Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    See, now you got me ticked off. You're welcomed to come here and post just like everyone else, and I give you some attention for being a past Pre user and WebOS fan. But making blanket statemnets like "no one wants physical keyboards" just shows that you really think the only thing that counts and is correct is your own opinion. I agree with you that plenty of women want the bigger phones (my sister has an Evo) and it's actually easier for them to carry bigger phones b/c they carry purses, but don't automatically assume everyone wants a slab and a gargantuan screen. I for one like the size of my Pre- and wish that more manufacturers make phones in similar size that are considered top of the line, not cheap or mid-level ones.

Remember, many people assume no one wants touchpoint (the nipple) on laptops and I've heard some reviewers (like CNET) make comments that they don't understand why touchpoint is included on certain laptops. B/c there are ppl (and many of them) that like it. You can't make blanket almightly statements like yours b/c that just proves you're wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    No, but you can say the industry is trending (heavily and quickly) towards virtual keyboards and larger displays and be right because that's what customers are buying.
    Exactly. My dad was loath to go from a hardware keyboard to a virtual keyboard but thought he'd give it a try He didn't like the stock HTC keyboard. Ok, so we'll try swype. Nope, not for him. Ok, Swiftkey. That's good stuff. Now he's happy as a clam and typing much, much more quickly.

Edit: He still likes the stupid nipples on his Lenovos. Can't win 'em all. But seriously, hardware keyboards and the Lenovo nipples are a product of a certain tech generation, prior to about 2005, and it makes sense that some people would stick with it, but there's a reason trackpads and touchscreens are on top.
    I wanted to see one first hand, but my BB didn't get any today

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I couldn't be more disappointed with the reports I'm hearing about the launch of the Veer. I didn't expect people to be lining up outside the door waiting for it this morning, or even having the phone selling out at stores. I think we can all agree that it's a bit of a niche phone. HOWEVER, the reports people are posting about AT&T and Best Buy store associates not even being aware of the phone is extremely disappointing to say the least. If webOS is ever going to get to the next level, HP needs to at the very least have the clout to push its retailers into making sure their employees are educated about the product, and the stores actually HAVE the product on launch day!

I'm going to stick with a webOS phone because I just like the way they work, but I've been thinking more and more about skipping the Touchstone and instead buying an iPad2. I was going to hold off to see what HP could do to blow out the launch of the Touchpad, but I no longer have confidence that they can actually do it.
    Geez, everyone thinks every launch has to be "iPhone" - like in order to be successful.

Look, lets be pragmatic here.

The Veer isn't meant for most smartphone users - its meant for a minority of current users, and for those featurephone users who don't like the large formfactors of the current smartphones - I would think that an ad campaign to those potential customers will be more of a part of a much larger overall WebOS ad campaign to come...

Like, when the TP and Pre3 are announced for sale, and you get MUCH more bang for your advertising bucks! ....

Think about it... its a whole new ecosystem for the mobile era - this is what Apotheker has been talking about - they will all be able to work together "Everybody on"... remember?

An ad campaign that boasts about all of the form factors available, NOW, and ready to work with one another to give the user that total experience would be a very wel thought out marketting strategy, I believe - we have about a month + to go..

Until then, the AT&T stores will stock them, the sales staff will learn all about them, they'll see the potential customers for them, and, perhaps even join in on the big "Push" when the time is right.

So, the bottom line is, if you want one, you can have one, at what appears to be a reasonable price, either on or off contract, through AT&T.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    So, the bottom line is, if you want one, you can have one, at what appears to be a reasonable price, either on or off contract, through AT&T.
    Today's batch of posts seem to indicate that isn't the case.
    I went to a BestBuy, and they had never heard of it, but then offered to order it for me through bestbuy.com. So instead I went to an AT&T store. The staff knew about it, had a nice display up, and were very helpful. They did not seem to know anything about the Pre3, though. I think HP is planning one big push once all the pieces are in place. I'm not worried about it. Plus, now my wife will look cool for already owning a Veer before the masses know about it.
    Yeah, I too expect their push to be when the touchpad is out. From there it will be easy to demo the interconnectivity of devices and all that fun stuff
    Then why sell the Veer now if you're not going to push it? People do not know the Veer like they do Android or iPhone. You have to sell this phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I walked into a Best Buy mobile store and they never heard of the Veer. They were surprised that it was released today.

I then walked down the mall to the AT&T store and they also have not heard of the Veer. One guy said 'Oh you mean that little funny phone. We don't have those. They are not released until later'. I called them idiots and walked out.

HP is in trouble.
    Wife has Pixi and I have original Pre on Sprint, we are awaiting to see who gets the Touchpad and Pre 3, but we just left At&t and here is my observation:

The Veer is a lil SWEET device!

The Good
    Keyboard - VERY easy to type on and you will get use to it in no time, just feels good.

Slider- Wow is all I can say. it is just nice, reminds me of my Blackberry Torch (work phone), the fact the slider is straight without the curve of original Pres', but actually feels better in my hand than my Torch in my opinion.

Very responsive and fast, a lot packed into a small phone.

The Bad
    It was stuck between a couple Android & Window phones and there isnt anything to let you know the phone is even in the store, so you gotta ask for it, or it must catch your attention while walking around checking out phones.

I its been said the Pixi and Veer's screen are the same size, but the Pixi seems to have slightly more real-estate than the Veer.

In conclusion, I REALLY like the lil BEAST, but will await the Pre 3 and hopefully Sprint gets a version of the Veer soon so my wife can get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Then why sell the Veer now if you're not going to push it? People do not know the Veer like they do Android or iPhone. You have to sell this phone.
    I couldnt agree with you more. Ive heard you say it on other threads, when you have a product on the market for sale... you must SELL it... not wait to sell it later..

Hahah just thinking what Rchard Kerris saying we will start pushing to sell it a few weeks from now is just silly
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    You know what this really ****ed me off. Even though I'm on sprint and plan on getting pre 3 I wanted to check out the ever so I went to the mall...all the att and best buy mobile stored made sure they had the infuse on display but none had the veer or even knew when it was coming..all the att employees even had infuse 4g shirts...smh if hp wants webos to have the slimest chance then they need to at least push for the phone to be out on its release date...seriously ***

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Went to the biggest AT&T store in my area (at the Mall). they had no display, and only two in the back room. I purchased one (had to ask someone), don't know if they ever sold the other!
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Yeah, I too expect their push to be when the touchpad is out. From there it will be easy to demo the interconnectivity of devices and all that fun stuff
    i agree the 'push' will come with the TP, but that doesnt mean the Veer launch had to be as awful as it was. Low sales is one thing, lack of any knowledge or care is another.
    Concerning those Infuse t-shirts I've been reading about(I didn't go to my local store to check), HP should have paid for AT&T to not derail Veer's release. There was a post that got locked but the guy was right on the money. Releasing the same day as a flagship phone? It's obvious that Infuse is now the AT&T flagship Android. Veer is a niche phone, it needs it's own spotlight.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    As I said, the staff at the AT&T store I went to knew all about it. I think this approach will be fine. As many have noted, not all stores are as up to speed as the one I went to this morning. If they are going to be slow on this, let them be slow with the Veer, so that they actually know what webOS is when the Touchpad arrives.
    You need to get people excited. What I'm reading is AT&T has no problem getting people hyped over... the Infuse. You have to ask about the Veer to get them to show it, right? They weren't wearing Veer t-shirts, I'm betting. Samsung wins, HP fails. The general public buys what they see and know, not niche products with not enough visibility.

People, it is what it is. Buy the Veer or tell others and stop loosing rest and/or driving yourselves insane....lol.

Like many here, I am not sure of HP's angle with the Veer, wish I knew and hope to see an all out campaign blitz within a week, since they may have chosen to hold off knowing that At&t would push the Infuse for a couple days.

Since the big bang will be the Touchpad and Pre 3, I will reserve my disappointment until then...IF those releases are like the 1st day of the Veer.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 05/15/2011 at 04:52 PM.
    here is their angle:

Veer is the new RAZR.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Should AT&T or carriers in general spend marketing money on pushing the underdog, or should they just follow the rainbow to get to that big pot of gold?
    Honestly, what would you do?

Sell ice cold mojitos or Tibetan yak milk?
    I agree. My point of contention is the notion that HP could have done more. Of course I am saying this without any knowledge of what actually happened behind the scenes, but I was hoping for HP to use it's 'size and scale.'

Maybe that means hiring people (as they are apparently doing for the TP) to go to flagship AT&T stores and show people about the Veer.

The fact that the majority of AT&T and Best Buy stores did not have on floor knowledge of the phone means this was a failed launch. I'm not asking for fireworks, but if someone says "I'd like to buy the Veer" (small minority) they should at least be welcomed by "great, let me show you the device" as opposed to "I'm sorry, we don't carry that"