Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Should AT&T or carriers in general spend marketing money on pushing the underdog, or should they just follow the rainbow to get to that big pot of gold?
    Honestly, what would you do?

Sell ice cold mojitos or Tibetan yak milk?
    If AT&T doesn't want to throw money at the Veer, where's HP?

Also, who paid for or sponsored the Infuse t-shirts? I'm betting Samsung had a hand in it. Strangely though, even the Infuse doesn't show up on the front page of the wireless shop website. Let alone the Veer.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    here is their angle:

Veer is the new RAZR.
    They wish. RAZR broke all records.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I imagine they'll market heavily on the TouchPad, which is one of those devices that, in a way, advertises the Veer & Pre3.

Realistically, the Veer isn't all that desirable to most people... yet.

Remember that HPalm directly said they would not rush into things.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richc3 View Post
    I imagine they'll market heavily on the TouchPad, which is one of those devices that, in a way, advertises the Veer & Pre3.

Realistically, the Veer isn't all that desirable to most people... yet.

Remember that HPalm directly said they would not rush into things.
    So, again, WHY LAUNCH TODAY????????????????????
    tim
    I don't care about any kind of t-shirt.

What's disturbing me just moderately is the fact some people on this forum act like HP stole their baby and sold it to gypsies.
    And are giving a multi billion dollar company marketing advice like they need it.
    People need to take a step back and look at themselves from the outside. It's quite an hilarious spectacle.
    What's disturbing is that this multi billion dollar company is performing like it needs advice from a fan forum.

It is quite hilarious though.
    Perhaps after it was clear they were going to be competing with (and overshadowed by) another launch day phone, HP decided to pull things back for a week or so.

Just trying to be positive

Sent from my Evo - so there!
    It is the Veer, I can't say I expected much. Here's to hoping the Pre3/TouchPad launch go off much smoother.
    Last edited by zefyx; 05/17/2011 at 03:29 PM.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I can't help but shake my head at all the armchair marketing experts this community has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    here is their angle:

Veer is the new RAZR.
    I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if that really is the plan and can happen, actually.

One of THE biggest problem right now is that the average person has NO CLUE what webOS is or why it's awesome. To make it worse, the average person also doesn't care to know about webOS either, because all they hear from their friends and family and coworkers are iPhones and Android. And just when you think it can't get any worse, it does. The salespeople are apathetic and sometimes downright antagonistic toward webOS.

So to recap the hurdles that HPalm has to overcome:

1) Awareness: I trust that HPalm will have a media blitz on the way, but I am concerned about execution. HP's track-record of good & memorable campaign has been hit and miss. The latest one is bleh, but at least it's better than Palm's disastrous high-concept campaign. The campaign has to be aligned with the product, which itself is in a state of grand ideas that are not properly and/or fully realized. I'm going to be harsh on the next two points, so this one will slide. Why? Because no amount of marketing will make a badly executed product a success (generalization I know, but it gets the point across).

2) Apathy: As I've stated before, HPalm has been too quiet in letting others take credit and in some cases out-market their own innovations. The average person is apathetic about webOS because they can't see or understand what's so special about it. Many of the innovations have been duplicated by other OSes since webOS came out. It's not enough to just continue getting a good product out. If anything, now is the time to challenge the internal team to really push it and create something that they themselves would want to use. WebOS cannot succeed if the people working on it simply treat it as just another product within the gigantic HP products-sphere. How many people do you know that's passionate about their HP anything?

3) Antagonistic: It's an all-out ******-war out there sometimes. The reality is that salespeople aren't paid much for the amount of information that they have to keep up with, and all the rude customers they have to deal with. So it's not too surprising that they tend to favor the products that sells well. It's a vicious cycle. If I were HPalm I would spend the money to recruit people from these very forums to train/evangelize webOS at every opportunity. Just listen to all the horror stories of clueless salespeople with no information or even misinformation. That's not going to help webOS. I know that there are job postings for this very role, but this may very well be a numbers game. HPalm, you have an enthusiastic of very dedicated and very knowledgable evangelists in these forums... reach out to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    What's disturbing is that this multi billion dollar company is performing like it needs advice from a fan forum.

It is quite hilarious though.
    You're right and the Guy from Nam is right. It's hilarious from both sides of the equation. I'm sure Samsung partnered with AT&T to have the reps wear Infuse shirts and Samsung likely paid for it. I said it before, but it's the little touches that count. I don't know how closely HP partnered with AT&T on the Veer launch, but making sure that the store clerks knew that the phone was coming would have been a good start.

HP can launch a massive ad campaign, but if they don't ensure that their carrier partners do right by their products no amount of advertising will matter.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    I can't help but shake my head at all the armchair marketing experts this community has.
    Someone has to try. Believing HP has some top secret plan is rather na
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmpdx View Post
    Someone has to try. Believing HP has some top secret plan is rather na
    Naive
    I don't want the Veer even if someone gave me one..i wouls spit on it and then I would take it home....OK† Ok..Ok I want one..but am glad that there's more WebOs phones on the market..i have a pixi on standby to handle my pre-'s death..it wouln't be bad having a Veer as a backup...wating on a pre2 for Two hundred dollars to tie me over...a year from now when WebOs becomes the new world order and my Iphone friends are bowing at my feet...ok trapster got me home and my pre saved the day....thanks for reading my rant
    I don't care about any kind of t-shirt.

What's disturbing me just moderately is the fact some people on this forum act like HP stole their baby and sold it to gypsies.
    And are giving a multi billion dollar company marketing advice like they need it.
    People need to take a step back and look at themselves from the outside. It's quite an hilarious spectacle.
    Multi million or billion dollar companies are still made up of people. The size of a company has little to do with its marketing abilities, as we've seen demonstrated with Palm.

So, I wouldn't be so harsh on the people on these forums providing advice to HP. After all, I'm on of them ;-) and I'm great because my mother says so. LOL. But seriously, though, major companies produce terrible marketing campaigns all the time. Ex: Palm's first webOS campaign, Microsoft's PC's are cheaper campaign, etc.

And lastly, don't rule out the possibility that some of these so-called armchair quarterbacks giving advice are actually in the biz and know what they're talking about. I'm just sayin'
    Oh...i don't mind working at a sprint store tending to a Pre3 display grabbing some droidheads by the neck and open there minds
    "Hello, you would like the HP Touchpad?"

"OK, I can help you with that."

"We can also offer a free companion phone, the Veer, which works well in tandem with the Touchpad."

"Let me show you how the two work together."

Sales person goes on to demonstrate the webos features.

"I can also move your contact/calendar info off that pesky Android."
    alright I don't know much...in fact I just learnd that the pre has an alarm clock...but spending all my time with installing preware..patches..Ube and Govnah...what would I do without my Pre...iuse my pre..for all my dailyneeds...Calendar app keeps me sane..nevermind...night all
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I think they will go all out on the touchpad, but most likely focus on enterprise users vs the rest of the spectra. Well regardless of what happens webOS is still a pleasure to use.
    hate to say it but why people put so much trust and actually thinking the retail people are knowledgeable? I'm not knocking on people directly.. there are quite some good sales reps for retail stores in the world, but on an overall average, i mean, it's retail.

a lot stems down from their management. retail reps aren't the most knowledgeable so if the manager neglects to do his job properly, how on earth or store reps supposed to do their job?

luckily i don't live in the usa. if i did, and i had some of these experiences of reps trying to toss an android down my throat i'd probably end up punching them in the face.
    I don't give a squat about the knowledge of a retail sales person. I have never in my entire life walked into a store, and bought something based on what knowledge the sales person provided. I either decide on my own at the spot (which is rare, very rare), Or I walk in KNOWING what I want to buy (95% of the time).

So in this case, I wanted to walk in, sign the contract, pay the taxes, grab my phone and come home. Didn't happen.