Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Please do! Could you maybe share your thoughts and info from the event itself (starting with what sort of event it was) in another thread, as well? It's great having some insider info here at P|C.
    the event was held in Philly for Best Buy Mobile and there were a bunch of AT&T and authorized dealers there. a few breakouts highlighting webOS, features, target customers. 3 hours long.

Learned that the device is focused at first time smartphone owners, it was repeated over and over. they also talked alot about the upcoming TouchPad and how they will work together. alot about webOS on new HP printers as well as PCs.

everyone who attended got a free black HP Veer and a HP printer.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Thanks for that summation! Sounds a lot like the events I used to attend when I was "in the biz." Any mention of the Pre3?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Thanks for that summation! Sounds a lot like the events I used to attend when I was "in the biz." Any mention of the Pre3?
    Was actually at the event with CPcrazyfly lol. As far as the Pre3 there wasn't any mention of it except for the fact that it would come out eventually. Main focus was WebOS, Touchpad, Veer, and how touch to share is going to be working for Veer and Touchpad.
    CPcrazyfly is a flashback from the Treo Days!

Let's see: CPcrazyfly last posted on 07/07/2008, and then just posted again on 05/17/2011

Welcome back
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    CPcrazyfly is a flashback from the Treo Days!

Let's see: CPcrazyfly last posted on 07/07/2008, and then just posted again on 05/17/2011

Welcome back
    OG.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Well, I've arranged for a mate of mine in the US to send me a Veer. So give it a couple of weeks and I'll have one to play with.
    got mine yesterday. was too busy playing with it to post about it here (that sounded bad). anyhow, i'm amazed with the power of this phone. there's no slow down... at all... yet. camera pics are ok for those who read to much into the bad reviews (came from the evo's 8mp cam). web browsing is fine (no squinting). however, you do have to double tap to be able to read, but i did that on my evo also.

i installed preware immediately. had problems initially with the phone not being recognized. deleted novacomd, reinstalled, it was recognized. quick install said that installed preware, but never showed up on my phone, so i followed the "installing preware with standalone installer" instructions here: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals. worked perfectly and now using garrett's 3d black glass theme.

loving this little bugger.
    I received my Veer (white) from Best Buy 4 days ago, and have had time to live with it. I was an early adopter of WebOs with the Pre (Sprint), then the Pixi (still Sprint.) For me, form factor, speed, and ease of use (mainly the OS) are the most important features of a smart phone. To my mind, the Blackberry/Centro candy bar w/ qwerty keyboard is the ultimate in form factor, and the Pixi was the finest manifestation. Having to slide up to text, take pictures (to use the physical button), etc. is tedious and unnecessary. Virtual keyboards will likely never evolve enough to satisfy me.

Unfortunately, the Pixi was also buggy, and sluggish. Holding a charge was also a problem- despite having a touchstone at my home and office, the thing drank juice like a baby on steroids. It occasionally dumped power too, for no apparent reason.

About that Veer:

Pros-

THE BATTERY! Holds power like a champ. I never got a full day out of my Pre or Pixi under any circumstances. I have been adding apps, syncing, taking pictures, texting, and talking and rarely go below 50% all day. Much improved.

The Build Quality. Feels very substantial despite being wee. I still miss the candy bar design, and pushing up the face to use the keyboard exposes the screen to my oleo fingertips and smudges (annoying.) But, it snaps into place and back down firmly, and fits my touchstone much more snugly. Unlike the Pixi, and especially the Pre, there is no “feeling” it into place on the charger. It snaps on there hard, thus avoiding the rare accidents where the charger actually PULLED juice from the phone. Also, the thing doesn’t feel like it is going to cleft in twain like the springy, give-y Pre did. You don’t have to treat it as gingerly.

Speaking of design, I notice a lot of people are complaining about the proprietary magnetic charging cable, and the lack of ubiquity. I have to say, as someone who uses the tether only for uploading pictures to my computer, I appreciate not having to pry the little cover bugger off the charger input. The Pre was difficult and the Pixi nigh on impossible to dislodge with my finger or nail. With the Pixi, I was reduced to using a paperclip or toothpick to dislodge it. The magnetic cable end snaps on hard, snugly and works seamlessly. Comes off easily, too. As to the headphone adaptor: If I used ear buds to listen to music or people on the phone, this would be a major pain. What do you do with the thing when you aren’t using it? Leave it hanging on your phone, and hope it doesn’t fall off? Put it in your pocket and try to remember not to wash it? Mine sits in the pretty box it came in, unused, still wrapped, and unneeded.

Speed. This thing rocks my face off, compared to the Pre and especially the Pixi. While I am sometimes only getting marginally faster speeds according to speedtest.net, averaging between 1-4 mbps, the faster processor ensures that my apps load faster and facebook and other sites don’t sit for many loooong seconds “opening.” I left Sprint knowing that they might be getting the Pre3 which has a beast of a processor, but is hobbled to their 3g network. A shame, because Sprint offers a much better deal than the plans offered by AT&T.

Keyboard. For the win! Same clicky, responsively perfect keyboard as the late, lamented Pixi, minimally smaller. I can type like Paganini on a Stradivarius, unlike on the acceptable but gummy Pre keyboard. Best in show, hands down. My hands, speaking of which, are average size, so your speeds may vary.

WebOs 2.whatever. Everything that was great about the OS and more so. Loving the just type feature, and the ability to add/delete from it. You can also disengage the auto-correct which was added to this iteration. It can be a pain, especially when you create shorthand words to text with. The OS is the best thing about this zippy little device and the reason I have come back for thirds. It is elegant, and unlike any other mobile OS, it just works. Everything is the shortest point to what you are trying to do, and there are no wasted steps. And, as a bonus- flash enabled content for the first time. Still working out how to use it, but at least have the ability to do so on this phone.

Cons-

Camera. Pictures and video are adequate to sub-par. Lack of a camera flash is the worst thing about this device and I can’t fathom why it wasn’t included. This means no night time photography when I am out with friends because I won’t carry a phone AND a camera. The phone is supposed to replace the camera, not the reverse.

Bugs. They remain, even if they are less persistent. I have received the “Too Many Cards Open” blast a few times, with no cards opened. Restarting makes this go away, but I shouldn’t have to do it at all. As I type this, I am getting a “No Internet Connection” prompt on my phone. Why? Device or Network? I couldn’t tell you. I am getting plenty of bars, but my phone seems to think I want to connect to a wifi network. Also, facebook sync took 2 days of failure before it ended up happening on its own accord. I know some of the bugs are of the early adopter kind. I know this, but my experience with Palm/HP is that they don’t always go away, but recur. If it’s on occasion, so be it.

AT&T. My plan is more expensive than the comparable one I had with Sprint. It is a trade off for the faster 4g/not really 4g speeds I am getting. Even with the $10 extra for a WiMax device on Sprint, the AT&T plan doesn’t pencil out. And $10 for AT&T Navigation? I rarely used the free Sprint Nav, but it was great to have as a safety net feature. Paying for texting and not part of an unlimited data plan? Why can Sprint do this, but AT&T can’t? Bottom line: I went into this knowingly, but I don’t like the fact this device would be cheaper on another network.

The best features of the phone far outweigh the negatives. No phone is perfect, but this one works for me.
    Last edited by nicemarmot; 05/21/2011 at 02:25 AM.
    geekaren likes this.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Im looking at getting a Veer to replace my company BB for a bit. I really just like the size and need email,music, and speakerphone. Apps arent that important to me as I have a Nook color, netbook, and multiple PCs I can access of I want to do more than that. Assuming that I can do the following I will buy off contract via Amazon for $350:

1. Swap the SIM card from BB to off-contract/unsubsidized Amazon Veer. Looks like this is possible per this post

2. Use Pre-/+ Touchstone for Veer. Looks like I can do that no problem based on this post

3. Add company Exchange server to Veer. I am a bit concerned if Veer will work as my Pre- on Sprint does. We require a device password which I assume is available on Veer but saw ukdocsthis post earlier and am trying to understand further what this means. If Veer functions like sPre- then I am good.
    UPDATE: Per LA6507 in this thread, "Exchange sync works unless your Exchange Server is version 2010 AND your IT Administrator requires mobile devices to have an encrypted file system AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Look$ $around$ $at$ $other$ $phone$ $users$ $on$ $your$ $network$ - $if$ $any$ $of$ $them$ $have$ $iPhones$ $and$ $are$ $getting$ $email$ $on$ $your$ $corporate$ $Exchange$ $Server$, $You$ $can$ $too$.&$quot$;

4. Locate a place to buy additional adapters in case I lose the ones that come with the Veer. So far I havent been successful finding them which concerns me that I would be SOL if the supplied ones are lost> UPDATED UPDATE: I headphone adapter is in stock while magnetic charging cable is out of stock but available here from the HP Site.
    Last edited by WarHorn79; 05/25/2011 at 03:48 AM. Reason: additional info found
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Purchased my Veer on May 18 but I wanted to settle in with it a little bit before I started posting. So far so good. The hardware is solid, and WebOS - though it has some quirks - is mostly a dream.

Early thoughts from an outsider's perspective:

-The Veer is smooth and fast. Have not had so much as a hiccup with cards & multitasking.

-As a new user, WebOS is pretty intuitive once you understand / notice the presence of the gesture pad. Flicking cards and status updates away is a delightfully tactile experience.

-Hardware as I mentioned is solid; the whole device just feels properly made. The keyboard is... merely average, though I would say its shortcomings all come from the lack of space (can't really be helped) rather than poor materials or design. It is designed well. The keys have a satisfying "click."

-I love the open nature of the device and the OS, though it does suffer from lack of support. But hey, that's what I get for being an early adopter (of Veer, not WebOS obviously).

-I'm also seeing a strong homebrew community, which is awesome, but the documentation is often outdated or missing. Hopefully that will improve, and the compatible apps (official AND homebrew) will start trickling in pretty soon!

-WebOS is oddly missing all sorts of customization for ringtones, vibration, and alerts, at least that I have found. The options essentially boil down to "pick ring or vibrate" and "pick ringtone." Can anyone shed any light here? I really hope there are more options tucked away somewhere.

-On the bright side I will say the ringer switch is perfect. Does one thing and does it well.

-Synergy has been hit and miss, but mostly hit. Gmail and Facebook contacts, calendar, etc. synced perfectly and without frustration. On the other hand, I have not been able to sync another one of my e-mail accounts, even with manual settings and even though it uses a Gmail / Google Apps backend. I will look further into this.

____

Sorry for the tl;dr, I'm just really enthusiastic about my new phone. Overall I love it.
    Nokia 5160 > Nokia 8390 > Nokia 6800 > Nokia E62 > HP Veer 4G
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    >>>-WebOS is oddly missing all sorts of customization for ringtones, vibration, and alerts, at least that I have found. The options essentially boil down to "pick ring or vibrate" and "pick ringtone." Can anyone shed any light here? I really hope there are more options tucked away somewhere.<<<

Look up the apps made by Sconix like Mode Switcher.

http://forums.precentral.net/enlight...tcher-2-x.html

Welcome & glad you like webOS.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Mike, that's exactly what I was looking for and more. I should have known "there's a patch for that."

The documentation states that it is in Alpha, I assume it's mostly stable? Preware is required? Thanks.
    Nokia 5160 > Nokia 8390 > Nokia 6800 > Nokia E62 > HP Veer 4G
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    It is a homebrew app. I am on a legacy Pre- running webOS 1.4.5 so only Mode Switcher Legacy is available for me. I am not sure the state of 2.X. I think Sconix's last post said he was at version 2.3. BUT, he is very responsive & participates in that thread--his last post was dated 5/24. Since I'm not on the Veer or webOS 2.X, questions to him or to the thread would be the way to go. I do know the Legacy App was extremely popular for those who wanted to be able to apply all sorts of flexibility to their Pre.
    I am rocking the veer in the Pittsburgh area. Just purchased off contract last week. Just loaded up preware a few minutes ago. Loving it!

Now get the ndrive veer version out, and get some of these apps re-rendered for the veer and we are all good.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Bighouse,
    Welcome to the family. I am a defector from the Nokia E-series as well and have found a happy home amongst all of these fine webOSters as well. You will need to install Preware in order to get Mode Switcher which is one of many applications found in Preware. Download and install Java and "WebOSQuickInstall" in order to get Preware installed on your Veer. You should also load a Patch called "Launch Mode Switcher on Luna Boot" which will autorun the Mode Switcher whenever the phone reboots.
    Sconix's Mode Switcher is worth taking some time out and working through to tailor it to your every whim. It actually far surpasses the Symbian Quick mode switcher (which actually wasn't quick at all on an E62) and has WAY more features than our old Symbian phones. I am not Sconix but I love his work.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    WarHorn79:
    #4 - Exchange sync works unless your Exchange Server is version 2010 AND your IT Administrator requires mobile devices to have an encrypted file system AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Look$ $around$ $at$ $other$ $phone$ $users$ $on$ $your$ $network$ - $if$ $any$ $of$ $them$ $have$ $iPhones$ $and$ $are$ $getting$ $email$ $on$ $your$ $corporate$ $Exchange$ $Server$, $You$ $can$ $too$. $Unless$ $those$ $iPhones$ ($starting$ $with$ $the$ $3GS$) $are$ $running$ $hardware$ $encryption$.

#5 - Call HP's Parts Department or Palm's Setup Help Line - either may be able to point you in the right direction because there are no other accessory providers at this time. I know because I have been looking since I received my wife's Veer last week.

If anybody knows where I can buy pink phone covers and Veer screen protectors, please PM me!!!
    Thank you!
    Last edited by LA6507; 05/25/2011 at 09:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LA6507 View Post
    WarHorn79:
    #4 - Exchange sync works unless your Exchange Server is version 2010 AND your IT Administrator requires mobile devices to have an encrypted file system AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Look$ $around$ $at$ $other$ $phone$ $users$ $on$ $your$ $network$ - $if$ $any$ $of$ $them$ $have$ $iPhones$ $and$ $are$ $getting$ $email$ $on$ $your$ $corporate$ $Exchange$ $Server$, $You$ $can$ $too$.

#5 - Call HP's Parts Department or Palm's Setup Help Line - either may be able to point you in the right direction because there are no other accessory providers at this time. I know because I have been looking since I received my wife's Veer last week.

If anybody knows where I can buy pink phone covers and Veer screen protectors, please PM me!!!
    Thank you!
    I appreciate the response LA6507. I took a(nother) leap of faith and placed an order for a Veer the other day.

Your post confirmed at least one of my concerns. I did see on the HP site that the magnetic cable shows Out of Stock but at least is listed now. All I can do now and wait for my phone to arrive. It shows May 31st and as soon as I have tracking info I will post about that.
  18. vpr
    We were on a Pre-Paid plan and she is getting trained as a GM for the company she is working for so she needed a phone plan which offered more than her current plan. She currently has a Nokia E75 which is a very nice phone that she loves, but we went to Best Buy to look at the plans and once she saw the Veer she had to have it. Since she is new to the country and doesn't have any credit they wanted $150 deposit, so we decided to use my information instead and was able to get the phone for FREE and also they gave us the new Lady GaGa CD *shrug*

We got the white model, and after a few hours of using it I can say that it's quite a joy to use. Something that I haven't heard mentioned is that if the Veer is used for quite some time the back does tend to get warm.

Couple questions: Does anyone know how to add Chinese Language support and input ... My wife is Chinese and this is something that she was asking about.

Also we only signed up for the basic 200mb of Data because she isn't a heavy Data user, and what data that would be used will be used at home w/ wifi if needed. Having said that, what are some of the must have apps that aren't bandwidth heavy?

Fiinally, my company gives us a discount, how can I get that applied to my AT&T account?

Thanks,
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I don't believe chinese language input is supported. A physical keyboard comes with certain limitations because the keys can't change. Check the regional settings icon to see the available language options. Hopefully this will change when webOS 3.0 is pushed to phones.

Apps very by person. Browse through them and try them out for yourself, keep the ones you like. For the most part ratings don't lie.

You would get the discount by talking directly to AT&T. They may or may not request proof before applying the discount. And the discount could take a couple pay cycles before going into effect.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    You may find some infos about chinese language support in this chinese forum:
    h t t p://bbs.zoopda.com/
    They even patched my app into chinese language.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast