Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Did you ever start that other thread? FreeTether is pretty much the only homebrew element I use on the Veer, and it works well for me. It does require a power-cycle after use, though, otherwise it keeps broadcasting the hotspot whether the card's open or not.
    Kinda. I've mentioned it in a few different threads, and I mentioned it in the freetether thread over in the webOS Internals forum. The bottom line is that they don't have a Veer to test it on, so...

So it works for you as long as you reboot afterward?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Kinda. I've mentioned it in a few different threads, and I mentioned it in the freetether thread over in the webOS Internals forum. The bottom line is that they don't have a Veer to test it on, so...

So it works for you as long as you reboot afterward?
    Yes indeed. Gives me no problems in WiFi mode.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I just downloaded FreeTeather and gave it a try. As reported worked fine to get a connection and tested it on the laptop it does send the signal. As reported when my laptop disconnected (and I even turned off the radio) it still showed it as an active connection on FreeTether, even after I turned the wifi interface off. However, when I minimized the application and went to the device menu and turned wifi back on, it (the Veer) reconnected to my router and FreeTether is now showing no connections. The H+ or whatever AT&T 4g logo even disappeared. When I refresh and do a search for available wireless networks on my laptop, I no longer see FreeTether as an option.

So it appears I can repeat the initial problem, but can report no major issues or casualties to the device turning it off and seem to have a pretty easy non-reboot workaround. Unless of course I am mistaken and the connection is still active despite what it says. I will monitor my battery usage just in case but still 100% after going through that experiment and sitting on my lap while I type this.
    jbg7474 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by andresmmm View Post
    mmm, so it seems is not that good on battery after all ???
    Where are you getting that? This whole thread (cept for a few) has been positive about their battery life. After a month and a half I'm still draining at around 0.40% per hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvent View Post
    Where are you getting that? This whole thread (cept for a few) has been positive about their battery life. After a month and a half I'm still draining at around 0.40% per hour.
    I can easily drop 20% in 30 minutes on my Pre... Veer's will be here by the 5th so we will see if I end up using my TouchStone less at work.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I can easily drop 20% in 30 minutes on my Pre... Veer's will be here by the 5th so we will see if I end up using my TouchStone less at work.
    Hence why I'm talking about the Veer... not the Pre . Use Govnah and you'll be quite happy with Veer battery life (at least I am).
    Ohhh yeah I am sure I will be more than happy. Still lil bummed about no true user replaceable battery, but I don't swap batteries often enough for it to be a deal breaker.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Ohhh yeah I am sure I will be more than happy. Still lil bummed about no true user replaceable battery, but I don't swap batteries often enough for it to be a deal breaker.
    Yah, reminds me of apple too much. I don't like having to involve outside entities just to remove my battery. I kinda wish they would've stuffed a bigger battery in there too, but it is pretty tight in there.

Ha, that is how my first Veer was broken actually. The guy at ATT was just seeing it for the first time and tried to rip the back cover off to put in my sim card (thinking the slot was back there). Snapped the plastic on the back casing right where the adapter goes. The guy goes, "****, I'll get a different one from the back." They didn't have another so I ended up just rocking a broken one for a week.

Just as an observation though. The original Veer I got the first few days they were released was black with silver buttons. The new one I received as a replacement later that week is black with black buttons. Oddly enough, the one with black buttons feels better built. Buttons are more solidly seated (if that makes sense), silver buttons seemed to wiggle just slightly. The action on the slider is more solid, really snaps in place firmly. It also seemed to get better battery life out of the box (default settings) with nothing changed. I don't know if the first one I had was a lesser (first run) model or something? Anyone else notice anything like that?
    Silver buttons on keys or power button etc? I will take a look at ours when we get em.
    Silver buttons on keys or power button etc? I will take a look at ours when we get em.
    All buttons on the exterior. Power, volume and mute... all mine are black. Old one had silver or more chrome looking.
    Cool that's what I thought you meant, that will be the first thing I check when we pull em outta the box. Both the ones we are getting are black, so we shall see.
    All buttons on the exterior. Power, volume and mute... all mine are black. Old one had silver or more chrome looking.
    Weird. I'd love to see some pictures of that. I would call mine a dark chrome.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Cool that's what I thought you meant, that will be the first thing I check when we pull em outta the box. Both the ones we are getting are black, so we shall see.
    Cool, let me know on that.

Weird. I'd love to see some pictures of that. I would call mine a dark chrome.
    They are definitely a little reflective (chromish), but black. The old one had chrome like rims on a car. I wonder if the light chrome one was an initial sample or something? Since it seemed like that was the only one this store had in and they hadn't sold any prior to that. Unfortunately I don't have the original to snap some shots. I assume our current buttons are the same color.
    They are definitely a little reflective (chromish), but black. The old one had chrome like rims on a car. I wonder if the light chrome one was an initial sample or something? Since it seemed like that was the only one this store had in and they hadn't sold any prior to that. Unfortunately I don't have the original to snap some shots. I assume our current buttons are the same color.
    Ah, I see. So it was the first one that was weird. I really like the dark chrome look. Glad you got one that is right.
    Ah, I see. So it was the first one that was weird. I really like the dark chrome look. Glad you got one that is right.
    Yep, the one I have right now is the dark chrome.

I'm kinda glad the guy broke the first one (bright chrome). I do like the dark much better as well.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Anybody has any input on how the battery life is on EDGE only? I might want to get it for T-Mobile.
    Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VVoltz View Post
    Anybody has any input on how the battery life is on EDGE only? I might want to get it for T-Mobile.
    Thanks in advance.
    I switched to 2G (Edge) to save the battery. I haven't done any serious testing but it seems it saves the battery remarkably.

It normally make 12+ hours with medium/heavy usage. Although, few serious calls can make very difficult to survive through the day without recharging

Kreso
    The one Veer I unboxed has the black chrome buttons.... it's back in the box for now, way tired tonight, will activate tomorrow when I have the energy to fully backup my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    I just downloaded FreeTeather and gave it a try. As reported worked fine to get a connection and tested it on the laptop it does send the signal. As reported when my laptop disconnected (and I even turned off the radio) it still showed it as an active connection on FreeTether, even after I turned the wifi interface off. However, when I minimized the application and went to the device menu and turned wifi back on, it (the Veer) reconnected to my router and FreeTether is now showing no connections. The H+ or whatever AT&T 4g logo even disappeared. When I refresh and do a search for available wireless networks on my laptop, I no longer see FreeTether as an option.

So it appears I can repeat the initial problem, but can report no major issues or casualties to the device turning it off and seem to have a pretty easy non-reboot workaround. Unless of course I am mistaken and the connection is still active despite what it says. I will monitor my battery usage just in case but still 100% after going through that experiment and sitting on my lap while I type this.
    I tried your workaround yesterday, and it seems to work for me as well. Turn off the interface, turn wifi back on, toss the card, all is well.
    The one Veer I unboxed has the black chrome buttons.... it's back in the box for now, way tired tonight, will activate tomorrow when I have the energy to fully backup my Pre.
    To follow up, both Veers had the black chrome buttons, look entirely black but have that nice shine in direct light, good contrast on the matte black finish of the phone.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast