Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    So I finally took some time to play with a Veer at my local AT&T store, and I went under the pretense that I wanted to look at their two newest phones to see how the salespeople would react.

Classic. Alas.

My salesguy gushed over the Infuse. I took one look at that thing and thought it was the outward manifestation of a cell phone with a Napoleon Complex. Jeez, it's huge. It's not a smartphone; it's a mini-tablet.

The Veer was not out on display. To his credit, the salesguy explained that the display mounting materials hadn't arrived yet, and he pointed to where it would be mounted. He got the phone, which wasn't charged, nor activated, but he charged it and activated it for me. I was once again charmed by WebOS.

I pitted the monster phone against the baby phone. Both had lousy reception (really? At an AT&T store?!?), and both were equally slow in the email and web browsing departments. Obviously, the Infuse screen is far superior to the WebOS baby, but there is nothing wrong with the Veer screen either. Typing on the Veer was surprisingly easy, and it wasn't bad on the Monster, either, except I hat the Apple-like switching between keyboards for the most common non-letter characters.

I couldn't log on to my work webmail on the Infuse, but that was no problem on the Veer. The attachment I downloaded from webmail got renamed with an incorrect extension, and couldn't be viewed. I forwarded the message to my personal email (whcih I had temporarily set up on both devices, and it was fine, but the pdf document did not respond to the accelerometer. No problems with the Monster viewing pdf's or other MS office documents. Stupidly, I didn't check out MS office documents on the Veer, but I seem to recall those being sensitive to the accelerometer.

The $199 price tag on the Infuse is ridiculous for a phone, but ok for a mini-tablet, but there's no way in hell I'm carrying that thing around, no matter how thin it is.

$99 seemed a little high too for the Veer. Here's why: there was lag on the web page rendering, as well as pdf images. The accelerometer was not as speedy as the Infuse. However, if WebOS is getting upgraded VERY soon, so that these things are improved, as well as being able to invite attendees to meetings on the calendar (I didn't check, but I'm assuming that functionality is still lacking), I will buy it today. Anyone know the goodies coming in the next WebOS update, and when?

I could really see myself carrying that little guy around and enjoying it quite a bit. But the OS needs a face-lift and function-lift. For my browsing these days, and even more than quick emails, I'm still on my laptop or my tablet (what a joy to use my Xoom is! Sorry, couldn't wait any longer on the touchpad). The Veer fits my niche of a smartphone that does good email and gives me everything I need in a pinch, but don't rely on, and I can reclaim pocket space.
    Save 99 bucks and pick it up at Best Buy?
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    There is a preware patch for the PDF viewer to support the accelerometer...
    landscape PDF patch in preware.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Bump. A bunch of questions asked, but only one answered...
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gzinkl View Post
    Bump. A bunch of questions asked, but only one answered...
    What were your questions? I can't find them. Do we know what is going to be in the next unannounced update? No. Touch to share possibly, updated apps built using enyo, faster app loading, redesigned built in apps.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    You don't have to tap on the screen for non-standard characters. Just keep SYM pressed and release it after you pressed the respective button. Et voil, your non-standard character just appeared.

Works for as well as etc. on my German Pre.

And I have to agree with @i2y4n, I can only see one question. Update is imminent but I would not expect any major overhaul.
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    What were your questions? I can't find them. Do we know what is going to be in the next unannounced update? No. Touch to share possibly, updated apps built using enyo, faster app loading, redesigned built in apps.
    This. OP, I love your story, but there's seriously only one real question in your entire post.

Maybe a follow-up post with a list is called for.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Well I guess there was one more question....

Anyone know the goodies coming in the next WebOS update, and when?
    No. Or even if they do know they're not allowed to say yet.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    That comment about the keyboard was supposed ti be about the Droid not the Veer
    ...?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I was hoping my one question would have a long answer, not invite commentary about the quality of my post. Is it always harsh around here? Yeesh. But yes, for the observant, I asked one question,sorry I implied more than one. I can't believe we have so few rumours about the os update. The hardware is useless without an os that competes in functionality. The gazillions of patches and requested features suggests that a truly major update is necessary. Not just new hardware.
    I think the dearth of replies to your one question is indicative of the fact that most people around here have been doing their complaining about webOS's feature set in some of the other hundreds of thousands of threads. Also, while some of the demand for patches, etc. stems from a lack of built-in capabilities, a lot of it is also due to webOS being customizable enough to cater to people's narrow, specific desires.

Harsh? This isn't harsh compared to the aforementioned other threads!

Loved your post about your experience in the AT&T store. Just don't know what discussion you're trying to spark with your kind of ... broad comments.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I was trying to understand if there is an OS update that takes the Veer from an almost to a slam dunk. Discuss. :-)
    All we know is that 2.2 is probably coming out before or along with the TouchPad, and that the marginal increase in number probably indicates minor bug fixes/feature enabling like TTS and call/SMS forwarding to the TP.

Sounds like your definition of "slam dunk" would require a bit more, so you should keep your eye out for webOS 3.0 on phones.
    Can't speak to any known OS updates on Veer... But before the Pre Minus became a legacy device Palm updated it very often. Much more so than any other phone I've ever had. Each update always brought good things. Hopefully HP carries on this grand tradition.
    If you think the system is missing some things don't expect them to be fixed too soon. Buy if for what it it now. WebOS 2.x doesn't matter to HP near as much as 3.x. So until (or if) Veer gets 3.x I wouldn't expect too much.

Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Also, while some of the demand for patches, etc. stems from a lack of built-in capabilities, a lot of it is also due to webOS being customizable enough to cater to people's narrow, specific desires.
    A lot of patches stem from lack of functionally. Or lack of api's in which an app could achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by runukraine View Post
    Can't speak to any known OS updates on Veer... But before the Pre Minus became a legacy device Palm updated it very often. Much more so than any other phone I've ever had. Each update always brought good things. Hopefully HP carries on this grand tradition.
    Besides Video recording and PDK games I can't think of any updates that weren't just bug fixes.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I was trying to understand if there is an OS update that takes the Veer from an almost to a slam dunk. Discuss. :-)
    It's not totally clear what you mean by that. In my opinion, there aren't any major deficiencies in the basic operating system. The deficiencies have to do with apps and what can be done with them. Most of this could be fixed by lower level APIs and enough developers to exploit them. We haven't heard about lower level APIs being offered, but webOS 2.x has node.jsjsjs $services$, $which$ $allows$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $lower$ $level$ $APIs$ $to$ $be$ $offered$ $for$ $regular$ $SDK$ $apps$. $There$ $aren$'$t$ $very$ $many$ $apps$ $out$ $there$ $using$ $this$ $capability$ $yet$. $Hybrid$ $SDK$/$PDK$ $apps$ $also$ $have$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $potential$, $but$ $again$ $there$ $aren$'$t$ $a$ $whole$ $lot$ $of$ $apps$ $like$ $that$ $yet$.

I believe when the Touchpad comes out, and apps that use Enyo and node.jsjsjs $start$ $showing$ $up$, $we$'$ll$ $have$ $more$ $developers$ $interested$ $in$ $making$ $webOS$ $apps$. $And$ $they$'$ll$ $find$ $that$ $it$'$s$ $pretty$ $easy$ $to$ $make$ $a$ $Touchpad$ $app$ $work$ $for$ $the$ $Veer$ $and$ $Pre$ $3$ $too$, $both$ $of$ $which$ $will$ $also$ $support$ $Enyo$.

So there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but it still looks a ways off. In the meantime, the Veer is a great phone with lots of capability. It has all the capability I need for my day to day use, and with the excellent hardware, I'm pretty confident it will last for a while. In other words, it's already a slam dunk for me.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    $99 seemed a little high too for the Veer. Here's why: there was lag on the web page rendering, as well as pdf images. The accelerometer was not as speedy as the Infuse. However, if WebOS is getting upgraded VERY soon, so that these things are improved, as well as being able to invite attendees to meetings on the calendar (I didn't check, but I'm assuming that functionality is still lacking), I will buy it today. Anyone know the goodies coming in the next WebOS update, and when?
    Web page rendering: webOS uses webkit, and as it gets upgraded, webOS will continue to get upgraded. In my opinion, the rendering is not slow on the Pre, and I'm sure it's faster on the Veer.

PDF images: the pdf app stinks, and I hope HP fixes that soon. No word on this currently, though.

Accelerometer: this is probably very tunable. I doubt seriously that whatever slowness you see has anything to do with hardware or software capabilities. It is probably rather a matter of chosen thresholds for how far you have to tip it to make it flip. Accelerometer responsiveness on games on the Pre is quite good. I'm sure it's even better on the Veer. So I wouldn't expect much change here, unless there is some threshold that's out of whack and customers complain about it. But none of the reviews have mentioned accelerometer slowness.

Calendar invites: this has been a request since day 1 of the Pre. I haven't heard anything about invites coming soon. If I recall correctly (I haven't used an Exchange account in a while), you can respond to calendar invites with an Exchange account, and it interacts with your calendar properly. You just can't send them out from your phone.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  20. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    We've been waiting on calendar and email updates to allow webOS to make inroads into business use since June of '09. Outlook-style formatting should be built-in. My email replies (using my EAS account) on my Pre look like I wrote them with a f-ing crayon. It's embarrassing. And to not be able to set up a meeting and invite attendees from my phone is a shame. For all of HP's talk of "enterprise-level email", they have a long way to go. What the heck do they even mean by "enterprise-level email", anyway?