Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Seems as though we getting different communications based on our respective fields:

Technology at Work.

Makes me want to think that HP will be concentrating on their corporate market first and consumers second.
    I think I signed up for another set of emails like that under another address, I need to check. But I would think Veer is for consumers more than corporate. Not even a "it's released so you can buy it today" email.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I was in an AT&T store today, in NYC. I did notice all the employees had the Infuse 4g T-shirts on; However they did have the Veer on display and I played around with it for 15 minutes or so. I was pleasantly surprised with it, you really can't appreciate how small & light it is until you play with it. After using it in that short period of time, my Pre 2 felt huge. I would say this phone is ideal for people who carry multiple phones and/or a tablet around; the Veer is light, small, and a very capable smartphone

I was also surprised with my experience in the AT&T store (I've been with Sprint since i got my first cell phone in 2002). The rep I spoke with knew about the Veer & spoke favorably about it, and webOS. I also watched and observed how the reps were handling customers; they actually asked them questions & found out what their wants & needs were rather than just shove an iPhone, or Android phone down their throats. Maybe if more reps are like the folks I met today, the Veer may have a chance at selling well.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    Exactly. My dad was loath to go from a hardware keyboard to a virtual keyboard but thought he'd give it a try He didn't like the stock HTC keyboard. Ok, so we'll try swype. Nope, not for him. Ok, Swiftkey. That's good stuff. Now he's happy as a clam and typing much, much more quickly.

Edit: He still likes the stupid nipples on his Lenovos. Can't win 'em all. But seriously, hardware keyboards and the Lenovo nipples are a product of a certain tech generation, prior to about 2005, and it makes sense that some people would stick with it, but there's a reason trackpads and touchscreens are on top.

I love the stupid trackpoint too. I agree that newer generation prefer the touchpad, but I assert it's because they never worked solo with no mouse on standby and had an opportunity to try alternatives. IBM made the best track-point bar none. There were players from Toshiba, Winbook, Compaq, and yes even HP.

Notice how you can still get trackpoints from business oriented models from Dell and HP at a premium?

Therefore:
    What is the reason most ice cream you buy nowadays is 1.75 qt instead of a half-gallon?
    Notice that Orange juice is now 59oz instead of 64oz?

It's not because consumers really want less, it's because that is what is being slyly shoved down our throats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I was in an AT&T store today, in NYC. I did notice all the employees had the Infuse 4g T-shirts on; However they did have the Veer on display and I played around with it for 15 minutes or so. I was pleasantly surprised with it, you really can't appreciate how small & light it is until you play with it. After using it in that short period of time, my Pre 2 felt huge. I would say this phone is ideal for people who carry multiple phones and/or a tablet around; the Veer is light, small, and a very capable smartphone

I was also surprised with my experience in the AT&T store (I've been with Sprint since i got my first cell phone in 2002). The rep I spoke with knew about the Veer & spoke favorably about it, and webOS. I also watched and observed how the reps were handling customers; they actually asked them questions & found out what their wants & needs were rather than just shove an iPhone, or Android phone down their throats. Maybe if more reps are like the folks I met today, the Veer may have a chance at selling well.

This is encouraging to read!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Walked into the ATT store in downtown Portland, Oregon. An employye came up to me, I asked if they had the new HP phone. He walked me over to it where another shopper was checking it out. When I got a chance to check it out he mentioned the the "Palm" rep had given them a run down on the phone. He was pretty knowledgable.

I would buy this phone if it were on Sprint but if I go ATT I walk away with an $85 voice/data plan at the minimum before taxes and an inferior plan.

I saw no marketing in the store, btw.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Went by my local AT&T dealer yesterday. Said that Veer would be setup last night.
    Went by today, not setup. It was in the back, they didn't seem to know what a Touchstone was. It seems to me like they couldn't care less about the Veer.
    Last edited by TomD; 05/16/2011 at 12:59 PM.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    I can't help but shake my head at all the armchair marketing experts this community has.
    I'm not an armchair marketing expert ... I'm a marketing professional. I own my own Social Media/Public Relations firm and service a half dozen clients.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Hey JkPritchard and TomD, feel free to post your ATT
    experience in the Rate your AT&T Store thread, would be good to get a decent sense of what is happening in the stores in various regions.
    thanks!
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...tore-veer.html
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
    OK, everybody, get this: webOS roundup just posted a story about the Veer selling on Amazon.com for $49.99 OFF CONTRACT.

I just ordered one and nowhere does it give you a place to even purchase a contract. This can't be true! Here is the amazon link:

Amazon.com: HP Veer 4G webOS Phone, Black (AT&T): Cell Phones & Accessories

This is just nuts, but if it goes through, I'm happy with that price to check it out.
    Says 349 if you choose phone only
    HP doesn't need a wildly successful phone (or tablet) to remain a successful, profitable company.
    This still makes them look inept concerning mobile. It makes them look like they are indeed better off sticking to laptops and printers, and maybe servers.

I'm not an marketing expert but I know enough - HP should pay AT&T better device position in some of selected stores, selected by store size or location. It looks they did but in small number of stores - because some of posters here sad they saw it on display but majority sad it was in back room. HP should brand white edition Veer with Beats audio logo instead HP logo, and put Veer/Beats specific music player app. HP had to hire few of younger Hollywood actors for short clips field with card metaphore, gesture swipes etc. Aggressive campaign should started from mid April and to intensify gradually till launch day. Problem is, that costs some serious money which they are not willing to invest in Veer. But, it is not investment in Veer, it's investment in WebOS which will never sell by itself without serious (hundreds of millions) financial marketing push.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    I love the stupid trackpoint too. I agree that newer generation prefer the touchpad, but I assert it's because they never worked solo with no mouse on standby and had an opportunity to try alternatives. IBM made the best track-point bar none. There were players from Toshiba, Winbook, Compaq, and yes even HP.
    I still use a lenovo today (thinkpad 400s) and much prefer the trackpoint... I disabled the touchpad after brushing it by accident a few times and whenever anyone else uses it they start going on about the touchpad not working and I have to re-enable (part of the reason I hate the touchpad is I often hit it by accident while typing which wipes out text as I'm typing it). I still keep a mouse with me at all times but when I can't use it its trackpoint all the way...
    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    I can't help but shake my head at all the armchair marketing experts this community has.
    Why not? We've got armchairs for everything. App devs, journalists, bloggers, helpers, software experts, credit counselors, you name it. Welcome to the forums.

If you need cooking tips, i'm sure we've got an armchair for that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If you think about it, HP might actually do less to advertise their smartphones than Palm did. For a couple of years, there, Palm was looking for a home run and burning through the last of their cash with their two or three products while a much larger and more diversified company can have a throw-it-against-the-wall-and-see-if-it-sticks strategy. Think of how long they carried around the iPaq with little to no marketing.
    Good point. If you think about it, big HP (not HP-Palm) probably cares very little whether the Veer is successful or not, though I don't believe we've seen the last of their Veer-specific marketing, and if reports of build quality are correct, it sounds as though significant investment has gone into design and production. Plus it's being offered at an attractive price point.

However, webOS as a whole is a big part of HP's strategy going forward, in a way that the iPaq could never have claimed or even considered attempting to claim. So mark my words, there absolutely will be more marketing of webOS products at some point, and I expect an enormous effort surrounding the Touchpad, which some people at HP probably see as a critical part of their business in the near future.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    The AT&T dealer I talked to said there's a launch party/training event next weekend (or thereabouts) in NYC. I'm thinking this is a soft launch, maybe to shake out some bugs in the Veer's version of webOS, before they really start advertising/distributing.

Additionally, they may be waiting until all three new devices are out before they hit everyone with a blitz.
    HP is really blowing it. The Veer shouldn't have been released but now that it is out HP has no advertising. This does not bode well for the Pre 3 launch. Between the crap keyboard on my Pre+, failure to get 2.0 without hacking my phone, the Flash debacle, and lack of apps I doubt I would consider the Pre 3 unless it was free. Even then I have reservations cause WebOS is not taking off. The iPhone 5 is looking more and more like my next phone. Sorry HP and Palm. You did everything wrong to drive away the few loyalists you had.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    ...I'm thinking this is a soft launch, maybe to shake out some bugs in the Veer's version of webOS, before they really start advertising/distributing...
    I wonder what HP has in mind to shake out the bugs in their marketing department?
    tim
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    The AT&T dealer I talked to said there's a launch party/training event next weekend (or thereabouts) in NYC. I'm thinking this is a soft launch, maybe to shake out some bugs in the Veer's version of webOS, before they really start advertising/distributing.

Additionally, they may be waiting until all three new devices are out before they hit everyone with a blitz.
    Lets hope they can shake out the bugs of not much inventory being moved due to both too many dealers and much of the public being in the dark about what this phone is.

HP started Veer sales mid May, and they are planning to inform AT&T's and BestBuy's staff about its existence from TV commercials later on - somewhere in summer, when Pre3 and TP are released? Is that what mr. Kerris is trying to explain?
    Now serious - informing resellers staff about inventory in their back room maybe isn't HP's job, but it is HP's biggest interest and cant be treated as marketing. It is basic thing to do, and it is basic part of any product launch. HP can postpone nation wide marketing campaign of webos devices till P3 and TP are not ready for shelves, but leaving Veer launch without trade marketing materials, and basic employee training is unprofessional. Really, how come so many reps don't know about Veer's existence on the launch day? HP also have right to openly protest to AT&T and BestBuy for negligence.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast