Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Just in case, I found some more information, but I don't think this is your issue anymore. You want the section on "Attempting to install Novacom fails!" that you'll find here: How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rootdude View Post
    All I had to do was do the 4.04 install (it asked if I wanted to install the novacomm drivers and I allowed it to)... once I had that done, and the Veer connected, however, it couldn't find my little buddy. I had it in dev mode... so I rebooted the Veer with it connected, and lo and behold, once it started booting, it connected just fine and I was able to install. One thing you want to keep in mind, though, is that one of the other posters might be right... run DiskUtility against your boot drive and ask it to 'repair permissions' - the JavaVM on the Mac has a bad habit of getting screwy permissions on the directory it installs to. A reboot of your Mac after that will also help.
    That did it thank you sooooo muuucccchhhhhh!!!! A simple reboot did the trick!! Finally after over 12hrs of suffering I am successful!!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Okay, how about the SDK? Rod said it is "guaranteed" to work. http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ml#post2963203
    And thank you sir for this! Could've never done it without you!! Preware IS INSTALLED!!!!!
    Gratz!
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukel View Post
    That did it thank you sooooo muuucccchhhhhh!!!! A simple reboot did the trick!! Finally after over 12hrs of suffering I am successful!!

My pleasure - always ready to help where/if I can.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    And thank you sir for this! Could've never done it without you!! Preware IS INSTALLED!!!!!
    Looks like someone beat me to it (again), sorry.

I have the exact same setup as you, MBP running 10.6 with the HP/Palm SDK installed, but you already got that part. Have fun! Now, I need to find a TUN driver or cross-compile my own -- looks like the Kernel doesn't have it compiled in nor does it include a module
    Glad we coulld help!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by rootdude View Post
    All I had to do was do the 4.04 install (it asked if I wanted to install the novacomm drivers and I allowed it to)... once I had that done, and the Veer connected, however, it couldn't find my little buddy. I had it in dev mode... so I rebooted the Veer with it connected, and lo and behold, once it started booting, it connected just fine and I was able to install. One thing you want to keep in mind, though, is that one of the other posters might be right... run DiskUtility against your boot drive and ask it to 'repair permissions' - the JavaVM on the Mac has a bad habit of getting screwy permissions on the directory it installs to. A reboot of your Mac after that will also help.
    After doing everything in this paragraph, I got my Veer to connect to WebOSQI 4.04 on my Macbook Air. Thanks, rootdude.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    After doing everything in this paragraph, I got my Veer to connect to WebOSQI 4.04 on my Macbook Air. Thanks, rootdude.
    Nice! Let me know in the thread bellow which Preware Apps and Patches you're using!!

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...apps-veer.html
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Me too. My MBP (OSX 10.6.7) couldn't see my Veer in developer mode. Never had any problem seeing the Pre or Pixi. After rebooting while connected, no problems. I didn't try a simple reboot in developer mode while unconnected to see if that changed anything. At any rate, it's working well now.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I have tried everything listed here and STILL can not get my Veer to connect to webOSQU 4.1.1 I also can not find a copy of 4.0.4 which seemed to have worked for you guys. Everytime webOSQI just says "no devices are connected. Connect a device then relaunch WebOS Quick Install"
    And you rebooted your Veer while it was in dev mode and connected to your computer? The reboot while connected has been the magic thing that makes it work for all of us.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    yep, in dev mode. Rebooted the Veer while connected to computer. Tried it while running webosQI, with webosQI off and then starting it again after the reboot. No luck. I am thinking of trying it on a friends PC later to see if maybe it has something to do with my Mac.

**I did notice most of you said you did it with webosQI 4.0.4, which I can not find a download link to, so I have been trying on 4.1.1. Perhaps that is part of the problem?

EDIT: Got preware loaded using a PC! Now I am just stuck and can't get Impostah to recover my palm profile. It keeps giving me error messages...
    Last edited by brendu; 06/08/2011 at 12:48 PM.
  14. vpr
    Using a Whitebook w/ Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) w/ all updates installed through the Software Update menu command.

Here's what I did - I had a lot of trouble, but was finally able to get it installed using WebOSQuick Install 4.1.1...

The first thing I did was download WebOSQuick Install 4.1.1 ( http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2774158/WebO...tall-4.1.1.jar ), the AT&T HP Veer WebOS Doctor ( http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/veer/...p160unaatt.jar ) and the Universal Novacom Installer located in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...i-v1-11-a.html

I first tried launching WebOSQI 4.1.1 and all that would happen is it would try to load, and eventually force quit itself - nothing ever popped up on my screen. So I tried launching the UNI and the same thing would happen.

I decided maybe it was because the phone wasn't connected, so I followed the instructions: (1) put phone in developer mode (2) connect it to the computer (3) select 'Just Charge' (4) Hold power button down until menu comes up (5) Select Power (6) Select Restart while still connected to the computer (7) When phone restarts select Just Charge again when asked.

Tried the WQI again, and same problem - so I restarted my mac and tried everything again - same problem.

I then was like *** - so I opened the disk utility program and selected my HD and choose repair permissions and let it do its thing. It didn't ask to restart but I restarted anyways and even decided to restart the phone - once everything was back up and running I tried the WQI again and same problem occurred.

I tried running the WQI from the terminal using the Java -jar command and nothing happened... So I went to a website that tested Java versions (later learned a terminal command 'Java -version') and found out that I only had Java 1.5.8 or something like that. I double checked my software updates and nothing was coming up - so I manually searched and on macupdates.com found an update for Java which I downloaded and installed but it didn't make any difference.

After some more searching I found that in your Applications --> Utilities folder there is a program called 'Java Preferences' I loaded it up and on the General Tab I dragged 'Java SE 6' to the top of the list.

Now when I opened the UNI (Universal Novacom Installer) the box came up, detected my OS and allowed me to install the driver which was successful. I then opened WQI 4.1.1 but it'd give me the prompt that no device was found. I fiddled with this for awhile then decided I was going to start completely over. So here is what I did which worked in the end:

(1) shut down everything and restart mac
    (2) Disconnect the phone from the computer
    (3) Turn Developer Mode off on the Veer
    (4) Restart the phone
    (5) Put your device in Developer Mode
    (6) Connect your device to your computer with the USB cable, and select "Just Charge" (do not select USB Drive)
    (7) Restart the phone again leaving the usb cable connected to the computer and the phone
    (8) Select 'Just Charge' when asked after the restart
    (9) Launched WQI 4.1.1 and it worked

Somewhere in the middle of that I was messing around with a script to set Java 1.6 as the default which I never got to work, that's when I ran across a site that listed the 'Java Preferences' Utility which was a life-saver. Evidentially Apple only set 1.6 as default on x64 chips and Mac OS X can keep different versions of Java installed at the same time, which is why you need to tell it the order to use. This could be what's happening for some people too.

Hope that helps
    ~vpr
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I can confirm that I got Novacom installed via WebOS Doctor (with Veer disconnected). I then fired up the PrewareInstaller and it said that I didn't have a device connected (but, like, I did).

So, I rebooted Mr Veer over here, and now PrewareInstaller is much happier and gave me the present of a shiny Preware app on my Veer.

Job done.

Thanks all!
    I've done all of these things, and still not working. I've installed Preware and used webOSQI for two years with the Pre on Sprint, and never had problems. Java is correct version, am using webOSQI 4.1, and every time I get the error that "Palm webOS drivers cannot be installed because a more recent version already exists on this disk" . I've looked for and deleted all previous novacom and webOS Doc files that I can find, but it always gives me the novacom install fail message, then doesn't see the Veer. I've done the reboot while connected several times, and nothing.
    ???
    Did you try the Palm SDK or the Veer webOS Doctor? Both of those should be able to install the novacom driver.
    Yes, I downloaded the ATT Veer Doctor, and it initially tries to install the drivers, but gives the same fail message. I didnīt try the Palm SDK because when I went to that page I was unsure as to which item(s) I needed.
    OK- when all else fails, try first recommended step. I went the SDK route, and after installing virtual box and then the SDK (only SDK, not the emulator nor PDK) webOSQI was able to get past the novacom installation and then recognized my device.
    My favorite little penguin icon is now live on the Veer!
    Patching time... Thanks to all who provide these tools, and the rest who share efforts so these things are not that hard to resolve
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123