webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Check in here with your Veer!
Check in here with your Veer!
Like Tree16Likes

Old 05/15/2011, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My wife bought her Veer today, and we are both extremely impressed. The keyboard is fantastic, the screen size is good for most of the activities she wants, and it is blazingly fast. I'm holding out for the Pre3, but I was sorely tempted in the store once I held the Veer. I'll still wait for the Pre3, just to compare my options, but I could happily end up owning a Veer. It won't make the big screen, multi-media folks happy, but if you want a solid, pocketable, full featured smart phone, the Veer is a great option.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 05/15/2011, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

congratulations, sounds really good
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2011, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
dec

awesome . . . pls keep us posted of anything you've discovered verse the talking heads reviews ~
dec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2011, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ordered online today, will post back when it arrives...

UPDATE:
Bah, amazon cancelled my order, as I expected it would. Guess I'll be waiting for SPre3 after all.
Old 05/15/2011, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Update: google maps opens almost immediately, with an accurate GPS fix. What a contrast with my pre- !
Old 05/15/2011, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

After everyone gets settled in with their new veers, let us know about the battery life please
Trader05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2011, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Can one of you please check the app "Switcharoo" by boydell in preware to see if it works? Thx.

Get your virtual onscreen keyboard themes & installation instructions here

Free 2GB of online storage, with automatic synching between multiple devices, on Dropbox

Last edited by un_designer; 05/15/2011 at 07:21 PM.
un_designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2011, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Update: google maps opens almost immediately, with an accurate GPS fix. What a contrast with my pre- !
wow wonder what they did. What version is it?
Old 05/15/2011, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
Its most likely the faster internet speeds. The version should be the same.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2011, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
Yeah, no idea why it was so fast. A follow-up test on my Pre- was pretty fast too, maybe 7 seconds. But the Veer was 2 seconds at most. I'm thinking the Veer just manages the data more efficiently?
Old 05/15/2011, 10:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
Can one of you please check the app "Switcharoo" by boydell in preware to see if it works? Thx.
I will, can you remind me how to get preware on my veer?
DukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2011, 10:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

put it in dev mode. Type webos20090606 and open the app to turn it on.

then use the preware installer or quickinstall to put preware on the phone.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2011, 01:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
put it in dev mode. Type webos20090606 and open the app to turn it on.

then use the preware installer or quickinstall to put preware on the phone.
Does it matter what version of preware or installer etc i have to use?
Old 05/16/2011, 08:11 AM   #14 (permalink)

Bought mine yesterday at an AT&T authorized retailer (after trying Best Buy, who didn't have any and didn't even know what it was). The AT&T dealer had to check, as none of their people really knew anything about it. They had one in stock, a black one, and I snapped it up!

I'm on a ferry right now, and tried watching the launch of shuttle Endeavor on my laptop tethered to my Evo. Data speeds were too slow, so I went to Nasa.gov on my Veer and watched the launch there - streamed flawlessly in the browser!! Great performance.
VCI_Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by crucian4, HenryAlan
Old 05/16/2011, 08:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
Bought mine yesterday at an AT&T authorized retailer (after trying Best Buy, who didn't have any and didn't even know what it was). The AT&T dealer had to check, as none of their people really knew anything about it. They had one in stock, a black one, and I snapped it up!

I'm on a ferry right now, and tried watching the launch of shuttle Endeavor on my laptop tethered to my Evo. Data speeds were too slow, so I went to Nasa.gov on my Veer and watched the launch there - streamed flawlessly in the browser!! Great performance.
sweet
Old 05/16/2011, 08:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Yeah, no idea why it was so fast. A follow-up test on my Pre- was pretty fast too, maybe 7 seconds. But the Veer was 2 seconds at most. I'm thinking the Veer just manages the data more efficiently?
They must have also done something at google for webOS. I just tested on my Pre- and it only took 7 seconds. When we ran tests before, I think it took an average close to 20 seconds for those of us w/the Pre-. Big difference. It was so bad, I rarely used it.

Try it w/the new White Pages app--loads in under 1 second for me on my Pre-.
mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2011, 06:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

attended an HP Veer event in Philly last night. Got a Veer for free. First time using a Palm(HP) device since my treo days. then i remembered this site and decided to make my return.

Veer is nice. too small for my big hands. but it is exactly what HP was preaching last night. good for a first time smartphone owner. not one like myself...i shall continue to share my thoughts as i continue to use it
CPcrazyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2011, 06:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly View Post
attended an HP Veer event in Philly last night. Got a Veer for free. First time using a Palm(HP) device since my treo days. then i remembered this site and decided to make my return.

Veer is nice. too small for my big hands. but it is exactly what HP was preaching last night. good for a first time smartphone owner. not one like myself...i shall continue to share my thoughts as i continue to use it
Please do! Could you maybe share your thoughts and info from the event itself (starting with what sort of event it was) in another thread, as well? It's great having some insider info here at P|C.
Old 05/18/2011, 08:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post

Hello fellow Veer 4G owner! I also got the blk Veer on launch day yeah! It is pretty cool having flash support baked into the browser gotta say.
Old 05/18/2011, 09:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukel View Post
Hello fellow Veer 4G owner! I also got the blk Veer on launch day yeah! It is pretty cool having flash support baked into the browser gotta say.
Definitely - especially on good-looking Flash sites like speedtest! Quite futuristic.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0