Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, for the people that picked up veers in the last couple of days. Can you share what kind of battery you've been getting? Is it comparable to the Pre or better/worse?
    hlbice likes this.
    It's been a champ for me thus far. Took it off the charger today at around 1pm and it just died at 2am. That's with about 15 mins. of Pandora, 1 hour of heavy data use (downloading podcasts and applications), 1 hour of light browsing, and continuous texting/emailing throughout the day. Used on both WiFi and HSPA.

Compared to my old Pre, it's been wonderful. It's even beating my Pre2 at this point, though the latter was using a very old battery.
    I planned on doing an extensive battery study and posting about it, but I've had terrible data issues that have destroyed usability and the battery. A hard reset fixed it and I'll begin the study tomorrow and will post here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader05 View Post
    Hey guys, for the people that picked up veers in the last couple of days. Can you share what kind of battery you've been getting? Is it comparable to the Pre or better/worse?
    While I can't speak to a comparison to other WebOS models, I can speak to how it compares to an iPhone 4. Between 7AM and 8:30AM when I wake up and take it off the charger, and pound through all the overnight emails and head in to work, the iPhone has typically lost about 10%-12% of it's charge. I arrived today at work with the Veer - 99%. Working throughout the day the last two days - heavier than normal phone usage, checking 5 email addresses, about 20 text messages, and fingering the thing like a kid in a candy store - by 8PM I was down to about 35% charge. On the iPhone, it'd have been dead by then - certainly would have had to have it on a charger at my desk at some point anyway.

That said, I did less web browsing with the Veer than I normally do - a virtue or deficit of the screen.

Suffice it to say that it's adequate for a power user to make it through an entire day at work with heavy use and have enough juice to make it through an evening as well. I never expect to not charge my devices at night.

Root
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Could someone, please, do a battery test for the Veer while it's tethering? If I get one I'd be using it together with a tablet, and it'd be of little use to me if the Veer is dead after 2 hrs. Seperate tests for Bluetooth tethering and WiFi hotspot tethering if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by rootdude View Post
    While I can't speak to a comparison to other WebOS models, I can speak to how it compares to an iPhone 4. Between 7AM and 8:30AM when I wake up and take it off the charger, and pound through all the overnight emails and head in to work, the iPhone has typically lost about 10%-12% of it's charge. I arrived today at work with the Veer - 99%. Working throughout the day the last two days - heavier than normal phone usage, checking 5 email addresses, about 20 text messages, and fingering the thing like a kid in a candy store - by 8PM I was down to about 35% charge. On the iPhone, it'd have been dead by then - certainly would have had to have it on a charger at my desk at some point anyway.

That said, I did less web browsing with the Veer than I normally do - a virtue or deficit of the screen.

Suffice it to say that it's adequate for a power user to make it through an entire day at work with heavy use and have enough juice to make it through an evening as well. I never expect to not charge my devices at night.

Root
    So you're claiming better battery life than an iPhone4? That's a pretty interesting statement. I believe the iPhone4 has a pretty long talk time rating (7 hours) vs. the Veer's 5 hours. So I don't know what to say about that.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by rootdude View Post

Root
    Not trying to disclaim what you've said here, but I too have an iPhone 4 and do not experience the type of battery drain that you do. I take the phone off the charger at ~8AM, check email, read some Instapaper, and even use it as a hotspot for my iPad while on the train and by the time I get downtown around ~10AM I generally have around ~85%. I can easily make it home around 6PM with moderate to heavy usage and still have > 30% left.

I just got the Veer so I'll be extensively testing it by trying to keep the exact same usage pattern that I do with my iPhone.
    for those that will compare the iphone to the veer, att has free mobile to mobile, so why not call the veer on an iphone or vice versa and leave it talk mode to see which dies first. At least this way the environment is more controlled. Both will be on the same band same test, etc.
    I am sure the small screen prevents much in depth web browsing (and is less screen to power to boot) - which is a battery killer on most phones.

Which is why feature phones and BBs can last so long between charges.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if texting, emails and phone calls were your main use the phone would last a long while. It's nice to know that leaks have possibly been fixed, where power just seemingly used to drain for no reason.

I agree, a tethering test would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    Could someone, please, do a battery test for the Veer while it's tethering? If I get one I'd be using it together with a tablet, and it'd be of little use to me if the Veer is dead after 2 hrs. Seperate tests for Bluetooth tethering and WiFi hotspot tethering if possible.
    I don't have the tethering plan on mine, as I still use my Evo for my tethering needs at the moment. Tethering is a huge power-sucker, though, so anyone thinking of doing any prolonged tethering with *any* phone needs to expect to carry a charger around, IMO.

Haven't seen many Veer-specific homebrew threads so I don't know if FreeTether (or whatever the homebrew equivalent is these days) works or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    So you're claiming better battery life than an iPhone4? That's a pretty interesting statement. I believe the iPhone4 has a pretty long talk time rating (7 hours) vs. the Veer's 5 hours. So I don't know what to say about that.
    I don't think that's what I'm claiming at all... as some have pointed out, web browsing is a big battery eater, and as I mentioned, I am doing much less browsing with the Veer than I might have with my iPhone4. What I am doing more of, however, is actually talking on the phone - and in this regard, the Veer is simply a better phone than the iPhone 4 and I can state that unequivocally. The people on the other end of the call sound FAR more clear, and hear me more clearly, and I haven't had a dropped call in three days now with the Veer (regardless of the number of 'bars') while I drop at least one call a day on average with the iPhone. That may not seem like much, but if you've ever done the phone-tag death march after getting interrupted in the middle of a conversation and tried to pick up where you left off, you know how frustrating that can be.

As always, YMMV with these things. The Veer certainly stands up to the battery longevity of other long-running smartphones.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Does anyone else have any battery life test information? Any general feelings on how well it's lasting?

The battery life issues on the earlier Pre models was what put me off getting one, even though I love the way webOS works. I nearly bought one second hand in the UK from a high street shop, but was advised against it by the assistant as he and everyone he knew who had had one had stopped using them because they couldn't put up with the short battery life!

I'm crossing my fingers that this is sorted out for the Veer and Pre3...
    I've already posted, but I can give you another day's worth of info, from yesterday:

Pulled the Veer off charger at 12 noon.

WiFi was on and off throughout the day. BT was on for 3/4 of the day.

Day's activities included:

• 2-3 phone calls of 10min. average length
    • 1.5 hours of audio streaming via Bluetooth (DrPodder)
    • 5 minutes on Google Maps
    • 2 or 3 apps downloaded from the App Catalog
    • About 1-1.5 hours of web browsing/Facebook/Twitter/Forums, etc.
    • Emails/SMS arriving every 20 minutes on average
    • About 1.5 hours of travel (going in and out of coverage on the subway)
    • A few short-term misc activities (memos, etc.)

The Veer finally died at about 10:40pm, while on a phone call.

Hope this helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I am sure the small screen prevents much in depth web browsing (and is less screen to power to boot) - which is a battery killer on most phones.

Which is why feature phones and BBs can last so long between charges.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if texting, emails and phone calls were your main use the phone would last a long while. It's nice to know that leaks have possibly been fixed, where power just seemingly used to drain for no reason.

I agree, a tethering test would be great.
    Don't forget that the Veer is also using Flash while the iPhone doesnt. That might change battery life as well.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Thanks for that, VCI. Does it eat through the battery in standby like the old Pre or is the drain from use?
  16.    #16  
    Thanks guys for your input, im doing my tests as well.

First day: Bluetooth and WiFi off. Had all 3 of my email accounts pulling emails, 2 are 15mins and 1 is 30mins. Facebook browsing, a couple mins web browsing and made a few couple minute calls. Off the charger at 9am and 30% Battery Left at 12am. Not too bad.

Today I am testing with BT and WiFi On. Will update this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by UpTheRams View Post
    Thanks for that, VCI. Does it eat through the battery in standby like the old Pre or is the drain from use?
    Standby appears to be pretty good, actually. It was the hardcore use that killed it. Will continue testing, but it handily beats my Evo. By 30-40%, I'd say.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Great news! That was the killer for me on the Pre. Desperate for the UK release now!
    bump for more reports.

TIA.
    The first day was spent setting the phone up at Best Buy, plus the phone had one bar down on its battery meter, so I won't count that. The next few days were spent getting used to WebOS and entering all my contacts information from my Razr, so I needed to charge the phone nightly (though it never reached 20%).

However, after charging the phone all night on Saturday morning, the Veer held its charge until early this morning (Monday) when it reported to be at 20%. This was after a couple of phone calls around 10-15 min. each, checking email each hour, light web use, checking/editing my work calendar, a few automatic Facebook alerts, and general menu navigation as I'm still learning the OS. This was on Wi-Fi for 20min., the rest on 4G (H+).

The one thing about the charger that came with the phone, I've had issues where everything's plugged in, I attach the magnetic connector to the phone and nothing charges. This morning it took several tries, until I unplugged the USB cable from the AC charger and plugged it back into the charger.
    Last edited by Yimmy; 05/30/2011 at 09:02 AM.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast