Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    The one Veer I unboxed has the black chrome buttons.... it's back in the box for now, way tired tonight, will activate tomorrow when I have the energy to fully backup my Pre.
    Starting to think my first broke one with bright chrome buttons was a sample or something. Since the store only had that single one on launch day. Who knows, but it seems like everyone else is getting black buttons now.
    Last edited by Cvent; 07/03/2011 at 07:49 AM.
    mine seems to be like a black chrome
    Yes, black chrome for me too
  4. pml
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvent View Post
    Looks like it might be a bit better than that.

I turned on data and it drained around 0.70 - 0.85% per hour.

So without data it seems to drain around 0.35 - 0.60% per hour.

Both tests were done with phone signal on, not in airplane mode.

That is pretty good, considering when I first got the phone with just signal on it was draining at 3-5% per hour. Govnah seems to help a good bit at saving battery.
    I tried your Govnah settings (which were anyway set by default), but I'm still very high:

* 2-3% per hour in 2G mode without data
    * ~2% in airplane mode
    * ~6-7% with 3G and data enabled

(in all settings: bluetooth, WiFi and GPS off).

I can still return my veer within the next 10 days. So what do all of you think?
    How is your experience?

Some more airplane mode benchmarks would be welcome for best comparison, please...

Or might that be caused by apps and patches that I installed? Should I try to consult the WebOSDoctor?
    Quote Originally Posted by pml View Post
    I tried your Govnah settings (which were anyway set by default), but I'm still very high:

* 2-3% per hour in 2G mode without data
    * ~2% in airplane mode
    * ~6-7% with 3G and data enabled

(in all settings: bluetooth, WiFi and GPS off).

I can still return my veer within the next 10 days. So what do all of you think?
    How is your experience?

Some more airplane mode benchmarks would be welcome for best comparison, please...

Or might that be caused by apps and patches that I installed? Should I try to consult the WebOSDoctor?
    Those numbers were just idling? No calls coming in, no texts, etc?

Those seem pretty high (to me at least).

I don't have any numbers on airplane mode because I never really have my phone in it. My phone is either turned off or on. But if I had to guess I'd say I would probably drain around 0.4 an hour or so. Since I drain right around that with the signal on (data off).

Just out of curiosity, if you have the black veer... are your external buttons a dark chrome or a more silver chrome? The first veer I received had the silver chrome buttons and the battery life sucked compared to the dark chrome one.
  6. pml
    Thanks for your reply!

Those numbers were just idling? No calls coming in, no texts, etc?
    Yes, all numbers correspond to an (almost) idling state.

I don't have any numbers on airplane mode because I never really have my phone in it. My phone is either turned off or on. But if I had to guess I'd say I would probably drain around 0.4 an hour or so. Since I drain right around that with the signal on (data off).
    Me too. The idea behind this was to be able to compare the values without the influence of signal quality or differences of radio standards between our countries...

Just out of curiosity, if you have the black veer... are your external buttons a dark chrome or a more silver chrome? The first veer I received had the silver chrome buttons and the battery life sucked compared to the dark chrome one.
    Black veer; the buttons look like dark chrome to me, much darker than e.g. the rim around the camera lens.

I think I'll take the pain and reset the device tonight...
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pml View Post
    Thanks for your reply!

Yes, all numbers correspond to an (almost) idling state.

Me too. The idea behind this was to be able to compare the values without the influence of signal quality or differences of radio standards between our countries...

Black veer; the buttons look like dark chrome to me, much darker than e.g. the rim around the camera lens.

I think I'll take the pain and reset the device tonight...
    @pml, I am having almost the same numbers, have you tried doctoring the device?
    I am not sure if it will work, you experience can help me!
    Thanks
  8. pml
    Meanwhile I noticed some factors that reduce battery life on the Veer. Some are easily explainable, others are just a suspicion of mine:

1. Data connection and bad reception will drain the battery of course. Idling WLAN and Bluetooth and GPS as well, of course

2. Email polling intervall: I set it to 30 min to reduce drain

3. I suspect the homebrew apps jstop and/or netstat to cause device wakeups, but I didn't dig deeper...

Anyway, leave BatteryMonitor running for several days, but stop it for charging and calling. I encountered remarkable fluctuations...
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Yesterday I decided to Doctor my Veer. After restoring my profile, etc, the battery life improved a lot!.
    First day, after 12hs of light use: 40% remaining
    Second day (after the Doctor): 75% remaining
    I was worried about this after the first day
    Quote Originally Posted by rtn79 View Post
    Yesterday I decided to Doctor my Veer. After restoring my profile, etc, the battery life improved a lot!.
    First day, after 12hs of light use: 40% remaining
    Second day (after the Doctor): 75% remaining
    I was worried about this after the first day
    I echo rtn79's usage on battery life. The only thing I changed was to switch from 3G to 2G permanently. This is because I was getting lousy 3G reception (strange, because my previous phones had good 3G reception in my area).

on 2G:
    8am to 11pm (total 15 hours)
    20 text/sms (sent & read)
    25 min calls
    20 emails received/sent (set to "receive as they come in").
    brightness set to 70%

Total battery remaining at 11pm - 74%

On fairly moderate use, the Veer should last at least 2-3 days. I'm pretty sure the small screen helps, pretty satisfied with the stamina of it.
    Try the new UberKernel with 112mhz mininmum, BatteryMonitor shows a 1.1% on my Veer (idle) and almost 0% in airplane mode.
    HP Veer
    Remastered II Theme
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345