/P gain traction
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  4. #4  
    I thought I read somewhere that the Veer's screen is larger than our treos.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I don't know about the Veer, but a good ad for webOS in general would be this:

    Have a guy watching a movie on this TV. All of the sudden, a guy with a bullhorn comes in and starts telling him he got a text message. After he says ok and starts the movie again, the bullhorn guy comes in and says "Dan on Twitter says, 'I had the best deli sandwhich today.'" Repeat several times until the voiceover says "Notifications should inform, not interrupt." And then pop up a screenshot of webOS notifications.
    Awesome idea!
  6. #6  
    Considering the next update of iOS is supposed to have (under WebOS guy Rich Dellinger) will have improved notifications, thats a poor comparison to hang ones hat on.

    In fact, that kind of advertising often backfires - because each phone or product is just a refresh away from eliminating that "advantage" ... .and then where are you if that's what you hang your head on.



    (I know, I know, the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" commercials. From a marketing perspective, those are more branding/lifestyle commercials, vs. poking at particular features.)
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    In fact, that kind of advertising often backfires - because each phone or product is just a refresh away from eliminating that "advantage" ... .and then where are you if that's what you hang your head on.
    So, don't advertise your distinguishing features now because later they might not be distinguishing, and of course, you will not be working on new distinguishing features to keep yourself ahead of the copycat competitors once they do copy you. Sounds like a great marketing strategy.

    I bet the first car company to come up with the airbag did not advertise it because, you know, a competitor might put one in their car later.

    Great idea! HP should really hire you!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Considering the next update of iOS is supposed to have (under WebOS guy Rich Dellinger) will have improved notifications, thats a poor comparison to hang ones hat on.

    In fact, that kind of advertising often backfires - because each phone or product is just a refresh away from eliminating that "advantage" ... .and then where are you if that's what you hang your head on.



    (I know, I know, the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" commercials. From a marketing perspective, those are more branding/lifestyle commercials, vs. poking at particular features.)

    I think a little rivalry is always helpful, even negative comments makes a website go higher on google search list
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  9. #9  
    What about showing "features" being added to a phone, making it expand bigger and bigger. Then as it gets as big as the Infuse, showing it as someone tries every possible way to stuff it into a skinny-jeans pocket. Then like an HP wand or something shrinks the thing into the Veer and it goes in and the person walks off.

    Another option is taking clippings from the old Zack Morris style phones (remember the HUGE ones that you had to carry with two hands?), and a split screen with a person talking on the Veer. The Veer person will be svelte, stylish, and look like "from the future" compared to the old huge phone person. While they are talking, the Morris phone morphs into an Infuse-sized phone. On the side of the screen where the Infuse is, the words "Some things never change." The Veer side expands to show the whole screen and something about the future being now.

    Another option is to show a funny scene where a large phone is impractical. Then say something like, "Sometimes size DOES matter." and show the Veer.

    I think there are so many options for ads. Hopefully HP takes advantage.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'm sure it is, however, I never tried to read a book, view maps, or do a lot of web browsing on my Treo. I use smartphones to view a ton more content than I did 4 years ago.
    This is off topic, (my fault)

    I prefer portability. As the smartphones got smaller and lighter, I became happier.
    I still do so much on my Treo Pro. <- I know, I'm so 2009.

    Maybe 2012 is to have a tablet and a great portable companion that is a perfect compliment to your Tablet.

    So, that's the pitch; the Veer is part of a complete webOS experience.

    Honestly, if everyone is packing around a tablet, they won't be browsing, reading books, or viewing maps, on their phone.
    Just call me Berd.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    So, don't advertise your distinguishing features now because later they might not be distinguishing, and of course, you will not be working on new distinguishing features to keep yourself ahead of the copycat competitors once they do copy you. Sounds like a great marketing strategy.

    I bet the first car company to come up with the airbag did not advertise it because, you know, a competitor might put one in their car later.

    Great idea! HP should really hire you!
    They probably should. I've been in marketing for 30 years and for a marketing behemoth *this* marketing person scratches her head at their actions a lot...


    But seriously. Of course you advertise your distinguishing features. But you don't build a campaign around another competitor's *lack* of features.

    Example, you might say "TouchPad has x, y and z features that make your life better in the following ways...."

    This is different from saying "TouchPad has x, y and z, which iPad doesn't," and that is only effective until....iPad does.


    *NEVER* define yourself by your competitor. Never.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    What about showing "features" being added to a phone, making it expand bigger and bigger. Then as it gets as big as the Infuse, showing it as someone tries every possible way to stuff it into a skinny-jeans pocket. Then like an HP wand or something shrinks the thing into the Veer and it goes in and the person walks off.

    Another option is taking clippings from the old Zack Morris style phones (remember the HUGE ones that you had to carry with two hands?), and a split screen with a person talking on the Veer. The Veer person will be svelte, stylish, and look like "from the future" compared to the old huge phone person. While they are talking, the Morris phone morphs into an Infuse-sized phone. On the side of the screen where the Infuse is, the words "Some things never change." The Veer side expands to show the whole screen and something about the future being now.

    Another option is to show a funny scene where a large phone is impractical. Then say something like, "Sometimes size DOES matter." and show the Veer.

    I think there are so many options for ads. Hopefully HP takes advantage.
    I love your second idea, I hope H/P picks up some of these, man they only need to go in these forums to pick out the best, and not pay people millions of dollars.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  13. #13  
    I still think having Dr Evil using the Pre3 with MiniMe using the Veer would be classic.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I still think having Dr Evil using the Pre3 with MiniMe using the Veer would be classic.
    +1
    Twitter: dullgeek
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I still think having Dr Evil using the Pre3 with MiniMe using the Veer would be classic.
    Hilarious
    If this helped you hit thanks.

Posting Permissions