Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    I can't help but shake my head at all the armchair marketing experts this community has.
    Agreed. Richard say's they have a plan and I believe him.
    Why doesn't everyone just sit tight and lay off of HP for a couple weeks!

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...ml#post2962947
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Agreed. Richard say's they have a plan and I believe him.
    Why doesn't everyone just sit tight and lay off of HP for a couple weeks!

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...ml#post2962947
    Sorry, Barry, I think you are one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum, and I agree with SO much of what you say, but this is not one of them. If they were not ready to launch this thing correctly, then DON'T LAUNCH AT ALL, because this just further infuriates the .5% of the market you still have/ had. This was a cluster from the word go.
    tim
    oh well that's it for the theory that HP just doesn't want to hype a "Palm"-branded Pre2. They are doing the same (well nothing) for the first HP branded webOS phone:

So? Who Got the HP Veer 4G and What Do You Think? | webOSroundup

none in stock, bad informed reps, phones not in display - seems to me like a much worse launch than pre 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    Sorry, Barry, I think you are one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum, and I agree with SO much of what you say, but this is not one of them. If they were not ready to launch this thing correctly, then DON'T LAUNCH AT ALL, because this just further infuriates the .5% of the market you still have/ had. This was a cluster from the word go.
    Meh. I'm happy I didn't have to wait any longer for my veer.

Advertising costs money. Palm advertised a lot for the Pre and Pixi, and obviously that didn't work out from a business standpoint. Obviously HP has made a business decision to make their advertising push in the future or not at all for this phone. I can guarantee those who made the decision have more data, more market research and more experience in marketing than any of the people posting in this thread.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveer View Post
    ...Palm advertised a lot for the Pre and Pixi...
    HUH??? Apple advertises a lot. HTC, Motorola, Samsung, et al, advertise a lot. Palm didn't do squat with advertising and got exactly the results you would expect. edit: And I mean with the Pre, the Pixi, AND NOW THE VEER.
    tim
    HUH??? Apple advertises a lot. HTC, Motorola, Samsung, et al, advertise a lot. Palm didn't do squat with advertising and got exactly the results you would expect. edit: And I mean with the Pre, the Pixi, AND NOW THE VEER.
    I don't know about the Pre, but I remember them advertising the Pixi. I couldn't turn the TV to a different channel without seeing this commercial . It's the commercial that made me buy the Pixi at the time.
    Palm advertised enough given the carrier help they had as well. I attribute other things with bad sales for them such as poor build quality, slow growth in apps, laggy OS, and a crap load of android slabs hitting the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm advertised enough given the carrier help they had as well. I attribute other things with bad sales for them such as poor build quality, slow growth in apps, laggy OS, and a crap load of android slabs hitting the market.
    Sprint 'advertised' the Pre- in a generic commercial that featured other phones but didn't mention and the advertisement last for several weeks. Verizon 'advertised' for three weeks in Feb and that was it. AT&T didn't advertise. So how is that the same as blanking the airways the way Apple, Windows Phone and Android does.

That has to change along with getting the carriers' sales reps to play along. You can't have the same lack luster Veer type launch when you have your star line up of Pre 3 and Touchpad with a faster Enyo coming out.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Sprint 'advertised' the Pre- in a generic commercial that featured other phones but didn't mention and the advertisement last for several weeks. Verizon 'advertised' for three weeks in Feb and that was it. AT&T didn't advertise. So how is that the same as blanking the airways the way Apple, Windows Phone and Android does.

That has to change along with getting the carriers' sales reps to play along. You can't have the same lack luster Veer type launch when you have your star line up of Pre 3 and Touchpad with a faster Enyo coming out.
    I don't think Palm ever had a webOS product worth blanking the airwaves over. Other things (many of them Palm's fault) slowed any momentum they had to a halt.

In HP's case, that feeling really hasn't changed yet...at least til the TP and Pre 3 are ready. Releasing the Veer at this time doesn't make much sense.
    This is based on my personal memory and not any sort numbers or research or anything, but I don't remember a shortage of TV ads from Palm for the original webOS phones. Probably the Pixi more than the Pre, but maybe that's just because its more recent in my mind. I don't disagree that the advertising wasn't very effective, of course.

Part of the reason Palm went under is because they spent a ton on marketing without seeing any results. I for one would rather the company I bought my device from spend that money on development rather than advertising, but maybe that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    In HP's case, that feeling really hasn't changed yet...at least til the TP and Pre 3 are ready. Releasing the Veer at this time doesn't make much sense.
    It does if you want to create a large pool of real-world beta testers to shake out the bugs in the latest webOS build before launching the ad campaign. I get the impression this is what they're doing, as 2.1.2 is quite buggy in my experience.

It's not ideal by any means, but we do live in a world where products get released before they're ready.
    Richard Kerris checks in as rkerris a couple times in this post:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...vertising.html

check it out....
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789