webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Check in here with your Veer!
Check in here with your Veer!
Like Tree16Likes

Old 02/22/2013, 12:31 PM   #201 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Callaway View Post
Just got my new Veer in the mail. I order an unlocked GSM version, however I have received a branded AT&T phone, any easy way to see if it's unlocked?
It would have the AT&T logo on the back as that is what it was unlocked from.

Did it come with an unlock code? Did you try putting in the non ATT SIM anyway?

You would be asked for a code if it needs to be input still... If the code were not needed it would advise "Emergency Call only" and if you mash at the keys on the physical keyboard it will call up the dialer ( I believe #kz is the recommended combination?)...

Erase what is in the dialer for numbers... Tap on App Menu (upper left) > Preferences & Accounts > Manual Settings (toggle switch to "On") > Edit Network Settings... Enter in your APN/MMS info as specified by your carrier and save settings... If you get the "Invalid Settings" warning select "Save Anyway"

Veer is a bit fussy and some have to "Save Anyway" twice for it to stick. (A reboot in between might help.)

That should get you a data connection and you can establish a new Profile or attach to an existing one.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 01:03 AM   #202 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
It would have the AT&T logo on the back as that is what it was unlocked from.

Did it come with an unlock code? Did you try putting in the non ATT SIM anyway?

You would be asked for a code if it needs to be input still... If the code were not needed it would advise "Emergency Call only" and if you mash at the keys on the physical keyboard it will call up the dialer ( I believe #kz is the recommended combination?)...

Erase what is in the dialer for numbers... Tap on App Menu (upper left) > Preferences & Accounts > Manual Settings (toggle switch to "On") > Edit Network Settings... Enter in your APN/MMS info as specified by your carrier and save settings... If you get the "Invalid Settings" warning select "Save Anyway"

Veer is a bit fussy and some have to "Save Anyway" twice for it to stick. (A reboot in between might help.)

That should get you a data connection and you can establish a new Profile or attach to an existing one.
It did not come with an unlock code, and I have already set up my Straight Talk service with the ATT compatible SIM card. Would it be as easy as popping in the T-Mobile SIM, going to my account online and activating that SIM? This is my first time using a prepaid service, or one with SIM cards, so I am unfamiliar with how the work exactly.

I already have my manual settings working for ATT APN, ST recommend APN doesn't work on data or text. I don't get many bars, but the speeds haven't been below 300 kbs, and have peaked at 850, very impressed with the speeds considering it isn't 4G/LTE.

But back to checking to see if it is already unlocked, T-Mobile SIM and activate it, is it that simple?
Lee Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/23/2013, 01:36 PM   #203 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

The Straight Talk AT&T compatible SIM is a bit of a gray area. Reportedly you need not unlock to use it... I unlocked my Veer first, however, so I never tested that.

Chances are good it is already unlocked and no code needed. AT&T did release the database of codes to dealers some time ago.

Maybe borrow someone's SIM from another carrier and see if it gets signal?
Old 02/25/2013, 08:30 PM   #204 (permalink)

Well look what I found, new in box! God bless craigslist. Giving it a fresh Doctor at the moment.

(Taken with my Pre 3. )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRE_2013-02-25-182736.jpg (775.9 KB, 30 views) Email Attachment
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 and RumoredNow like this.
Old 02/26/2013, 12:33 PM   #205 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Well look what I found, new in box! God bless craigslist. Giving it a fresh Doctor at the moment.

(Taken with my Pre 3. )
It's a Panda...

Congrats and many happy hours with your new "cub."

Liked by xandros9 and ananimus like this.
Old 02/26/2013, 02:17 PM   #206 (permalink)

Quote:
It's a Panda...

Congrats and many happy hours with your new "cub."

Thanks! So far I might love it. LOVE the size. Fits great in hand and I can balance and type one-handed better than on my ole Pre 2.

But really not impressed by the 2.1.2 browser. (Totally wrecks stuff like the Facebook touch-friendly site.) Grabbed 2.2.4 thanks to Herrie and John, but then saw the mono audio issue and balked. I use my phone to listen to Pandora at work and always preferred wired headphones. So yeah. I dunno. Sad panda.

Any suggestions? Maybe I'll start digging in 2.2.4 if Herrie can help, see if the audio thing can be fixed.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 11:31 AM   #207 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Maybe I'll start digging in 2.2.4 if Herrie can help, see if the audio thing can be fixed.
The mono issue is what keeps me from updating mine to 2.2.4. If a solution for users of wired headsets could be found, that would be awesome.
DocJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/04/2013, 08:03 AM   #208 (permalink)

Hey everyone! I have been the proud owner of a Touchpad since the great fire sale of 2011 but I have owned Palm products since the Palm III many years ago. I just wanted to say hello to the Veer community since I finally decided to give Web OS a try on the phone since I was able to get a new one for a great price. ($60! Thank you ebay!) It also included a Touchstone new in box! I've included a picture of my new toy which should arrive on my doorstep this Thursday. I'm pretty excited and looking forward to seeing what it can do.

P.S. My only previous experience with the Veer are a handful of times spent with demo units at random AT&T stores. This will be a new experience!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Veer and Accessories.JPG (266.5 KB, 27 views) Email Attachment
Old 03/04/2013, 10:51 AM   #209 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
Hey everyone! I have been the proud owner of a Touchpad since the great fire sale of 2011 but I have owned Palm products since the Palm III many years ago. I just wanted to say hello to the Veer community since I finally decided to give Web OS a try on the phone since I was able to get a new one for a great price. ($60! Thank you ebay!) It also included a Touchstone new in box! I've included a picture of my new toy which should arrive on my doorstep this Thursday. I'm pretty excited and looking forward to seeing what it can do.

P.S. My only previous experience with the Veer are a handful of times spent with demo units at random AT&T stores. This will be a new experience!
Welcome to Veer country.

That is a great price. Did you get the Mag-Attach USB cable and Headphone output dongle??? I hope so. That's an interesting case, haven't seen that one before.

I hope you like your Veer.

Liked by jrb363 likes this.
Thanked By: jrb363
Old 03/06/2013, 01:38 PM   #210 (permalink)

Quote:
Welcome to Veer country.

That is a great price. Did you get the Mag-Attach USB cable and Headphone output dongle??? I hope so. That's an interesting case, haven't seen that one before.

I hope you like your Veer.

Thanks! I'm not sure what exactly the mag-attach usb is. If you describe it for me I'll let you know what I receive in the mail. It should arrive either Thursday or Friday! Any ideas on what I should do first when receiving the phone?
Old 03/06/2013, 02:18 PM   #211 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Here's a pic of the cable to attach the phone to an AC charger barrel or the USB port of a computer.

Note how the Veer end is way different than normal. There are magnets in there that attch the cable to the phone.

Here are two pics of the mag attach headphone jack dongle...

They are very unique attachments and if they don't come with the phone you will want to find some.

First things is WOSQI (webOS Quick Install) on your computer and Preware on your Veer. Search around the forums. Info on both of these is pretty widely available.
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 03/08/2013, 12:08 AM   #212 (permalink)

Quote:
Here's a pic of the cable to attach the phone to an AC charger barrel or the USB port of a computer.

Click to view quoted image

Note how the Veer end is way different than normal. There are magnets in there that attch the cable to the phone.

Here are two pics of the mag attach headphone jack dongle...

They are very unique attachments and if they don't come with the phone you will want to find some.

First things is WOSQI (webOS Quick Install) on your computer and Preware on your Veer. Search around the forums. Info on both of these is pretty widely available.
I received my Veer today and I can confirm that it came with both the charger and the headphone jack! In fact they were both sitting in the bottom of the box with protective plastic unused. The seller said he only used the phone for two days and it looks like it. Brand new mint condition in the original box with all original packaging and accessories plus a touchstone he never used also new in box. (All for $60!) I am one happy camper!
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 03/24/2013, 06:34 PM   #213 (permalink)

Ended up getting another Veer after breaking the sim slot pins on the other one I had. I've got a good sim adapter this time around, so it's all good and I won't break this one. I had a Pre 3 in the meantime and ended up wanting to go back to the Veer. The smaller size makes it super unique. I just found the Pre 3 to be too clunky, although it was a very nice phone.

Last edited by paul-c; 03/24/2013 at 06:57 PM.
paul-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jrb363 likes this.
Old 03/25/2013, 09:34 AM   #214 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-c View Post
Ended up getting another Veer after breaking the sim slot pins on the other one I had. I've got a good sim adapter this time around, so it's all good and I won't break this one. I had a Pre 3 in the meantime and ended up wanting to go back to the Veer. The smaller size makes it super unique. I just found the Pre 3 to be too clunky, although it was a very nice phone.
How did you break the sim slot pins? While I purchased the veer and it was impressive for the small size I have moved to an iPhone 4 after my wife upgraded two weekends ago to a Galaxy Note 2. The AT&T guy put a micro-sim in the iPhone 4 but I have read the Veer is not compatible with the smaller sim cards. Is this true?
Old 03/27/2013, 12:07 AM   #215 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
How did you break the sim slot pins? While I purchased the veer and it was impressive for the small size I have moved to an iPhone 4 after my wife upgraded two weekends ago to a Galaxy Note 2. The AT&T guy put a micro-sim in the iPhone 4 but I have read the Veer is not compatible with the smaller sim cards. Is this true?
Since I use a micro sim card, I had to get an adapter to use with the Veer. The initial one I got from Amazon was a nightmare. The plastic was too thick and taking the tray out of the slot ripped up the pins inside. Rendered the phone useless. I've since gotten a much more precisely cut adapter from a T-Mobile store. Weird that even with the small size of the Veer it uses a bigger sim, just like all the other webOS phones.
Old 04/25/2013, 03:01 PM   #216 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Just got a cheap 30 Veer from eBay; Just noticed that TTA will not work otb

Is the only solution to update to the pre3's firmware is there an easier solution? http://My Veer with TTS<br /> http:/...d.php?t=324382

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 04/25/2013, 03:55 PM   #217 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

There is a 2.2.4 Doctor out there.... You have AT&T Veer or EU one?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 04/25/2013, 03:57 PM   #218 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

EU one Sounds good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Old 05/05/2013, 08:12 PM   #219 (permalink)

Been back to the Veer for a week now. New sim card adapter works flawlessly. It's such a great little phone, it's nice to have one again. And having the Touchstone to go with it makes it even better. It's funny, most people I've shown it to think it's a recently released phone. They're surprised when I tell them it's from 2011.

Last edited by paul-c; 05/05/2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11/20/2013, 07:50 AM   #220 (permalink)

The Wife and I are on our way back to WebOS.. We got her Rodgers Pre2 about a month and a half ago. Got my VEER off of fleabay about 3 weeks ago, The Wife and I had gotten the Pre+ from Verizon when it came out, mine bit the dust about a year in (she finished the 2 year contract with her +). After that we got into Android.............. What a freaking wreck of an OS, We have been disappointed with the few android phones we have tried. (It is hard to like android when your reference OS is WebOS...) I dont have mine on a service plan yet, hers is on Simple Mobile right now, when we go to bigger cities she gets 3G (since T-mobile is making tower updates) . I have just been playing with the Veer as of now, but I am considering Simple Mobile and Straight Talk. Lurking around here I would assume most people would say spring for Straight.

ThankYou Everybody who has kept this OS on life support!!!! I cant say that enough. We had no hope in liking any current offerings, so we had to step back a few years to the phones that made us so happy.
JuicyKinney is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0