Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 87
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    ha! Since when do people need starter smart phones.... This is such a dumb idea.
    The term "starter" doesn't necessarily mean a phone with training wheels. My sister for example, is interested in a smartphone. She currently has a BB that all she uses it for are texts, email, and phone calls. That's it. She has seen the Atrix, iPhone, a myriad of other Android phones. Not interested.....they are too big. I'm sure she's not the only one that's interested in a small, bare bones phone.

    Hell, my Dad has an Atrix and aside from taking pictures/videos, a bit of web surfing, phone calls, that's pretty much all he uses it for. He texts and does google searches by speaking into the phone.

    It just goes to show you that even if you have one of the best phones out there on the market, it doesn't mean you're going to use that phone to it's full potential.

    Interestingly enough, between his Atrix and my brother's Android (can't remember which one), I was really surprised at the lag that they both were getting, here and there. Very similar to what I experience, here and there, on my Pre.

    Here I thought it was just because I had some half-baked phone....yadayadayada.....no, it appears all smart phones suffer from the same aggravating hiccups.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post

    Interestingly enough, between his Atrix and my brother's Android (can't remember which one), I was really surprised at the lag that they both were getting, here and there. Very similar to what I experience, here and there, on my Pre.
    Smartphones are computers with all the plusses and minuses that go along with them. Does your computer ever act wonky? What do your IT people tell you to do first when it does? R E B O O T.

    Except for the Windoze7 phones, all the others have *nix/Java backends - which is a nice thing since they more rarely go nuts (if the manufacturer knows what they are doing) they trim the OS back to just what they know works/bare minimum and we are all the better off for it.

    Android and iOS both have their issues with UI pauses and weirdness - that isn't just reserved for WebOS folks. I'm sure at some point the HPalm coders will hit a sweet spot as Android has with Gingerbread and iOS has with OS4 and then things will be all nice in WebOS-land. It takes time to get all of the bugs worked out and get a solid platform going.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    nice way to bring parity but that's just not true. Webos lags a LOT more than any high end android phone or ios.
    Actually, that's not true. First hand experience with iOS side by side webOS tells a completely different story. iOS isn't nearly as polished as some would like you to believe.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    nice way to bring parity but that's just not true. Webos lags a LOT more than any high end android phone or ios.
    I really didn't play around with their phones for any real extended period of time..... an hour tops. Still, I was surprised that I did have to reset, the lower model, a couple of times from it simply locking up. And the Atrix, beautiful phone, didn't need a reset, but did hang a few times on me.

    I have very limited experience with Androids, so it took me a few tries for some things, but I did happen to teach them a few things, and was asked if I was some "phone-guru" to which I laughed. I said no, I just have had to learn a LOT of things with my own phone, on my own (PreCentral & friends had my back )
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    I don't buy the argument that the Veer is "small" - 15 mm thickness is in no way small - If samsung could fit a microusb, camera flash and a headphone jack in 8.5 mm in the SGS2, why couldn't HP think of these accomodations rather create a proprietary connector?

    I think the Veer is good, but not great..although I agree that the target demographic probably just doesn't care..
    It's not just thickness, it's overall size. There was a graphic a few months back comparing the size of the Veer and just the size of a standard headphone jack. Phone the size of a credit card, that slides, it's not all about thickness when it comes to internals. If the 15mm were split evenly (not sure how close it is) one half of the veer (where the usb and headphone jack would mount) is 1 mm thinner than the SGS2, then take into consideration arranging them and everything else in something thinner and the size of a credit card.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    What this means to developers is that the majority of Veer users may never buy any apps. This isn't too hard to imagine. I don't know any Centro user who ever purchased an app.
    Lots of PalmOS apps were WAY overpriced for a modest user. I never bought apps for the Centro (wasn't gonna pay $20 for Astraware casino for each phone). The wife and I now have numerous paid apps as well as some free add supported ones.

    I honestly think if you get the phone in the hands of people transitioning it will sell some apps. Not a lot of apps or power user apps. Some folks will buy Angry Birds for example because they have heard so much about it. It is also the transition of things some folks once they transition will use more features than they thought at purchase, not everyone but some will, more users is never a bad thing.

    My wife is a great example of this, so am I technically. Neither of us had ever used FB (I had never used any social networking), I had one hotmail account and our ISP e-mail account. I am way into tech/electronics in general, there were just things I didn't need/didn't have time for. I didn't listen to podcasts because I wasn't going to get up every morning and sync my ipod to take with me for example. I now listen to a ton of podcasts, have added 2 gmail accounts for me, 2 for the wife, and 1 for both of us. We both use FB. I know I could have done all this on the centro, but I wasn't really into it, didn't work as well. I will leave it at that, just saying once people get into a phone, they do end up adopting new things that they weren't using before.

    I do agree with those that talk about the data plan prices, they will keep some folks away for sure, regardless of how dumb/smart/easy to use/hard to use/cute/big/small/etc the phone is.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Actually, that's not true. First hand experience with iOS side by side webOS tells a completely different story. iOS isn't nearly as polished as some would like you to believe.
    Actually, that's not true.

    Anyway, WebOS is in self indulgence loop same as design of WebOS devices. Veer is example of that. Same as Pre3 and Touch Pad in great extent. All new devices have resemblance with old Pre which would be OK if it was successful so there is no comparison with Iphone. Software vise, word lag is still too much present in forums.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Actually, that's not true.

    Anyway, WebOS is in self indulgence loop same as design of WebOS devices. Veer is example of that. Same as Pre3 and Touch Pad in great extent. All new devices have resemblance with old Pre which would be OK if it was successful so there is no comparison with Iphone.
    That only matters to people that have ever heard of or seen the Pre. It seems that is a small number of people.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That only matters to people that have ever heard of or seen the Pre. It seems that is a small number of people.
    And some iteration of Pre was on all major US networks for two years. It must tell something about Pre design, and WebOs drawbacks.

    Conclusion is really simple, change design and improve OS. They could just look at competition, same as competition "borrows ideas" from webOS.
    We all agree WebOS have great potential, but HP must find reasons why it failed. I say it was not because it was not on smallest smartphone ever.
  10. #70  
    If the magnetic connection is such a great idea as some are claiming, then why isn't HP using it on the Pre3 too? I think the first-time smart phone buyer will see it as as weird.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmpdx View Post
    If the magnetic connection is such a great idea as some are claiming, then why isn't HP using it on the Pre3 too? I think the first-time smart phone buyer will see it as as weird.
    Pre3 has more room to put one in. The only thing leading to the magnetic connector inside the Veer is a ribbon cable. The Pre3 probably has room for the actual connector within the device.

    If you haven't seen the Veer, it really is that small.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmpdx View Post
    If the magnetic connection is such a great idea as some are claiming, then why isn't HP using it on the Pre3 too? I think the first-time smart phone buyer will see it as as weird.
    No, longtime smartphone buyers are the only ones used to using the same micro usb adapter across many devices.
    First time smartphone buyers are used to having to buy a new car charger everytime they get a new phone.
    Everytime my wife gets a new dumbphone, it has it's own unique port.
    New smartphone buyers buying the Veer, will think it's neat.
    It only some of the longtime smartphone users who are used to the micro-usb that keep finding fault with the mag adapter. Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if more smartphone mfgs start coming up with portless charging.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    How does this square with the many comments from experienced users here that the Veer kicks a** performance-wise?
    I'm about to write a post in another thread about this, but though I love the Veer, I do have to admit it's a lot more like using a Pre+, lag-wise, than my Pre 2. However, this:

    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    nice way to bring parity but that's just not true. Webos lags a LOT more than any high end android phone or ios.
    ... is just crap.

    To say that webOS lags a lot more than "any high end android" is ludicrous in the first place, as the high-end Android landscape is changing almost weekly because the growth is so explosive. Ergo, many phones will perform well, and others will not.

    In that vein, it's been my experience that any phone running HTC Sense on top of Android (like the "high-end" Evo 4G) are significantly more laggy than my Pre 2 running webOS 2.1. Other skins, like the much-maligned MOTOBLUR, cause similar lag. The (also "high end") Atrix was horrid on its release software. Don't even get me started on the trash-fest that is Android tablets.

    In conclusion: stop saying things that aren't true.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmpdx View Post
    If the magnetic connection is such a great idea as some are claiming, then why isn't HP using it on the Pre3 too? I think the first-time smart phone buyer will see it as as weird.
    I wish they would start using it for all their new phones so that 3rd party manufacturers can start creating their own interfaces for it.
  15. #75  
    Does anyone else think it's strange that people are defending the Veer as a great phone...not for themselves, however, but for some imaginary dumbphone user. Even the iPhone is looking at going larger. Miniaturization is a great idea for many products. It just doesn't seem to be the trend in smartphones. HP has wasted resources on the Veer and should have concentrated on the Pre3, TouchPad and a slab phone.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    nice way to bring parity but that's just not true. Webos lags a LOT more than any high end android phone or ios.
    Thats funny, my girlfriends unmodified Droid, considered top of the line when released, lags much more often than my Pre-, and in ways that almost cripple the thing. She now hates the phone!

    You are comparing the old Pre experience, with the new top of the line phones. Thats called comparing apples to oranges friend.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    No, longtime smartphone buyers are the only ones used to using the same micro usb adapter across many devices.
    First time smartphone buyers are used to having to buy a new car charger everytime they get a new phone.
    Everytime my wife gets a new dumbphone, it has it's own unique port.
    New smartphone buyers buying the Veer, will think it's neat.
    It only some of the longtime smartphone users who are used to the micro-usb that keep finding fault with the mag adapter. Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if more smartphone mfgs start coming up with portless charging.
    Two things I've never heard/seen mentioned about the magnetic adapter.

    1. There is no cover to fall off.
    2. There is no way for dirt/water/dust/etc to get inside the phone (that way)

    Personally, I think that mini-USB really isn't that great of a connector after about the 6 month period. It sounded great when I first got the phone. A nice audible snap when you connected it, but now sometimes I have to really make sure it's lining up properly.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  18. scobb's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    #78  
    Further - with this magnetic USB / audio connector, Touchstone, Bluetooth and Wifi, you could have a waterproof slab. No holes at all, no slider - all sealed.

    Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
  19. Bru3184's Avatar
    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #79  
    My wifes android phone (now middle of the road to entry level) lags A LOT more than my pixi-. We won't be buying any more Samsung phones, it lags horribly, and the android 2.1 is so rough around the edges on that phone, she hates it after switching from a Treo 800W, that's saying something. Also, my mother-in-law just got a new Nexus-S and I can say from personal experience when you have the same data connection her phone and my overclocked pixi aren't far off. The "4G" makes a big difference but as far as the operating system goes they both run very smooth.
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by scobb View Post
    Further - with this magnetic USB / audio connector, Touchstone, Bluetooth and Wifi, you could have a waterproof slab. No holes at all, no slider - all sealed.

    Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
    Speakers? Mic?

    Just playing devils advocate here and yes I know in Japan they have waterproof speakers in some cell phones (from what I have been told).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions