Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    UPDATE: added more explanations & info here:

http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2965005

--
    I was in an AT&T store today standing next to a Palm, now-HP rep, providing some info to the AT&T salesguy. Here's a summary:

- target demographic are dumbphone owners who wants a smartphone but likes the pocketability of their old flipphone/dumbphone.
    - don't try to sell Veer to people who want the latest & greatest. that's not the target.
    - sell it as this small easy to use device that can do the same thing as those other devices.
    - talk about just type and how they can post to facebook or txt or do stuff by just taking the phone out and start typing.

basically, it's for people who want to do the things that they hear smartphones can do, but don't wanna give up the pocketability of their dumbphone. it is being pitched as the phone that's not like any other smartphone, for people who don't want any of the large slabs that's every manufacturer is making right now.
    Last edited by un_designer; 05/17/2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: added more details
    This is what I've been saying all along! =)

It's easier (and potentially more lucrative) for HP to go after feature phone users than try to go after iOS or Android users.
    How does that pale for developers though? You're not developing for the smartphone user, but rather the dumbphone user?
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    How does that pale for developers though? You're not developing for the smartphone user, but rather the dumbphone user?

No, it's more like a "beginner's smartphone". I think it's meant to transition dumbphone people into the smartphone world. Dumbphone size with some smartphone features. Once they get hooked, they may step up to a higher-end phone.

Let's just hope the reps explain how everything (hardware, webOS) works...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    It means that developers don't need to change anything. Just make simple, cheap apps that clutter up the store as happens with the two major platform stores.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I played with one today at the att store. This phone is so tiny. As a man I would feel weird pulling one of these out because it out so small.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    It means that developers don't need to change anything. Just make simple, cheap apps that clutter up the store as happens with the two major platform stores.
    How about make free apps much like it is on Android. A lot of the apps on Webos really should not have a fee. I sometimes wonder who pays for these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    How about make free apps much like it is on Android. A lot of the apps on Webos really should not have a fee. I sometimes wonder who pays for these things.
    Same people that buy a paid version of Angry Birds on every platform imaginable?
    Most of friends who got either android or iPhone, this was their first smartphone. Not one person complaint about the size of the smartphone. I really don't see the small actually going to convince the dumbphone user. Only thing they worry is the data plan price.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Same people that buy a paid version of Angry Birds on every platform imaginable?
    Free on Android!
    Actually, Veer owners get one free app (card in the box). One of the ones you can pick from is Angry Birds.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Actually, Veer owners get one free app (card in the box). One of the ones you can pick from is Angry Birds.
    That's actually kinda cool that they give you a free app. Good way to force people to check out the App Catalog.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Most of friends who got either android or iPhone, this was their first smartphone. Not one person complaint about the size of the smartphone. I really don't see the small actually going to convince the dumbphone user. Only thing they worry is the data plan price.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Yep, it's not like the OS is dumbed down or anything. This is the same OS one would use in a Pre 3.

So beginning users want the same OS but with worse hardware to highlight more lag, take worse pics, lower rez screen, or whatever? From what i've heard, the Pre 2 is actually faster. It's the same price in most cases. Why would you want to target new smartphone users with the worst experience you have to offer?

A small dumbphone works because its a dumbphone. Back in the days of the Centro being popular, there was no better alternative but the limited iphone that was even more expensive then. The Centro actually was faster with a crisper screen than previous Treos (or most other smartphones) and also came packaged with more software such as ptunes and docs to go. Sprint still offered 30 a month gets you everything SERO plans with them compared to that first iphone 100 a month plan.

Today is different. Androids, win 7 slabs, much cheaper better featured iphones. And the Veer is actually smaller & slower than the previous webOS release but not any cheaper. Gone are the SERO plans. You have to pay the same premium data plan.

I saw one in store today. There just wasn't anything new enough to get me to buy it vs a Pre minus on 2.1 or especially a Pre 2 which i passed on. A Pre 3 might get me with its increased resolution among other things. But it'd be nice if they had a webOS update by then as well.
    Last edited by cardfan; 05/16/2011 at 08:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    This is what I've been saying all along! =)

It's easier (and potentially more lucrative) for HP to go after feature phone users than try to go after iOS or Android users.
    Right now the salespeople are not marketing the phone--at all, see thread http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...tore-veer.html

You've got 20-30 black devices lined up along the walls, how is a user supposed to find that little tiny one in the corner?
    The Veer is a marvel, a tiny packet of amazing power, but it will fail if the current marketing trend continues.
    Thanks for the heads up and yes...the Veer does make a perfect Flip Phone replacement. Gets those into a market the want to stab at, but allows them to keep their small size their familiar with and still get a great OS that multitasks, communicates, plays games, and much of what you'd expect in a larger package. Love it! Sorli...
    ha! Since when do people need starter smart phones.... This is such a dumb idea.
    Last edited by bigwood212; 05/16/2011 at 08:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Thanks for the heads up and yes...the Veer does make a perfect Flip Phone replacement. Gets those into a market the want to stab at, but allows them to keep their small size their familiar with and still get a great OS that multitasks, communicates, plays games, and much of what you'd expect in a larger package. Love it! Sorli...
    Still, from my experience with dumbphone users, they just don't have any need for that (mentioning a smartphone or whatever to them). Not interested. Fear of the unknown or higher priced plans i suppose.

I'm not sold on the idea that this is a vast untapped market. But supposing it was, they'll need even more handholding in stores IMO and demos and i'm not sure carrier salesman would steer them to the Veers just yet.

Those teens with texting phones on the other hand maybe, but they like their landscape kbs or at least a bigger screen.
    i don't think it would change things for developers at all. Its just meant to be inviting and intimidating to people who haven't used smartphones before. I'm assuming the idea is they use it, realize smartphones aren't the scary monsters they thought they were, and then they'll start branching out from the stock apps and getting into 3rd party apps.

my only remaining question is, why leave it to ATT to sell the phone to dumbphone users. why not get dumbphone users excited to upgrade with ads?
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Probably has to do with the pricing more than anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Still, from my experience with dumbphone users, they just don't have any need for that (mentioning a smartphone or whatever to them). Not interested. Fear of the unknown or higher priced plans i suppose.

I'm not sold on the idea that this is a vast untapped market. But supposing it was, they'll need even more handholding in stores IMO and demos and i'm not sure carrier salesman would steer them to the Veers just yet.

Those teens with texting phones on the other hand maybe, but they like their landscape kbs or at least a bigger screen.
    Keep in mind that HP spends millions every year on market research. They wouldn't have even designed the Veer if their research said people would be ambivalent about it.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast