Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    Two best buy and AT&T store later. I still was not able to locate a Veer.

Yah, those that actually know about the device and want it, can't get it. If I could get it, I would have bought it today. I have 5 eligible lines.

Now, I'd rather not waste any lines on this phone, I no longer want it. This is how you lose a customer HP. I would understand if it was popular and was sold out but there's no sign of it being on sale at all.

Does anyone on this forum get one at all?
    That's just sad. I was just out to see one as a possible replacement for my Pixi Plus. Wasn't buying one today. Came away with the exact same feeling as you, though. This has me SO sour, I might just become a sheep instead of fighting for a company that won't fight for themselves.
    tim
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This message from Kerris implies that there are supply issues preventing a full retail launch.
    You know who you sound like, Mr. Kerris? Our lovely US airlines. They will push a plane full of paying customers away from the gate, even though they know the plane won't be cleared for takeoff for quite awhile. They can count it as an "on-time" departure, even though it really didn't depart; it just left the gate.

Having a phone launch, when it's (1) not available, (2) not known, and (3) not important? That's OK with you; at least we launched "on-time"!!!
    tim
    Perhaps they want to get the supply channels fully stocked and all the people fully trained before turning up the hype. I guess will really know what they are up to when the TouchPad and Pre 3 come out later.
    This message from Kerris implies that there are supply issues preventing a full retail launch.
    Because if no supply issue, HP would have led their webOS relaunch with the tiny Veer rather than the more powerful devices?
    More logical to assume they are leading with the TouchPad and the advertising will start in a few weeks for a bundled package of TouchPad and Veer (and they did good planning to have the Veer already in stores so they do not have two new products that start at the same time)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    Two best buy and AT&T store later. I still was not able to locate a Veer.

Yah, those that actually know about the device and want it, can't get it. If I could get it, I would have bought it today. I have 5 eligible lines.

Now, I'd rather not waste any lines on this phone, I no longer want it. This is how you lose a customer HP. I would understand if it was popular and was sold out but there's no sign of it being on sale at all.

Does anyone on this forum get one at all?
    Just got one at AT&T store. They didn't have any out, but when I asked the salesperson actually got kind of excited and said "Let me go grab one, I've been wanting to take one out and play with it". So he did, and a couple other employees came over to check it out too. All remarking how small it was. Some of the employees had heard it was coming, some hadn't.

Anyway, I ended up buying the only one they had for sale, the other was the display model. The salesperson said several times that he liked how small it was, but that it wasn't for him. He pulled out the monstrous Infuse he had in his pocket every time he said that. As I was leaving he said something like "I don't know much about the Palm phones, but everyone I know who has one loves them".

Oh, also one of the other salespeople managed to damage the back cover trying to take it off to put the SIM in the display model. There was a rip right near the magnetic attachment. I had to tell them that the battery is not removable and the sim goes in the door on top. Luckily they tried on the display and not on the one I was going to buy.

So anyway, they seemed excited about how small it was but more in a "That's cool" way than a "I want it and I want to sell it to people" way. But nobody suggested that it was a bad choice or tried to talk me into anything else.

Oh, and yes every employee was wearing a INFUSE 4G shirt, despite the fact that they didn't have any of those on display either.
    Quote Originally Posted by jalba3 View Post
    I think the Veer has it's own market, and I cant believe that the reviews are bashing the screen size... This is my next's Joshua claimed the screen was just too small. However this phone is aimed for a small size/ form factor. Instead he should have focused on portability and other key features. But w/e. Whats upsetting is that there is no knowledge of this phone. I understand the "want to stock up on supply before heaving marketing" but at least knowledge of existence by Vendors would be appreciative!
    That plan needs work then. The ramp up is suppose to occur before the much talked about launch date. Not after it.

But its clear HP doesn't understand marketing. At least in this market.

Announce it in Feb to release in spring. Say nothing til then. Give a small press release concerning the launch date. Send out the preview phones and foster some reviews. Then do nothing on launch date?

HP's webOS communities (such as they are) are having countdowns awaiting the big day and HP does...nothing? And most of HP's retail partners have no clue. All part of the plan?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I'm at a Best Buy in Chicago's western burbs. Not sure about pricing, but I'm told that the Veer will be available at this location "a week from now," on May 22nd. The two BB employees I spoke with had no idea when the Pre3 was coming out. At least they knew what a Veer was.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    That plan needs work then. The ramp up is suppose to occur before the much talked about launch date. Not after it.

Announce it in Feb to release in spring. Say nothing til then. Give a small press release concerning the launch date. Send out the preview phones and foster some reviews. Then do nothing on launch date?

HP's webOS communities (such as they are) are having countdowns awaiting the big day and HP does...nothing? And most of HP's retail partners have no clue. All part of the plan?
    EXACTLY! Well stated, Cardfan.
    tim
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    I just don't understand why people think there's a market for tiny phones. The Kin 1 was a total failure, even Steve Jobs, after calling the Evo, etc. "Hummers" is realizing they need to go to 4" for the next Iphone.

I see plenty of "chicks" on Evos, Thunderbolts, Galaxy S. They don't want tiny screens or "cute." That market is an imaginary market of masculine origin that assumes that women aren't technologically savvy, which just isn't the case. They want fully featured phones, and let's face it, no one wants physical keyboards anymore except Blackberry diehards.
    Maybe they'll sell a few of these to a few teenagers, but teens are about status symbols, so why would they go for the Veer over an iphone?
    Check out the reaction of the girl on this video of Laptop Mag comparing the Veer to the Infuse. Tell me she doesn't seem way more interested in the Veer. She sure wants "cute".

EDIT: Also, hate the guy always asking "Is it too small?"; I bet he influenced some of the comments with that question.
    Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrewd View Post
    Check out the reaction of the girl on this video of Laptop Mag comparing the Veer to the Infuse. Tell me she doesn't seem way more interested in the Veer. She sure wants "cute".
    All I'm relaying is what I see on planes and the New York subway. I can't speak to a single person in a controlled setting. I can speak to what I see in the real world though. Might be confirmation bias, but I sure don't see to many Kins, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It's just software, nyallj. There's no reason to get riled up about 0s and 1s.
    To be honest, iOS and Android people get riled up too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

I agree. It's a sad state when the people spending their own money on this are doing more to get the word out than the company that is producing the product.

I get that there's a timeline and a 'plan' but that plan is pushing people away.
    Well, it certainly puts in question ideas about how much clout HP has with their retail channels, etc. So much for the percentage of retail shelf space that HP commands in stores like Best Buy. So much for the deep pockets that HP has as one of the largest technology company in the world. One gets a sense that higher-ups at HP aren't that keen on being in the smartphone business.
    This is it. I've said many, many times, HP has no problem shoving ads everywhere for their bread and butter laptops and printers. I got several ads for HP ink and toner replacements last week too, believe it or not.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I'm sorry, I spent 2 days and 3 nights on Endgadget's review trying to lessen the negative impact of some comments by those who obviously never even seen webOS before and come now to a webOS community to see some joy and celebrations and run into the same kind of thing.
    My apologies all around, please.
    You perhaps need to write HP and tell them they are failing miserably in getting their message out, just like Palm did. The webOS faithful need a louder voice.

I stopped by an att store today to check out the veer. they hhad it charged up and out. they had some reasonably nice things to say about it. I think the veer is what it is, and for what it is, its good.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    All I'm relaying is what I see on planes and the New York subway. I can't speak to a single person in a controlled setting. I can speak to what I see in the real world though. Might be confirmation bias, but I sure don't see to many Kins, etc.
    It has nothing to do with gender. If so, I must not have fathered two children! I want small because (a) I carry it in my front pocket and don't want a freaking laptop shoved in there, and (b) I am not addicted to my phone all day long, so I don't need a 4" (or larger) screen.

Back to topic, however. We have plenty of threads about this issue. This thread is discussing the LAUNCH, not the viability of this phone.
    tim
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrewd View Post
    Check out the reaction of the girl on this video of Laptop Mag comparing the Veer to the Infuse. Tell me she doesn't seem way more interested in the Veer. She sure wants "cute". [url= - Samsung Infuse 4G Vs. HP Veer 4G Size Battle[/url]

EDIT: Also, hate the guy always asking "Is it too small?"; I bet he influenced some of the comments with that question.
    the girl in that video didn't want the veer either. She was just being nice and trying to put a positive spin on it like everyone seems to be doing.
    As a current Sprint customer, I went to an ATT store today also. All they had was a dummy unit, and i have to say, its small as hell! I recently upgraded to a HTC Arrive and its not a bad phone, the battery life is amazing, but im still missing some major WebOS features. Im just hoping the battery life on the Veer is about the same.

I was determined, I called ATT and talked to a sales guy. Right now im paying $79.99 450mins with premium data. The rep said if i switch there will be no activation fee, no shipping fee, and only $75 a month for 450mins+unlimited text and 2gb data. Decisions, decisions.
    I just don't understand why people think there's a market for tiny phones. The Kin 1 was a total failure, even Steve Jobs, after calling the Evo, etc. "Hummers" is realizing they need to go to 4" for the next Iphone.

I see plenty of "chicks" on Evos, Thunderbolts, Galaxy S. They don't want tiny screens or "cute." That market is an imaginary market of masculine origin that assumes that women aren't technologically savvy, which just isn't the case. They want fully featured phones, and let's face it, no one wants physical keyboards anymore except Blackberry diehards.
    Maybe they'll sell a few of these to a few teenagers, but teens are about status symbols, so why would they go for the Veer over an iphone?
    See, now you got me ticked off. You're welcomed to come here and post just like everyone else, and I give you some attention for being a past Pre user and WebOS fan. But making blanket statemnets like "no one wants physical keyboards" just shows that you really think the only thing that counts and is correct is your own opinion. I agree with you that plenty of women want the bigger phones (my sister has an Evo) and it's actually easier for them to carry bigger phones b/c they carry purses, but don't automatically assume everyone wants a slab and a gargantuan screen. I for one like the size of my Pre- and wish that more manufacturers make phones in similar size that are considered top of the line, not cheap or mid-level ones.

Remember, many people assume no one wants touchpoint (the nipple) on laptops and I've heard some reviewers (like CNET) make comments that they don't understand why touchpoint is included on certain laptops. B/c there are ppl (and many of them) that like it. You can't make blanket almightly statements like yours b/c that just proves you're wrong.
    No, but you can say the industry is trending (heavily and quickly) towards virtual keyboards and larger displays and be right because that's what customers are buying.