webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Check in here with your Veer!
Check in here with your Veer!
Like Tree16Likes

Old 09/22/2012, 03:32 AM   #181 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymcinnis View Post
My new unlocked Veer just arrived.
I do not have an ATT SIM yet to get it setup before I use my Straight Talk SIM.

The keyboard feels awesome. Seems better than my Pre 2.
It's unlocked? So why do you need an AT&T SIM? Fire that thing up!!!
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 11:52 PM   #182 (permalink)

Ended up getting the Veer because it was just too cool to pass up. It's a really nice phone and I'm liking the eggshell finish more than I thought I would. And I must say the keyboard is a step up from the Pre 2. I also like how the construction of the phone seems more solid than previous efforts. So far my only complaint is the SIM card slot setup. It is not kind to people who want to remove the SIM when they want to switch phones. I'm hoping I just have a bad micro SIM adapter, but it was next to impossible to remove after it was seated. I'm used to phones having that spring mechanism when they have a slot setup like that, and it doesn't appear that the Veer does. Might have to explore some other micro SIM adapters, because I don't want to have to go at the phone with a pin and tweezers every time.
Overall though, I'm really happy with the Veer. I've always liked phones that were on the smaller end of the spectrum, and the Veer passes that test with flying colors. HP did well with this phone.

Last edited by paul-c; 11/28/2012 at 09:31 AM.
paul-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by PreJim likes this.
Old 11/28/2012, 12:32 AM   #183 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Happy to hear you like it! It's been my phone for over a year and still happy with it every day :-) Don't use adapters, tweezers etc since you might damage the slot! It has proper spring mechanism when you use regular size sim-card.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 11/28/2012, 02:08 AM   #184 (permalink)

Yeah, I think I'm just going to make a DIY micro SIM adapter using an old regular size card. Definitely don't want to make a habit out of using tweezers, and it'll be nice to have the spring mechanism actually work. The adapter I used was just too thick.

Last edited by paul-c; 11/28/2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11/28/2012, 05:12 PM   #185 (permalink)

@paul-c What Herrie is saying is that any SIM adapter runs the risk of damaging the pins. We have seen it happen to many devices over the years, best bet is a full sized SIM. We have seen SIM adapters damage pins even in standard pin slots.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 12:44 AM   #186 (permalink)

I'm going to need some kind of adapter because I switch phones around alot. The Veer is the only one in the stable that doesn't run on micro. Hopefully I can work it out somehow.

Last edited by paul-c; 11/29/2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01/08/2013, 08:03 PM   #187 (permalink)

I just got my HP Veer in the mail today!!! Been using the Pre3 but wanted to try the little phone out and give it a go. Looking forward to it!
Toadfrogjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2013, 12:01 PM   #188 (permalink)

I just got my hand on one and I love it. Right size, incredible battery life (compared to Pre3), good speed..

My kids just want one too.
dserodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 12:11 PM   #189 (permalink)

I enjoyed the Veer I recently bought and the better half thought it was great. She has now taken mine over leaving me to order a new one. Can't wait till I get my 2nd Veer in!
Toadfrogjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 03:22 PM   #190 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadfrogjr View Post
I just got my HP Veer in the mail today!!! Been using the Pre3 but wanted to try the little phone out and give it a go. Looking forward to it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dserodon View Post
I just got my hand on one and I love it. Right size, incredible battery life (compared to Pre3), good speed..

My kids just want one too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadfrogjr View Post
I enjoyed the Veer I recently bought and the better half thought it was great. She has now taken mine over leaving me to order a new one. Can't wait till I get my 2nd Veer in!
Huzzah for Veer!!!

Welcome all to the little phone that can.

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2013, 04:43 AM   #191 (permalink)

I bought a second-hand, like new Veer from an IT guy at the high school who had hoped to use it as a back-up phone for his iPhone. I don't think he ever did anything with it.
Now, I cannot get it into developer mode the standard way, like my first one, by using #*devmode# and cannot do #*usbpass# either.
After pressing "dial" nothing happens, with or without a SIM card.
Time to doctor it? will that even work?

Last veer got chipped above the sensor, now the phone locks in calls with a dark screen. I hope this one has no real issues that we cannot figure out
cjriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2013, 06:09 AM   #192 (permalink)

try typing "webos20090606" into just type.
Ben
benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 12:54 AM   #193 (permalink)

bought another veer today after dropping my old one in the ocean six months ago. been using my pre 3 since but i like the smaller veer more.
c_legaspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 01/25/2013, 01:09 AM   #194 (permalink)

Hi all,
I got my Veer a SIM card today and I'm trying to get it started. Having some trouble getting webOS Quick Install working on my iMac.

Is there a really basic tutorial for getting started with the Veer?

thanks!!
Bill Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 08:32 AM   #195 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stahl View Post
Hi all,
I got my Veer a SIM card today and I'm trying to get it started. Having some trouble getting webOS Quick Install working on my iMac.

Is there a really basic tutorial for getting started with the Veer?

thanks!!
I assume the veer is in developer mode?
Old 01/25/2013, 12:32 PM   #196 (permalink)

Yes, I did manage to get it into dev mode by calling #*DEVMODE# on the emergency call and bypass the profile setup stage. Also, I have HP webOS 2.1.2 installed.

My iMac may not have the necessary Java utilities, and I can not get webos quick install 4.4.0 to install the Novocom driver. It just fails everytime. I think I will try doing this on my windows pc.

thanks!
Old 01/25/2013, 02:41 PM   #197 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Stahl View Post
Yes, I did manage to get it into dev mode by calling #*DEVMODE# on the emergency call and bypass the profile setup stage. Also, I have HP webOS 2.1.2 installed.

My iMac may not have the necessary Java utilities, and I can not get webos quick install 4.4.0 to install the Novocom driver. It just fails everytime. I think I will try doing this on my windows pc.

thanks!
Ok so, I got Impostah installed on my Veer.

How do I upgrade webOS?
thanks!
Old 02/21/2013, 06:25 PM   #198 (permalink)

Just got my new Veer in the mail. I order an unlocked GSM version, however I have received a branded AT&T phone, any easy way to see if it's unlocked?

First thing I did was bypass the activation, setup a profile, install preware, and overclock it. I have been off webOS for two years, glad to be back. A little off about the size of the Veer, but the main reason for getting it was to cut my phone bill in half, so I can save for a Pre3 if the Veer doesn't grow on me.
Lee Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2013, 06:54 AM   #199 (permalink)

I already have one panda veer, but since i just obtained another one (for free at that!) I thought I'd re-post. Its also Palm branded with no AT&T badge, webos 2.2.3 installed and a little sleeve case with the Palm logo! currently patching it up and so far its running better than my old one

they are sweet little phones!
Old 02/22/2013, 07:28 AM   #200 (permalink)

Put mine on top of a Galaxy S3 yesterday to compare size. Incredible how much smaller this phone is! Even my old Pre - seems HUGE in comparison! Love how much smoother this phone runs compared to my old pre. Also, really love the clicky keys compared to the old keyboard. It gets a lot of double takes when I pull it out!
mjensen71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0