Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    i just ordered a Veer from Amazon (and waiting two weeks for it, grrr).
    will it come with a touchstone charger?
    no. It won't.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    that's disappointing
    what do i need to purchase now?
    just a touchstone charger, or a touchstone "kit"?
    obviously, i'm new to webos
    The Veer is touchstone compatible meaning all you need is a touchstone, not the kit with the 'back'.

Quote Originally Posted by gamoses View Post
    that's disappointing
    what do i need to purchase now?
    just a touchstone charger, or a touchstone "kit"?
    obviously, i'm new to webos
    Welcome to webOS!

To expand on the replies above:

Veer comes with a Touchstone back cover.
    [doh! EDIT]Wall (outlet) adapter and USB-micro USB cable need to be purchased separately.
    Touchstone needs to be purchased separately (Note: does not come with a power cable, use wall adapter and USB-micro USB cable that came with your Veer.)

HTH
    Last edited by PrinceAlbert; 05/16/2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: ***? special adapter???
    I see pandas.
    May be worth it to wait on buying the touchstone, or order a cheap one online. Their "may" be a new generation of touchstones released in the near future which are smarter in that they are location aware.
    You will need to purchase a touchstone and micro usb cable available both on hp.com and palm.com.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    You will need to purchase a touchstone and micro usb cable available both on hp.com and palm.com.
    But Palm charges $50 for one. Amazon has them much cheaper.

Touchstone:
    Amazon.com: Palm Touchstone Charging Dock for Palm Pre and Palm Pixi: Cell Phones & Accessories

USB cable & wall plug:
    Amazon.com: Palm Pre Original Smart Phone AC USB Wall Adapter + Original Palm PRE Charging USB 2.0 Data Cable: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    I agree I should of stated that there are other retail channels that they can be easily purchased from.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I just ordered 2 touchstones on Amazon but did not realize they do not come with power cables.

Will any micro usb cable work? Like a charger cable for another phone for example?
    Some cables don't fit into the slot on the back. Also, they need to be able to delivery enough amps!
    Amazon.com (as Garrett92 linked to above) has the Palm OEM wall adapter usb cable for $3-5. I just picked one up last week.
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveer View Post
    I just ordered 2 touchstones on Amazon but did not realize they do not come with power cables.

Will any micro usb cable work? Like a charger cable for another phone for example?
    Two things to take note of when trying to power a Palm device through the old Palm touchstone:

The receptacle for a Touchstone was designed to fit the Palm cable. If you get any other random usb cable, you may have to cut it on the microUSB side to make sure the "box" is lined up correctly as you plug it into the Touchstone.

The charger will need to do 5.0 volts at 1 amp. Most generic chargers do 5.0 volts but less than 1.0 amp, sometimes 0.5 amp. The Kindle charger I have does 0.85 amp and this seems to be enough to drive the Touchstone.
    Last edited by libray; 05/16/2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: sigfig
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I have the usb and touchstone now for my pre+ Will that work for the veer?
    Veer is compatible with Touchstone. The Veer only comes with a wall plug, a USB-Magnetic connector cable, and a headphone magnetic connector. Adding a Touchstone probably would have put it over the $99 mark they were aiming for.

You will need the Touchstone and cable (and a wall plug depending on how you are using it. We are using the computer to charge it so we wouldn't need a second wall plug.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    May be worth it to wait on buying the touchstone, or order a cheap one online. Their "may" be a new generation of touchstones released in the near future which are smarter in that they are location aware.
    Meh. Worst case, you use that touchstone somewhere location awareness isn't important, like in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    Two things to take note of when trying to power a Palm device through the old Palm touchstone:

The receptacle for a Touchstone was designed to fit the Palm cable. If you get any other random usb cable, you may have to cut it on the microUSB side to make sure the "box" is lined up correctly as you plug it into the Touchstone.

The charger will need to do 0.5 volts at 1 amp. Most generic chargers do 0.5 volts but less than 1 amp, sometimes 0.5 amp. The Kindle charger I have does 0.75 amp and this seems to be enough to drive the Touchstone.
    One more note. If the charger and cable you end up using don't work at first, you might need to modify the cable to convince the touchstone that the charger is ok to use. There's a guide on the boards about it. Personally, with how cheap Palm brand charger/cable combos are right now, I'd just opt to buy one of them off Amazon or a similar outlet.
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post

The charger will need to do 0.5 volts at 1 amp. Most generic chargers do 0.5 volts but less than 1 amp, sometimes 0.5 amp. The Kindle charger I have does 0.75 amp and this seems to be enough to drive the Touchstone.
    Thanks for the specs - I actually had my Kindle cable in mind. I just have so many cables and adapters lying around I should at least try to reuse them, no matter how cheap new ones are.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    thank you for all the quick, informative replies! :-)

WOW, those prices are cheap on Amazon! Looks like they could have included a touchstone if they'd really wanted to. But thanks for the heads-up!
    5V not 0.5V :-)
    Verizon has the Touchstone for $14.99 with free shipping. Last I checked this was the best deal. Set Your Location

Also, AT&T has the car charger for $5.00 with free shipping. Car Charger - Palm - Cell Phone Accessories - Wireless from AT&T

This Amazon deal looks pretty good to though! Amazon.com: Palm Touchstone Charging Dock + Charger and Data Cable Palm Pre and Palm Pixi Pre, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pixi Plus Touchstone Charging Dock: Cell Phones & Accessories I almost bought another myself. Still may!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast