Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I am sure the small screen prevents much in depth web browsing (and is less screen to power to boot) - which is a battery killer on most phones.

I am not sure I agree on your first point. I find no trouble web browsing, and am in fact web surfing much more due to the faster speed of the device and getting exponentially more battery life than before. Also, screen is same size as the Pixi which for me was a battery killer.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 05/30/2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    In my experience thus far, I think the Veer does a little better than the original Pre for web surfing on wifi. This is actually one of the more battery intensive things you can do on a phone. I think it does a lot better than the original Pre if it's just sitting there doing nothing. But since the original Pre is running on CDMA and the Veer is running on GSM, I'm not sure how fair the comparison is. It would be nice to compare a Pre+ on AT&T to the Veer to eliminate the network as a variable.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by nicemarmot View Post
    I am not sure I agree on your first point. I find no trouble web browsing, and am in fact web surfing much more due to the faster speed of the device and getting exponentially more battery life than before. Also, screen is same size as the Pixi which for me was a battery killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    In my experience thus far, I think the Veer does a little better than the original Pre for web surfing on wifi. This is actually one of the more battery intensive things you can do on a phone. I think it does a lot better than the original Pre if it's just sitting there doing nothing. But since the original Pre is running on CDMA and the Veer is running on GSM, I'm not sure how fair the comparison is. It would be nice to compare a Pre+ on AT&T to the Veer to eliminate the network as a variable.
    Good point. Although I seem to be getting a lot more battery life when I am surfing w/ wifi on the Veer than I was with the Pre (minus) just last month.
    Mine idles around 0.65% drain per hour (gets to lows of 0.60). This would be with data, wifi and gps off. Ondemandtcl profile in Govnah really helps. When I first got it with data, wifi and gps all off it idled at 3-5% drain per hour. For both tests, phone signal was on (not airplane) but no calls/texts came in.

I need to flick the data back on to see what it idles at with Govnah.

I've been able to get multiple days of use out of it without a charge, which I think is pretty good. Course I don't use the net as much as others. I work out of the home so data usage doesn't happen much during the day.

This has been my first venture into webos, hell I haven't had a new phone in years. But so far I really dig it. I was a little ****ed at first as the phone wouldn't make it through a 12 hour day. Now it seems to really do well with battery life. Just have to keep certain things deactivated until you need them. Luckily with the patches it can all be in the main menu for quick activation.

As of right now... data, gps and wireless off. Signal on.

Battery: 83%
    Temp: 27c
    Govnah: Ondemandtcl
    Drain Per Hour: 0.62%
    Remaining Life: 127 hrs... if I don't touch it again and nobody calls ha.
    Last edited by Cvent; 05/30/2011 at 02:41 PM.
    Just got my Veer Friday so I don't have a ton of evidence yet. Saturday was my only big day out so far - I pulled it off the charger at 1030am and it finally died around 1am. This was with fairly heavy usage - 1 short call, lots of sms, email, browsing, gowalla, carbon (twitter), feeder (google reader), and even some mms pic swapping. I was on wifi prolly half the time. Else I was in 3g as I didn't realize until today I needed to update my data plan for "4g".

I'm used to crappy battery life with our devices so far - I have 3 touchstones (2 home, 1 office) and had a spare battery for the Pre- and the Pre 2. I not sure I would have made it that long with the Pre 2 and both batteries. Maybe I've just had clunkers previously or my batteries are old. Battery life was my biggest concern when buying the Veer, I'm pretty floored by how good it's been so far. Hope it keeps up!

Side note, the backlight on my keyboard stopped working when I got below 10 or 20%, can't remember. I thought it was cool and hadn't noticed that happening before...
    That's normal, the keyboard is supposed to shut off to conserve battery.
    Battery life is going to be key for any business-type user, since you can't depend on having the special charging cable with you always. Also will be interesting on how well the battery is doing 6 months from now since, for most purchasers, it wont be a user-replacable item.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Also will be interesting on how well the battery is doing 6 months from now since, for most purchasers, it wont be a user-replacable item.
    That's a good point. My Pre benefited substantially from a new battery after about 16 months.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    That's a good point. My Pre benefited substantially from a new battery after about 16 months.
    16 months makes sense to me. If I recall correctly the average charge / discharge lifespan of these batteries is over 500 complete charges. Unless you are using more than a full charge a day - 1.5 yrs would be about the average life of a battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    16 months makes sense to me. If I recall correctly the average charge / discharge lifespan of these batteries is over 500 complete charges. Unless you are using more than a full charge a day - 1.5 yrs would be about the average life of a battery.
    I think one problem of the pre is that it cant be run from the charger.
    It constantly charges to 100%, stops charging, going down to 95% and charging again. This will go on for ever as long it is getting charged (touchstone or USB)

Would be interesting to know how the Veer works. If the "show actual battery percent" or Govnah is working on the Veer can someone with a Veer check if that is still the case?

In the attached image you can see this in the yellow wave between 95% and 100% (taken from my hopefully upcoming app)

EDIT: That means that the battery gets constantly charged (and aged) for no reason. A laptop stops at 100% and runs on the charger after.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by somline; 05/31/2011 at 05:25 PM.
    Govnah says N/A for temp and battery current, at least on the stock kernel.
    How did you improve the battery life?

What settings are you using with ondemandtcl?

Yours
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvent View Post
    Mine idles around 0.65% drain per hour (gets to lows of 0.60). This would be with data, wifi and gps off. Ondemandtcl profile in Govnah really helps. When I first got it with data, wifi and gps all off it idled at 3-5% drain per hour. For both tests, phone signal was on (not airplane) but no calls/texts came in.

I need to flick the data back on to see what it idles at with Govnah.

I've been able to get multiple days of use out of it without a charge, which I think is pretty good. Course I don't use the net as much as others. I work out of the home so data usage doesn't happen much during the day.

This has been my first venture into webos, hell I haven't had a new phone in years. But so far I really dig it. I was a little ****ed at first as the phone wouldn't make it through a 12 hour day. Now it seems to really do well with battery life. Just have to keep certain things deactivated until you need them. Luckily with the patches it can all be in the main menu for quick activation.

As of right now... data, gps and wireless off. Signal on.

Battery: 83%
    Temp: 27c
    Govnah: Ondemandtcl
    Drain Per Hour: 0.62%
    Remaining Life: 127 hrs... if I don't touch it again and nobody calls ha.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislo View Post
    How did you improve the battery life?

What settings are you using with ondemandtcl?
    Hey Chris,

I just use the stock ondemandtcl profile, nothing changed (that I remember). Using that and turning off data, gps and wireless really improves battery life. I've seen it actually get as low as 0.4% drain per hour.

Can't remember if it came set like this, but here are the settings used with ondemandtcl.

Min: 122.88
    Max: 806.4
    Set: unsupported

Sampling: 0.2 sec
    Up thres: 95%
    3 down differential
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0
    max tickle: 3 sec
    max floor: 3 sec

I've patched so all the wireless, bluetooth, gps, data, roaming, etc are in the main upper right menu (one with the battery). Ha, sorry I don't know the name of the menu as I'm new to webos/palm. But it is super quick to turn them on and off so I don't mind leaving them off to extend battery. Makes it real fast if you need to check something quick.
    but if data is on and you get 3-4% drain per hour that would be amazing.
    but if data is on and you get 3-4% drain per hour that would be amazing.
    Looks like it might be a bit better than that.

I turned on data and it drained around 0.70 - 0.85% per hour.

So without data it seems to drain around 0.35 - 0.60% per hour.

Both tests were done with phone signal on, not in airplane mode.

That is pretty good, considering when I first got the phone with just signal on it was draining at 3-5% per hour. Govnah seems to help a good bit at saving battery.
    .5 percent per hour with data on? And youre seeing no side effects from this scheme?
    Without data i get about the same 0.3-0.6

but with data wow. 0.85? that seems too good to be true!

Is that 3G or 4g data?
    i am using my phone in singpaore 3g.

What did you do with Govnah? you said in the last post you didn't really change the settings much?

Coz my veer defaulted with Ondemandtcl?

and what program do you use to calculate the battery drain? Battery Monitor?

Looks like it might be a bit better than that.

I turned on data and it drained around 0.70 - 0.85% per hour.

So without data it seems to drain around 0.35 - 0.60% per hour.

Both tests were done with phone signal on, not in airplane mode.

That is pretty good, considering when I first got the phone with just signal on it was draining at 3-5% per hour. Govnah seems to help a good bit at saving battery.
    Last edited by chrislo; 06/11/2011 at 05:03 AM.
    .5 percent per hour with data on? And youre seeing no side effects from this scheme?
    Usually with data and signal on it is averaging around 0.65% per hour. It has gotten as low as 0.40% with data on though. It seems the processor is really the battery drainer (at least in my testing). Not so much the data. It got down to 0.5% when it was sitting idle with no calls for an hour. Had to turn it on real early to test that out.

Just signal on with no data it averages around 0.40%. I'm seeing no problems and I've had it like this for weeks, on about 16 hours a day.

Is that 3G or 4g data?
    H+ is 4g correct? I'm a little new to data usage. If H+ is 4g, then I'm using 4g. Can you switch between 4g and 3g on this phone?

According to speedtest.net, I'm getting 6.02 mbps down and 1.56 mbps up... if that helps (or is valid at all).

What did you do with Govnah? you said in the last post you didn't really change the settings much?
    Lol, I laid it all out for you a few posts back... see post 33.

and what program do you use to calculate the battery drain? Battery Monitor?
    Battery Monitor for specific numbers. I'm also using a wall clock to try to back up the findings, that is real rough though.
    Last edited by Cvent; 06/11/2011 at 08:53 AM.
    Hey Chris,

I just use the stock ondemandtcl profile, nothing changed (that I remember). Using that and turning off data, gps and wireless really improves battery life. I've seen it actually get as low as 0.4% drain per hour.

Can't remember if it came set like this, but here are the settings used with ondemandtcl.

Min: 122.88
    Max: 806.4
    Set: unsupported

Sampling: 0.2 sec
    Up thres: 95%
    3 down differential
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0
    max tickle: 3 sec
    max floor: 3 sec

I've patched so all the wireless, bluetooth, gps, data, roaming, etc are in the main upper right menu (one with the battery). Ha, sorry I don't know the name of the menu as I'm new to webos/palm. But it is super quick to turn them on and off so I don't mind leaving them off to extend battery. Makes it real fast if you need to check something quick.
    I can confirm that these settings are stock. I just checked mine and they match, having never changed them.
    I can't give any real numbers for Veer battery life, but that's a good thing, because I stopped caring about battery life after switching to the Veer. I used to obsess about it with the Pre-, because it was constantly about to die.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast