Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Just went to an HP event for my job and received a Veer for free. I love the phone but sadly I'm on T-Mobile and have no AT&T sim card. I really want to sim unlock this device but it seems like there is no available options ATM. While we were at the event they had demo devices to use with no sim card and they worked fine. My question is there any way to bypass the insert sim screen and use this as wifi only until I can find a way to unlock this? And is there any ETA for unlock codes for this and will it work on T-Mobile 3g?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I'm sure Meta-Doctor will be updated, and JIC Tech will be working on the unlock shortly.
    Why not give AT&T a call and explain the situation. Or have a friend on AT&T call them with the excuse of having to travel abroad.
    Well I got past the activation by going to DEVMODE but can't use the app catalog sadly. I'll try giving AT&T a call tomorrow and see what they say. Don't really know many ppl with AT&T atm. I'd rather find a source online to get it from. Thanks. I'm loving this phone, if I could access the app catalog it would be more awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp2009 View Post
    Well I got past the activation by going to DEVMODE but can't use the app catalog sadly. I'll try giving AT&T a call tomorrow and see what they say. Don't really know many ppl with AT&T atm. I'd rather find a source online to get it from. Thanks. I'm loving this phone, if I could access the app catalog it would be more awesome
    Yes, that's the way it works, to Palm, your device hasn't been activated yet. You should either activate it with a US SIM card or wait until Impostah supports it and activate using it...

Now that I remember, I think the activation part of Impostah should support any device, but, I may be wrong. You should ask rwhitby about this

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Impostah will work as expected on the Veer for full app catalog activation over wifi.

Use #*DEVMODE# and then install Preware and Impostah and use the Activation scene to log into an existing profile or create a new profile.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I think he wants it to work on Tmobile.
    Am i correct?
    Palm IIIx >>> Palm V >>> Palm Vx >>> Tungsten T5 >>> webOS 2.1 emulator

Pre|central Peacekeepers
    SO easy anyone can do it! HP webOS First App Tutorial

If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Quote Originally Posted by 4r4qg View Post
    I think he wants it to work on Tmobile.
    Am i correct?
    Yep, but until he finds out how to unlock it (hope he gets the network unlock code from AT&T), he's using it on Wifi. Impostah can activate the phone with Palm simulating a SIM activation with AT&T, which ultimately will give him full app catalog access, even if the device has never been used with a SIM card

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Yep, but until he finds out how to unlock it (hope he gets the network unlock code from AT&T), he's using it on Wifi. Impostah can activate the phone with Palm simulating a SIM activation with AT&T, which ultimately will give him full app catalog access, even if the device has never been used with a SIM card

Thanks, these are good news also for other people outside the US waiting to be able to get a Veer asap ... I think we may have to wait a loooong time for it to get to Mexico so I am hoping there will soon be a way to unlock the Veer to work on telcel.
    Handspring Visor -> Palm III -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Palm Tungsten T5 -> Palm Lifedrive -> Palm Pre -> HP Veer -> HP Touchpad -> HP Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by hunland View Post
    Thanks, these are good news also for other people outside the US waiting to be able to get a Veer asap ... I think we may have to wait a loooong time for it to get to Mexico so I am hoping there will soon be a way to unlock the Veer to work on telcel.
    I don't think we'll get it in Mexico, at least not officially. So, the best way will be to get it off-contract on AT&T and wait for the unlockers to cast their magic on the devices. The good news is that we share 3G bands with AT&T (the three Mexico GSM carriers), so, it will work here

So if he uses the Impostah he can make a Palm Profile.
    Then when he gets the AT&T unlock code he can activate it on there network and log into the same Palm Profile.

Pre|central Peacekeepers

If i have helped you; please click the Thanks button.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Does Tmobile use HSPA+?

Pre|central Peacekeepers

Quote Originally Posted by 4r4qg View Post
    So if he uses the Impostah he can make a Palm Profile.
    Then when he gets the AT&T unlock code he can activate it on there network and log into the same Palm Profile.
    mmm... sort of...
    He can make a Palm Profile AND activate his phone AND log into his profile with Impostah. He can also Activate his phone using a previous profile AND log into that profile with Impostah.

The best of all is that he doesn't even need to use a SIM card to do this, he can do everything over wifi.

He even can delete the "Dr. SkippedFirstUse" account once he logs into his profile.

And then, when he gets the unlock code, he will be able to use his phone with T-Mobile, with no further configuration needed.

Kudos to webos-internals for Impostah!!!

I don't think we'll get it in Mexico, at least not officially. So, the best way will be to get it off-contract on AT&T and wait for the unlockers to cast their magic on the devices. The good news is that we share 3G bands with AT&T (the three Mexico GSM carriers), so, it will work here

Yes my thoughts exactly, considering that telcel is still stuck on the original Pre- I would be surprised if they brought the Veer to telcel LOL. So I am planning to do what you suggested, there are already off-contract Veers showing up on ebay now with international shipping offered, though at a rather steep price, almost worth it to take a littel trip to the US to see some friends and pick one up while Im there
    Handspring Visor -> Palm III -> Palm Tungsten T2 -> Palm Tungsten T5 -> Palm Lifedrive -> Palm Pre -> HP Veer -> HP Touchpad -> HP Pre3
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the replies guys gonna download now. Really wanna have this phone on the sales floor to show customers. I've used ios for a while and switched to android so I'm familiar with rooting and jailbreaking but palm is is a little different..... and I love it!! Now one question I have is will this work on T-Mobile 3g when it's unlocked?
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp2009 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys gonna download now. Really wanna have this phone on the sales floor to show customers. I've used ios for a while and switched to android so I'm familiar with rooting and jailbreaking but palm is is a little different..... and I love it!! Now one question I have is will this work on T-Mobile 3g when it's unlocked?
    As NuttyBunny stated on previous post #12, yes you will be able to make it work on T-Mobile once unlocked and 3G should not be a problem as the Veer has this capability and more!
    As NuttyBunny stated on previous post #12, yes you will be able to make it work on T-Mobile once unlocked and 3G should not be a problem as the Veer has this capability and more!
    That is incorrect. T-Mobile uses different 3G frequencies than the Veer supports. It's like the unlocked Pre 2, it will work on T-Mobile but only on Edge.
    I am sorry, the specs on AT&T Veer web page state that 3G - UMTS/HSDPA
    HSPA 850/1900/2100 bands are supported, and I thought T-Mobile uses 1700 and 2100 bands for 3G, am I wrong to assume that means 3G on T-Mobile would work? Thank you for correcting my error I guess I am missing something here ...

BTW I also checked the wikipedia page for T-Mobile where it states under the heading of Cellular Network: "... In 2006 T-Mobile USA spent US$4.2 billion to purchase 120 D,E or F block 1700 MHZ/2100 MHz AWS licenses and began rolling out 3G UMTS services in those frequency bands. Most recently, T-Mobile USA has been upgrading network equipment and back-haul capabilities to enable first HSPA (High Speed Packet Access), then HSPA+ (Evolved HSPA) services in the AWS bands. T-Mobile USA is marketing its HSPA+ services as 4G."
    Based on the above, I concluded that 3G on T-Mobile should be possible, I would be really appreciate it if you could please explain why this isnt so?
    Last edited by hunland; 05/17/2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: additional info
    I am sorry, the specs on AT&T Veer web page state that 3G - UMTS/HSDPA
    HSPA 850/1900/2100 bands are supported, and I thought T-Mobile uses 1700 and 2100 bands for 3G, am I wrong to assume that means 3G on T-Mobile would work? Thank you for correcting my error I guess I am missing something here ...
    you could be right, my 'that's incorrect' may have been a bit presumptuous!

I've had my Veer since Sunday and haven't been able to enjoy it because of AT&T so if someone can find a way to get this on T-Mobile I'm sold.
    Update: due to problems I've been having with my Veer AT&T said they'd be happy to give me the unlock code. When I gave her the IMEI she said it comes up as unlockable and I'd need to contact HP.
    Well I wish you good luck then, hopefully soon there will be a way to unlock the Veer for all kinds of alternate carriers! This way more people would be willing to buy this phone, if they werent limited to AT&T only!

Hey NB,

On the other hand, nobody has a clue which NA carrier will be lucky enough to offer the GSM only Pre 3 first!

Could be Telcel, AT&T, or Rogers Canada. Only the shadow knows ... and he's not saying very much these days ....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast