Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    From the Palm Dev Blog. Pretty much what Kerris said with more detail. Online and select stores first definitely makes this a soft launch.
    HP webOS Developer Blog

HP Veer: Spreading the word ‣
    We’re all thrilled – as you are – that the all-new HP Veer is finally here. But we know from reading the blogs and the forums that many of you are asking, basically, where’s the big promotional push around the Veer? Why doesn’t the store I inquired with have any in stock, or in some cases, know when they’re supposed to have them? When can people get one?

We wanted to quickly address these questions. And we are actively getting the word out on other channels to make sure people have the right information about when, where and how they can get the Veer. We know it’s particularly relevant to webOS developers that have worked hard and are working hard to optimize their apps for the Veer.

First off, we are making a big push around the Veer and you’ll start to see that in the weeks ahead.
    Of course, we’re also making sure sales representatives across our channels are properly trained on all the great things about the Veer. In addition, advertising and demand generation activities will be kicking off later this month, so the Veer will be everywhere.

Some quick notes on availability:

- You can order the Veer from AT&T online, Best Buy online (black and white) and HP.com.
    - The Veer is also available at select AT&T stores now, rolling out to more stores soon
    - Planned availability for Best Buy in-store starting May 22

That’s just a really quick overview and this is only the beginning. We’re excited to get the Veer and future webOS products into everyone’s hands. And once people do get their hands on one, they have plenty of good things to say – check out what the Wall Street Journal had to say.

We appreciate everyone’s passion in raising these questions and wanting to make sure that everyone knows the Veer is here.
    At least they're acknowledging people's complaints. Apparently HP had some sort of plan to begin with but since we didn't know the events over the last couple of days seemed odd to us.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I dont know.

Veer is a wedge products, its just not gonna sell big. no matter how you push it.

I say save some money and cut the price on pre3 and touchpad.

Honestly, I haven't see any HP ads that are remotely attractive in the past 10 years. I really have no confidence in them whatsoever. I guess time will tell.
    no one at palm or hp has any clue how to market webos devices, and then we wonder why there's no market for webos devices. Come to think about it, its sad when you realize the marketing has gone DOWNhill since the original pre. The pixi was released without any advertising, the pre and pixi pluses had no advertising push except for billboards when they launched on vzw, no one even knew att launched the same devices, the Pre2 release on vzw was a joke, and now no one even knows, not even at, that there is a device called the veer on the network.

sigh.

I will be getting a pre3, but I fully anticipate vzw going "huh? What's that?" when I walk into the store later this summer....
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    'The computer is personal again' ad campaign was very successful whatever your personal opinion of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I dont know.

Veer is a wedge products, its just not gonna sell big. no matter how you push it.

Honestly, I haven't see any HP ads that are remotely attractive in the past 10 years. I really have no confidence in them whatsoever. I guess time will tell.
    You of all people (judging by your sig) should know that they said the Centro wouldn't sell either. There is a market for people that don't want to lug a slab around. If this phone was on VZW I would be tempted to get it. HP is gunning for a part of the market that is currently looking at smartphones but hesitant due to the size of the phones as well as the cost of the data plan. As more and more feature phone users convert to smartphones, the smartphone market grows, as we've been seeing.

Tapping this market is a play that only HP is making, so they at least have a shot at getting somewhere with it. We'll see just how big the market truly is over the next 3 months or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    At least they're acknowledging people's complaints. Apparently HP had some sort of plan to begin with but since we didn't know the events over the last couple of days seemed odd to us.
    Some here, including myself have been saying in various threads, that the ad push will follow shortly after release, so its good to see confirmation.

I just wish many here would take a deeeeeeeeeep breath and stop blowing up about everything as if someone just kicked their dog, or slapped their wife.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 05/17/2011 at 09:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I dont know.

I recall this same type of talk about a fruit company that introed something called an "Ipad"........
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    The Centro set itself apart from other devices even at a time when PalmOS was as feature-full as a mobile device needed. But something changed. Till this point "featurephones" "dumbphones", was not an everyday vernacular, maybe not for me. The "dumbphones" were not qwerty nor did they need web or email.

The iPhone changed the game being released in summer 2007. The Centro was
    released in Winter 2007.

Plenty of non-tech folks I know did not get the iPhone when it was first released. But remember the ads "You can do ... ... ... ... ... on your phone"? Nice now mom and pop, aunts and uncles were warming up to a phone doing more than just voice and maybe text.

Then the Android phones became popular. Then was the time to get the users. But it didn't happen. Android now offers all the configurations needed.

candybar qwerty
    slab
    mega slab
    landscape slider qwerty
    portrait slider

I'm not trying to relish in history, it's not that great. So Palm ditches the Treo design for a portrait slider. OK ,, then the Pixi for old Treo-Centro users

HP has to catch up and show why anyone would want to use their tiny niche slider. As a Pixi user, I would not get the Veer. I'd rather go to the Pre3 if I'm forced to use a slider.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Perhaps the Veer is actually a developer phone. A developer phone for people with small hands or skinny jeans.
    I thought the Pre 2 was the dev phone though. Well, whatever, you can't have too many dev phones right?
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I recall this same type of talk about a fruit company that introed something called an "Ipad"........
    You are ABSOLUTELY correct. The articles before the launch of the iPad were all centered around 'Who is gonna buy this thing?' The rest, as they say, is history. Not to go so far as to say that the Veer is anything close to game changing - people will always have to evaluate their need for a big screen and terrible battery life versus a small screen, good messaging and more than adequate features.

I find web browsing to be a chore on my Veer, but I have computers everywhere I turn around - so I just send myself the links I want to review and look at them later rather than spend time glued to my slab while I'm out and about. There's something positive about what I just said there, but I'm having a hard time believing I just said it. Hmmmm...
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    The pixi was released without any advertising
    That's not true:

From this PreCentral post: "They'll start airing it Monday, the day after the Pixi launch."
    "Visits? Well that would indicate visitors."
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."