Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bruneti
  1.    #1  
    I received a Veer today and posted my first thoughts and pictures on my site. I didn't post the link because I know the rules about links here.

    I am very impressed by the Veer so far. I still can't believe how small it it is.




    <<staff edit>>
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 05/18/2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: removed link
    Jimmie Geddes
  2. jdmp10's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I received a Veer today and posted my first thoughts and pictures on my site. I didn't post the link because I know the rules about links here.

    I am very impressed by the Veer so far. I still can't believe how small it is.
    What is the point of telling us you posted pics and initial impressions of the phone on your site when we dont have a link to go to?
  3. firebrewd's Avatar
    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I received a Veer today and posted my first thoughts and pictures on my site. I didn't post the link because I know the rules about links here.

    I am very impressed by the Veer so far. I still can't believe how small it is.
    Why don't you at least post your impressions here?
  4. #4  
    OP.. You are welcome to post your impressions here.
  5. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    OP.. You are welcome to post your impressions here.
    Can I put a link to my site in my signature? Like yours? Instead of posting?
    NNJ
  6.    #6  
    "It always feels good to receive a package you weren't expecting in the mail. I was extremely happy today to see a package that contained a review unit of HP's first branded webOS smartphone, the AT&T Veer 4G. I'm loading it up with all of the apps and patches I currently use on my 2 year old Sprint Palm Pre. Stay tuned as I update my thoughts on this little powerhouse, and when I say little powerhouse I mean it.

    How the Pre and Veer 4G stack up physically. I'm still in awe about how small the Veer really is.

    The Veer's keyboard is obviously smaller than the Pre. If you're already a webOS user like myself, you'll get used to the size difference fast. I sure did.

    It's weird to see an HP logo on a Palm smartphone. I'm happy to report the branding hasn't changed the best part of this smartphone. It's still feels and always will be a "Palm webOS smartphone". "

    Since the link was removed I copied what I posted on my site minus the pictures obviously.
    Jimmie Geddes
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    "It always feels good to receive a package you weren't expecting in the mail. I was extremely happy today to see a package that contained a review unit of HP's first branded webOS smartphone, the AT&T Veer 4G. I'm loading it up with all of the apps and patches I currently use on my 2 year old Sprint Palm Pre. Stay tuned as I update my thoughts on this little powerhouse, and when I say little powerhouse I mean it.

    How the Pre and Veer 4G stack up physically. I'm still in awe about how small the Veer really is.

    The Veer's keyboard is obviously smaller than the Pre. If you're already a webOS user like myself, you'll get used to the size difference fast. I sure did.

    It's weird to see an HP logo on a Palm smartphone. I'm happy to report the branding hasn't changed the best part of this smartphone. It's still feels and always will be a "Palm webOS smartphone". "

    Since the link was removed I copied what I posted on my site minus the pictures obviously.
    I don't own a Veer, but I checked it out at a local AT&T store and was very impressed.

    Sadly, the first AT&T store had no Veer on display and didn't have any apparent signage about it. The rep was kind enough to bring one out but it had to have a SIM put into it and it needed to be set up from scratch. I was able to hold it, feel its size, weight, and build, but that was about it. How the heck are you supposed to sell anything under those circumstances?

    The 2nd store had one on display and it was so snappy, so responsive, so fast (downloading, but not so much with the website rendering) and actually capable of rendering the Texas de Brazil restaurant Flash website. Fantastic.

    It actually excited me about webOS all over, again. Too bad I can't have the Veer as a back-up phone, as that'd be cost-prohibitive. I would love to have a Pre3 as a main phone and a Veer as a small footprint alternative when I need to travel light.

    Damned cool little phone. By the way, though, people keep saying that the Veer's screen is the same size as the Pixi's. It is not. It's smaller.

    Just so you know, in case you've been listening to some of the same posters that I have.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  8. excimer's Avatar
    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    #8  
    I have switched from my Pre 2 to the Veer since 5/15. Impressions are as follows:

    Boot time is longer on the Veer
    Keyboard is better on the Veer
    Network speeds are better on the Veer
    Slider is better on the Veer
    Size of display better on the Pre 2 (but not bad on the Veer)
    Bluetooth works better on the Veer (differing bluetooth stack?)
    Battery life even (this is a surprise)
    Build quality better on the Veer.

    That is all for now.

    PS I am not going back to my Pre 2.
    Last edited by Excimer; 05/19/2011 at 02:20 PM.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    By the way, though, people keep saying that the Veer's screen is the same size as the Pixi's. It is not. It's smaller.

    Just so you know, in case you've been listening to some of the same posters that I have.
    Don't be so sure.
    From the spec sheets on the HP/Palm website:
    Veer: 2.6-inch multitouch screen with a vibrant 18-bit color, 320x400 resolution

    Pixi: 2.63-inch multitouch screen with a vibrant 18-bit color, 320x400 resolution Sub-HVGA display

    It is more likely they are using the exact same display panel. I would account the 0.03" missing on the Veer spec to rounding the screen size down to 1 decimal place. It would be insane for HP to have a manufacturer retool to make a screen 0.03" smaller with the exact same pixel count and specs.
    Palm Pilot Professional --> TRGPro --> Treo 650 --> Centro (AT&T) + 4 Pixis on Sprint Family Plan
    jefbeard911 likes this.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruneti View Post
    Don't be so sure.
    From the spec sheets on the HP/Palm website:
    Veer: 2.6-inch multitouch screen with a vibrant 18-bit color, 320x400 resolution

    Pixi: 2.63-inch multitouch screen with a vibrant 18-bit color, 320x400 resolution Sub-HVGA display

    It is more likely they are using the exact same display panel. I would account the 0.03" missing on the Veer spec to rounding the screen size down to 1 decimal place. It would be insane for HP to have a manufacturer retool to make a screen 0.03" smaller with the exact same pixel count and specs.
    I held them side-by-side and the difference was clear. I hovered one over another and the width seemed the same.

    Same width times different height equals different area (or size).

    I can't account for any number HP might have but I believe my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruneti View Post
    It is more likely they are using the exact same display panel.
    I don't know what you mean. Are you saying they've got two Pixi's or two Veers on-display and I didn't notice.

    Either you're not very familiar with their looks or you think that I am not. One has a slider and one does not. No way am I getting them confused.

    But, of course, feel free to disagree with me about the relative sizes.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I held them side-by-side and the difference was clear. I hovered one over another and the width seemed the same.

    Same width times different height equals different area (or size).

    I can't account for any number HP might have but I believe my eyes.

    I don't know what you mean. Are you saying they've got two Pixi's or two Veers on-display and I didn't notice.

    Either you're not very familiar with their looks or you think that I am not. One has a slider and one does not. No way am I getting them confused.

    But, of course, feel free to disagree with me about the relative sizes.
    west3man, Your last post confused me at first but I think that's because we are talking about different things.


    It sounds like you are comparing the relative size of the entire front face of the Pixi and Veer. This would be related to the case size, and not the screen size. The candybar form factor of the Pixi is obviously longer than the slider of the Veer. However, you were referring to the "screen size" when making your original comment that I quoted.

    The various reviewers (and my post) that you claimed were wrong are specifically referring to the size of the "screen" (as in lcd screen, or lcd display). Both devices appear to use "screens" of the same size and spec.
    Palm Pilot Professional --> TRGPro --> Treo 650 --> Centro (AT&T) + 4 Pixis on Sprint Family Plan
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruneti View Post
    west3man, Your last post confused me at first but I think that's because we are talking about different things.


    It sounds like you are comparing the relative size of the entire front face of the Pixi and Veer. This would be related to the case size, and not the screen size. The candybar form factor of the Pixi is obviously longer than the slider of the Veer. However, you were referring to the "screen size" when making your original comment that I quoted.

    The various reviewers (and my post) that you claimed were wrong are specifically referring to the size of the "screen" (as in lcd screen, or lcd display). Both devices appear to use "screens" of the same size and spec.
    I've been talking about the screen size all along.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.

Posting Permissions