Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Went on the BesyBuy website to order my Veer. While there I decided to check store availability and it says unavailable. I live in Houston, TX so you think it would be somewhere in the city but nothing. I then decided to check the Infuse which also comes out today and it is available everywhere.

How is HP suppose to sell this phone if it isn't available in stores. Most people will not want to order online when they can't even touch the device. C'mon HP. Use the "scale" you talk so much about and push these guys to actually stock your product.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Just wondering, where do you guys live? I mean, if you live in some small midwestern town, it's not all that telling that your reps don't know about the Veer, but if it's in a major city, then yes it's disappointing.

C'mon, man, really? The "small midwestern town" cliche? We gets the internets, even color TV's have been here for a while. My neighbor just got a 3D TV, that thing must be huge! Hope he has enough folding chairs to go all the way around it!

Just giving ya a hard time, but that's like hearing someone around here say "east coast people are so rude!" Cliche is a cliche.

Oh, and the BB here has 10 units. (just not today, )
    I see pandas.
    I'm not surprised, why are any of you? It has been like this since day one.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    I posted this on the PC article about "Who's getting a Veer?", but I thought I'd also share it here:

Just got back from the ATT store. What a GIGANTIC disappointment, from start to finish. I waited in my car for the doors to open at 11:00. (There was no one else waiting.) When the kid finally opens the door, I see all three employees, wearing their cool "Samsung Infuse" T-shirts. I ask him "Where's the Veer?" "HUH? Where's the beer?", he replies. And, he wasn't joking. He had never heard of the phone, had no idea it was from HP, and was being released today. When I pointed out these details to him, he pointed to his shirt and said, "This is the big phone release today!" I simply pointed to the still empty door and said, "Yeah, look at the lines of people waiting to get their hands on it." He had no comment, after that. He then had to search the store to find it. When he finally did, I found the phone not even turned on. I had to go through the startup, only to find there was no profile in the phone, so it wasn't even in a useable state. When I mentioned that it would have been nice if it was at least turned on, he said "Well, this is the first day for it." "How about your Samsung Infuse, which is on it's first day today. Is that one turned on?" "Well, yeah."

I got to see it (in Black, no less), and finally compare it to my Pixi Plus. I could live with this phone, especially if it has the far superior guts of a Pre2. My biggest hangup is that dang magnetic adapter. I just can't see that being strong enough to hold my headphones on in my pocket.

As much as I tried to be positive about this launch, sadly, all the nay-sayers were correct. Another launch disaster for HP/Palm. No one knows about the phone, nor will they, unless they hang out here.
    tim
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Thanks Tim for sharing a real-world experience. How does HP plan on selling these when their first outlet of the new WebOS phones is launched with such a thud?

I don't think they are holding back anything for the Touchpad launch either. Is the thinking that the big launch for the year is the Touchpad and all of a sudden AT&T will get excited about WebOS and tell potential customers they can use it with an unheard of Veer?

I felt al along that HP was marketing the Veer as an update to the Pixi and not to a new target market. I want a Pixi with Veer guts.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Well lets be realistic here. Since when has hp successfully marketed or promoted any of their previous smartphones? All their launches have been very poor and products lackluster. I know we were hoping since their aquisition of palm they would beef it up but obviously they need some help in the marketing dept.
    Tim, thanks for you feedback. You should post your post in the Rate Your ATT Store thread. The experience you had sounds pretty typical. Whether that is HP's fault or ATT's is to be determined, but it feels like HP just dropped the Veer in ATT's lap and said "Here you go. Do you what you like." Did you notice any in store promos? Prolly shouldn't have asked that seeing as how the guy didn't even know where the "beer" was.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Just wondering, where do you guys live? I mean, if you live in some small midwestern town, it's not all that telling that your reps don't know about the Veer, but if it's in a major city, then yes it's disappointing.

rsanchez, it's over. I knew five WebOS developers a year ago. Four have formally quit and moved to other platforms without looking back. The fifth says she's busy on Android projects and does not know what her next WebOS project will be. I also noticed she's now carrying an Evo Shift instead of a Pre2 as her personal phone and some sort of slab as her work phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    Thanks Tim for sharing a real-world experience. How does HP plan on selling these when their first outlet of the new WebOS phones is launched with such a thud?

I don't think they are holding back anything for the Touchpad launch either. Is the thinking that the big launch for the year is the Touchpad and all of a sudden AT&T will get excited about WebOS and tell potential customers they can use it with an unheard of Veer?

I felt al along that HP was marketing the Veer as an update to the Pixi and not to a new target market. I want a Pixi with Veer guts.
    I dont see how the touchpad can even be the big hit they are hoping for. Its nice hardware and the os looks great but webos 3.0 has yet to be formally introduced. If they just set a release date and that's it, is that seriously enough to get people to go buy one? Likely not. First we need to know its features, apps that will be available at launch, this mysterious movie store and music store, and see it running the final version of 3.0 and it needs to be marketed with its big differences from the ipad. I think webos 3.0 os is much slicker and intuitive then IOS ipad, but the ipad has many, many apps, games, and such, has a definitive future, and a browser which is supported much better by more websites. There's just too much more to learn about the touchpad before it can sell well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukel View Post
    Well lets be realistic here. Since when has hp successfully marketed or promoted any of their previous smartphones? All their launches have been very poor and products lackluster. I know we were hoping since their aquisition of palm they would beef it up but obviously they need some help in the marketing dept.
    They don't need help in the marketing department. Just see their computer ads for that. Where they need help is the logistical aspect of a launch. They have a much more robust platform in webOS than they had in their previous phones. However, HP didn't own that system and in a way I can understand their lackluster approach for those previous phones.

However, they know own their own operating system and as such a more well-rounded effort needs to be placed on launching these phones; everything from having ATT and other carriers support the products with knowledgeable reps to ensuring that phones are displayed properly with in store advertisement, to HP having a dedicated webOS section on their website. It's the little things that add up to the big things that make for a successful launch. It seems like HP is missing on some of the little things.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Well, local best buy never even got them in the mail.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    They don't need help in the marketing department. Just see their computer ads for that. Where they need help is the logistical aspect of a launch. They have a much more robust platform in webOS than they had in their previous phones. However, HP didn't own that system and in a way I can understand their lackluster approach for those previous phones.

However, they know own their own operating system and as such a more well-rounded effort needs to be placed on launching these phones; everything from having ATT and other carriers support the products with knowledgeable reps to ensuring that phones are displayed properly with in store advertisement, to HP having a dedicated webOS section on their website. It's the little things that add up to the big things that make for a successful launch. It seems like HP is missing on some of the little things.
    Well in their smartphone marketing dept then. Yeah was hoping since they now have the wonderful webos they would step up their game on smartphone marketing but theres really no excuses for their weak precsense in the smartphone game. None of the oem's own android yet they manage to do hugely successful marketing campaigns for their android devices. Hopefully they will go all out for the pre 3 ad campaign cuz the only thing thats gonna make it successful is if they spend a small fortune on advertising like Verizon/Motorola did on the Droid. Otherwise iOS and Android are just too far ahead.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I walked into a AT&T store today and not to much surprise they were all wearing Samsung Infuse 4G shirts... The receptionist greeted me and offered to assist me. I asked about the Veer, yet she claimed that they "don't carry a phone by that name" I insisted and she goes and asks someone in the back and comes out several moments later. Her reply was "Sorry, but we're not putting it out today..."

I am dumbfounded... I remember on AT&T's launch of the Pre +, I saw a Palm representative in the store insuring the device was properly set up for display and customers can actually browse the device. This time there was nothing... Maybe because it was on a Sunday who knows...

Best Buy also did claim that they were not carrying it in stores today. I asked them when, and the guy was not sure but to check back tomorrow.

Overall I believe that not having the phone at least for display or in a box for purchase is a failure. I understand the current "thing" is android and it sells, but at least make sure the device is in stores ready for purchase. HP should take note of this. AT&T is just trying to profit as much as they can with Android.

/end Rant
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    Well, local best buy never even got them in the mail.
    Did you actually call them or just look online? I've been checking online and sure enough all stores say unavailable for in store pickup.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    No need to end rant. So many precentral posters were naysayers as to HP's ineptness to do things right this time. I say it's time to gloat because HP didn't listen to current Pre/Pixi owners.
  16. TJB
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    You would think it would be in the Best Buy weekly ad that came out today. But then again I am from a small mid-western town (Chicago)
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Tim, thanks for you feedback. You should post your post in the Rate Your ATT Store thread. The experience you had sounds pretty typical. Whether that is HP's fault or ATT's is to be determined, but it feels like HP just dropped the Veer in ATT's lap and said "Here you go. Do you what you like." Did you notice any in store promos? Prolly shouldn't have asked that seeing as how the guy didn't even know where the "beer" was.
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...93#post2962793

Here's the thread. If you put the address of the store, it might help HP/Palm contact them to fix the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jalba3 View Post
    I walked into a AT&T store today and not to much surprise they were all wearing Samsung Infuse 4G shirts... The receptionist greeted me and offered to assist me. I asked about the Veer, yet she claimed that they "don't carry a phone by that name" I insisted and she goes and asks someone in the back and comes out several moments later. Her reply was "Sorry, but we're not putting it out today..."

I am dumbfounded... I remember on AT&T's launch of the Pre +, I saw a Palm representative in the store insuring the device was properly set up for display and customers can actually browse the device. This time there was nothing... Maybe because it was on a Sunday who knows...

Best Buy also did claim that they were not carrying it in stores today. I asked them when, and the guy was not sure but to check back tomorrow.

Overall I believe that not having the phone at least for display or in a box for purchase is a failure. I understand the current "thing" is android and it sells, but at least make sure the device is in stores ready for purchase. HP should take note of this. AT&T is just trying to profit as much as they can with Android.

/end Rant
    We have a Rate your ATT store thread now. Post your story and include the address of the store. Early feedback like this is good stuff, especially as the marketing push does not yet seem to be launched (probably will be in conjunction with the TouchPad).

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...tore-veer.html

Edit: Post from Palm's VP Kerris below is encouraging about advertising push coming and shows also desire to hear about your experiences:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...ml#post2962740
    Somehow HP's handling of the launch seems even weaker than Palm's attempts.

I don't get it. Surely they want this to succeed and pave the way for touchpad and Pre also becoming a hit?

Don't tell me that they will somehow totally rejuvenate their marketing soon..in time for the big launches?
    it's pretty obvious the veer won't sell even if they wear veer shirts. The veer is tiny just like the number of customers that want a tiny smartphone. Don't hate on At&t for knowing going smaller was a bad idea. Cause yea the pre and pre 2 are way to big.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast