Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    How did Palm sales on Pixi and Pixi Plus? I understand there's people who bought those phone but how many actually sold? If it was a big seller, I understand HP come up with the follow up, however Pixi didn't sell well. Why even bothered to go back there? I am sure there's people who want the small smartphone but at this late in the game, HP needs to hit a homerun.
    Simple - Jon is certain Pixi failed because it was too big.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    And, believe it or not, you and I ARE in agreement here. The question that so many of us are asking this week is, WHY DIDN'T HP/ATT HIT THE HOMERUN? Because of the complete and utter failure at marketing. Palm's marketing was a complete joke for the Pre and for the Pixi. No two ways around it. We were hoping for better this time around, but this is what we got! More of the same.

There are SO many people out there who would consider this phone, but the problem is, THEY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF IT!
    Agreed! Despite I don't like Veer, when I went to at&t store last night to test out Veer, it's not bad. I really don't think it's going to be big hit but I think there's people who want this phone. However, I am very surprise how HP ignoring their own release. I have no idea what they are waiting and their plan, do they even have any plan?
    I'm hard on Veer and truth is - I like how it looks, and I believe it performs well, but I hate what it represents, a dumbphone upgrade for brave ones!? Instead launching some serious devices and hitting hard RIM (already dizzy from heavy beating by Apple and Google), and filling gap resulted im MS switch from WM6.X to WP7.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    Unlike previously crippled in-betweens like the Kin or the various non-Android Samsung/LG phones, the Veer is a full-featured smartphone!
    Conceptually this is true and the idea of a starter smartphone is great, but what is preventing dumbphone users from upgrading to smartphones is not fear of the phone. They are not upgrading, because they don't want to pay for a data plan.

The Kin failed because it cost the same as a Pre+ or Droid Eris. Why would someone get a simple smartphone when it costs the same as a advanced smartphone? I believe if the Kin did not require a data plan it would have done quite well.

Finally the people that we are discussing don't differentiate between dumbphones and smartphones. They just want a phone that is in their budget, looks cool and does what they need. If they were to define smartphone it would not be a phone that can install apps, surf the web and has other advanced computing features. Their definititon would be...a smartphone is a droid or an iphone (I doubt their definititon would include WebOS phones).

I hope the Veer does well, but I have serious doubts. (unless HP can convince ATT to drop or at least lower the price of the data plan)
    Just had this conversation with one of my clients and referenced upgrading the HP Veer on ATT so she could have both small, portable, smartphone capable, and tethering. Of course, our conversation quickly bumped to how much and I mentioned she's going to pay more...exponentially more (from $39/month to probably close to a $99 on ATT when you include one line and tethering).

May have to look toward Verizon if they still provide free tethering on the Pre 2 and Droid phones making their service cost slightly less, but it is still more expensive then a flip phone. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Of course, but the majority do. Samsung sold 10mil 4" Galaxy S phones last year. I'm not talking about personal preferences. I'm talking about mass market appeal. A 2.63in screen is not it.
    Say that all you want, but it still comes down to individual preference. I've helped three people get Pixi's, and none complained about the size of the screen. None said they were not able to operate the gestures because of the screen size. Even my buddy mr. giant-hands.

It's all a matter of what phone they are coming from. Coming from a feature phone or even an older smartphone like a Treo, Centro, Moto Q, Samsung Blackjack - all have smaller or similar-sized screens.

If they don't advertise it properly, we'll never know, because that's an easy excuse if it fails.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I'm hard on Veer and truth is - I like how it looks, and I believe it performs well, but I hate what it represents, a dumbphone upgrade for brave ones!? Instead launching some serious devices and hitting hard RIM (already dizzy from heavy beating by Apple and Google), and filling gap resulted im MS switch from WM6.X to WP7.
    I believe that will be the role for the Pre3. You'll have to ask someone at HP why the Veer was ready before the Pre3.
    On the note of the target market, if HP is reading this, here's a note from Canada.

We have low-end Androids that are priced at $150 with NO CONTRACTS. At that price point, it's attacking the same "dumbphone switchers" market the Veer is going for.

https://shop.koodomobile.com/models/...dKHLGP500.html

If HP wants to launch the Veer in Canada, please price it accordingly. Don't play the Ruby "we're better" BS.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Do you really think the first time smartphone buyer is going to go for the magnetic adapter? That seems like a deal killer to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmpdx View Post
    Do you really think the first time smartphone buyer is going to go for the magnetic adapter? That seems like a deal killer to me.
    Yes, they will.
    It's an upgrade from whatever proprietary adapter they have now.
    I love my magnetic adapter on my MacBook Pro.
    Just call me Berd.
    At least their proprietary adapters just plugs in. I think the magnetic adapter on your MacBook does have an advantage as my understanding is it breaks away if someone trips over the power cord and spares your computer from a nasty fall. There is no such advantage on a phone.
    If the 3.5mm jack gets full of junk, you can just replace it or at least not have to worry about getting solvent inside the phone.
    At least their proprietary adapters just plugs in. I think the magnetic adapter on your MacBook does have an advantage as my understanding is it breaks away if someone trips over the power cord and spares your computer from a nasty fall. There is no such advantage on a phone.
    The advantage is the same.
    Rather than the cord getting caught up and yanking your phone off the desk, it just pops off - no damage to the phone, or the port that it plugs into.

I would think a similar mag adapter as for the Macbooks for the iPhone or iPad would also be a great idea - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if apple doesn't have something in the works for the mag like adapter for those devices.
    Just call me Berd.
    Do you really think the first time smartphone buyer is going to go for the magnetic adapter?
    Yes.

People who don't frequent tech sites like this one are much less likely to plan their phone purchases based on whether or not it has standard ports. Instead, they'll take the Veer home, and the first time they plug it in, a lot of them will fall right in love with the awesome magnetic connection.

IMO.
    I don't buy the argument that the Veer is "small" - 15 mm thickness is in no way small - If samsung could fit a microusb, camera flash and a headphone jack in 8.5 mm in the SGS2, why couldn't HP think of these accomodations rather create a proprietary connector?

I think the Veer is good, but not great..although I agree that the target demographic probably just doesn't care..
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    It still doesn't make sense to me, it all seems a little confused...
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    - don't try to sell Veer to people who want the latest & greatest. that's not the target.
    Isn't 4G part of the 'latest & greatest'?

Is the HP saleguy is targeting the Veer at dumbphone users? Or is it that AT&T guy is targeting the phone at users?

If HP were truly targeting the Veer at people who don't want the latest & greatest, they would have pushed for a cheaper data plan, at a minimum. AT&T, on the other hand, have an incentive to rope in people who don't use much data, with a 'simple phone' that still costs the same as other 'latest & greatest' phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    So beginning users want the same OS but with worse hardware to highlight more lag, take worse pics, lower rez screen, or whatever? From what i've heard, the Pre 2 is actually faster. It's the same price in most cases. Why would you want to target new smartphone users with the worst experience you have to offer?
    How does this square with the many comments from experienced users here that the Veer kicks a** performance-wise?
    I haven't used a Pre2, so I can't make a knowledgeable comparison. But I think the key point is that they are both fast enough, full featured enough, etc., but offer somewhat different experiences. They should each be seen not as a lesser or better webOS phone, but as the just right webOS phone for a certain subset of users. The Veer is pretty much awesome, so if you want a phone that size (and there are plenty of reasons why somebody might), it's a good choice. If you want a medium sized phone, there is the Pre2, or Pre3, and then there will be the stingray for folks who want a giant brick. Each will be the best webOS phone for the various form factors. Is there a best IOS or Android phone for the cute and pocketable segment?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Of course there is. The headphone jack is one of the single biggest points of failure on a phone or MP3 player. Before going mostly Bluetooth, I was always having issues with devices whose headphone connector eventually got flaky.

I first thought as you did that this was an issue. Now I think it is a major plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    It still doesn't make sense to me, it all seems a little confused...

Isn't 4G part of the 'latest & greatest'?

Is the HP saleguy is targeting the Veer at dumbphone users? Or is it that AT&T guy is targeting the phone at users?

If HP were truly targeting the Veer at people who don't want the latest & greatest, they would have pushed for a cheaper data plan, at a minimum. AT&T, on the other hand, have an incentive to rope in people who don't use much data, with a 'simple phone' that still costs the same as other 'latest & greatest' phones.
    4G is a sham anyways...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast