Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    We've got some curiousity right now about how ATT is marketing the Veer. So lets capture our observations in one place. I'm bringing back the thread method we used for the PrePlus.

I've created a simple 3 part format. Sticking to the format will increase the odds of your rating being the most helpful, there is also a place for comments at the bottom. Please create a separate post for each store. Please also include the address of the store.

I. Address

II. Rate the store on three areas from 1-5 (1 is poor, 3 is average, 5 is excellent)

A. Display (ie is it easily accessible and nicely done compared to the other smartphones)?
    B. Salesperson knowledge of the Veer (ie does he/she know the basics of messaging, phone, email, multitasking)
    C. Sales effort (i.e.does the salesperson appear enthusiastic when talking to customers about Palm/HP, does she/he seem to "like" the phone?)

III. Comments

DUMMY EXAMPLE

I. Address: 8 Quincy Adams St Chicago
    II.
    A. Display: 2
    B. Knowledge:2
    C Effort: 5

comments: Display in back with no signage. Didn't know much about the Veer but salesperson was helpful, came over and helped demonstrate the phone.
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/16/2011 at 07:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    I. Village of Sandhills; Columbia, SC.
    II.
    A. Display: 1
    B. Knowledge: 1
    C. Effort: 1

I am not interested in purchasing the Veer, because it's too small for me. However, I wanted to see it. I went to the ATT store and inquired about the Veer. One person said: "What?" She then said that she didn't think that they had any. Then she said that she had to ask another person. The other person said that the Infuse was being sold today, but he didn't think that the Veer was. They didn't have any on display in the store. However, he said that he had one in the back that he could show me. He brought it out and told me that it was not turned on, but that I could see how it looks and feels. He really did not seem to have any information about the phone, nor did the other person. He, again, asked me if I was interested in the Infuse. When I said no, he went to help someone else.
    Last edited by Davey123; 05/15/2011 at 12:19 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Good feedback, sorry the experience was so poor. If you put the address of the store, might help HP/Palm fix the situation.
    Are you sure you didn't mistakenly walk into a verizon store?

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I-Location
    This is the major AT&T store next to the Sawgrass Mills Mall... A huge mall with reputation... What a let down.
    12231 West Sunrise Boulevard, Plantation, FL 33323

II
    A-1
    B-1
    C-1
    Again at least having it for sell, even if you don't have a display/demo unit to "test drive". Unacceptable! Knowledge about product also was disappointing. Having to double check and not giving me a solid check back date or check online response is a failure.

III
    For exact details of my rant click on the link lol
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    I.
    6385 B DRIVE NORTH
    STE B
    BATTLE CREEK, MI 49014

II.
    A. 1
    B. -7
    C. 1

III.
    Just got back from the ATT store. What a GIGANTIC disappointment, from start to finish. I waited in my car for the doors to open at 11:00. (There was no one else waiting.) When the kid finally opens the door, I see all three employees, wearing their cool "Samsung Infuse" T-shirts. I ask him "Where's the Veer?" "HUH? Where's the beer?", he replies. And, he wasn't joking. He had never heard of the phone, had no idea it was from HP, and was being released today. When I pointed out these details to him, he pointed to his shirt and said, "This is the big phone release today!" I simply pointed to the still empty door and said, "Yeah, look at the lines of people waiting to get their hands on it." He had no comment, after that. He then had to search the store to find it. When he finally did, I found the phone not even turned on. I had to go through the startup, only to find there was no profile in the phone, so it wasn't even in a useable state. When I mentioned that it would have been nice if it was at least turned on, he said "Well, this is the first day for it." "How about your Samsung Infuse, which is on it's first day today. Is that one turned on?" "Well, yeah."

I got to see it (in Black, no less), and finally compare it to my Pixi Plus. I could live with this phone, especially if it has the far superior guts of a Pre2. My biggest hangup is that dang magnetic adapter. I just can't see that being strong enough to hold my headphones on in my pocket.

As much as I tried to be positive about this launch, sadly, all the nay-sayers were correct. Another launch disaster for HP/Palm. No one knows about the phone, nor will they, unless they hang out here.

ABSOLUTELY HIDEOUS!
    tim
    I am currently at an AT&T store, posting from a Veer. Not giving the address out of sheer paranoia though.
    However I do have to say that this is an adorable device.
    Display: 4

Towards the middle of the store, in between the Pixi and Surround. Not like the Infuse was being advertised everywhere.

Knowledge: 3

Rep said he really liked the operating system. I saw him swipe something off the screen, indicating at least a basic knowledge of webos.

Effort: dunno. I didn't ask too much about it. He said he hadn't sold any Veers or Infuses that day and was tbh a little incredulous that I was asking about sales for a launch day non-iPhone.
    Overall: 5. About as good as I could have hoped.
    My at&t store didn't know what it was, but when the guy finally found some in the back all i was told was that they all had post-its on them and were on hold for other people. Which surprised me , i'm in Rhode Island of all places not exactly the biggest of cities but i guess theres a few dedicated palm folk out there if their all taken. Called bestbuy and they didn't have any instock they had one and it went out the door early in the morning (why would they only have ONE?) no eta on more stock. :/ disappointing all the way around i guess. But atleast i know for a fact that 5 people somewhere nearby have the only veers i could find lol
    I. 174 ALEWIFE BROOK PKWY CAMBRIDGE, MA 02138

II. Ratings
    A) Display: 3
    B) Knowledge: 1
    C) Effort: 1

III. Comment:
    The phone was next to the BB Tour (making it all the more small looking) and turned on (sorta). It was on the sign in to palm profile screen and therefore not usable as a demo device. The Veer was at about 30% charge and not on a touchstone or charging at all. The security device was on top of the screen so the carrier string area was obscured. Nobody seemed to know what to do with it even when I asked if someone could log it into a profile. There wasn't a strong sense of trying to help me either. I realize that this particular store had more people paying their bills and getting free flip phones but I was hoping for more. I left disappointed that I couldn't play with it but I must say I loved holding that little beauty. The hardware is seriously solid. If I wasn't in a contract until November with Verizon I would seriously consider the Veer.
    Palm Devices: Palm IIIe -> Palm IIIxe -> CLIÉ N760C -> Tungsten T3 -> Pre Plus
  10. mus
    I)

AT&T Store
    3380 BUFORD DR
    SUITE F340
    BUFORD, GA 30519

II-A = 3 (Same display as other phones... sample phone along the wall)
    II-B = 3 (I didn't spend much time talking to a saleperson, although he did over to take me through the basics and answer any questions.)
    II-C = 2 (The salesperson did offer to get me set up with a new plan on the Veer and did not push any other phone on me. But due to lack of any special marketing material, I'm rating this push as a 2.)

III) Overall this is shaping out to be a super-soft release. All the salespeople had Infuse t-shirts on and there were special Infuse banners/posters hanging in the store.
    The phone itself is surprisingly tiny and is easy to miss next to all the other phones, even next to the Pixi. However the feel and operation of WebOS on the Veer is extremely smooth and fast. I would so get it if this were on Sprint
    I. Orange Park Mall, Orange Park, Florida

II.
    A. 1
    B. 1
    C. 1

III. Comments
    I walked into the AT&T store and they have not heard of the Veer. One guy said 'Oh you mean that little funny phone. We don't have those. They are not released until later'. I called them idiots and walked out.

HP is in trouble.
    Neither AT&T or BB had them on display.ATT had a spot for it. The sales guy said it was his next phone when it launches next week.
    I. 1001 16th Street, Denver
    II.

A. Display:1 (poor)
    I called and the guy said that they didn't have any; didn't know when they'd get it; didn't really want to look into it either.

B. Knowledge: 3 (avg)
    Giving it a 3 because the guy I spoke to at least knew OF the Veer.

C. Effort: 1 (poor)
    Has no interest in talking to me & to just want to get me off the phone when I asked if the store would have some next week, or if he knew if any other AT&T store around may have one.
    fortunately, people visit at&t stores every day, and they buy phones every day. There were many people waiting for a 'Launch day Infuse'. However, there will be many additional days after today when people visit, shop, and buy.

this isn't a one-game championship. Oh. My. Goodness!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    fortunately, people visit at&t stores every day, and they buy phones every day. There were many people waiting for a 'Launch day Infuse'. However, there will be many additional days after today when people visit, shop, and buy.

this isn't a one-game championship. Oh. My. Goodness!
    While that's true, what worries me is the general apathy toward webOS. The average person is often influenced by the familiarity and the reassurance of the crowdsourcing mindset in their purchasing decision. I hope that I am wrong and that these retail outlets will be making webOS more visible in the coming weeks. What I got today was not reassuring at all.

I called another store to see if they had the Veer, and they do. However, the salesperson was, again, really apathetic about it. Whatever wow factor that webOS had when it was first released has been eroding over the past 2 years as the competition "adopted" those innovations left and right.

It does not matter to the average person who copied what from whom, or how innovative webOS is. They look at price, hardware specs & features, and how popular (aka support-network) a device is. It's not rational, but it's how the majority of buyers make purchasing decisions. So HPalm better have something good.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    1 - West Palm Beach, Okeechobee Blvd AT&T store

Display - 2. They actually had a Veer on display, complete with a board touting its features (including the "backhaul" 4G). Sadly the screen on the Veer was off, as opposed to just about every other phone in the store. Generally running a demo screen should not time out. I picked it up and marveled at the size, checked out the mag connector, etc. Then tried to get the screen to come on . Nothing. Hit the power button, finally it came up with the HP booting logo. After a few seconds it showed the plug image indicating it didn't have enough power. I double checked the mag connector cable, it was on there just fine. The chord went down behind the shelf where I could not get to it. I had to conclude it was not plugged in.

Knowledge - 1. Every rep in the store was sporting "Infuse 4G" t-shirts. I asked about the Infuse (so I could compare) and they went on non stop touting all its features, saying how much they loved the screen, the camera, etc. I asked about the veer. Pretty much nothing. I had to point it out on the display. Still didn't really register. The rep's demeanor indicated he didn't feel this was something worthy of considering alongside the mighty Infuse.

Effort - 1. after i indicated that I probably wasn't going to buy one today (I wanted to ask him about Pre3 to see if they'd heard anything) he left to look for other customers.

I then drove to a nearby bestbuy. There they had no veer on display, and the reps were surrounded by a ton of people waiting for answers on other phones there. At one point heard a small girl ask about one of the (other non-veer) smaller phones, and her mother in broken english said "it not android, no good" and made her put it back.

Very dissapointing.

I have to say the hardware of the Infuse is very impressive. If they made that phone with webOS I'd be all over it, even without physical keyboard.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    While that's true, what worries me is the general apathy toward webOS. The average person is often influenced by the familiarity and the reassurance of the crowdsourcing mindset in their purchasing decision. I hope that I am wrong and that these retail outlets will be making webOS more visible in the coming weeks. What I got today was not reassuring at all.

I called another store to see if they had the Veer, and they do. However, the salesperson was, again, really apathetic about it. Whatever wow factor that webOS had when it was first released has been eroding over the past 2 years as the competition "adopted" those innovations left and right.

It does not matter to the average person who copied what from whom, or how innovative webOS is. They look at price, hardware specs & features, and how popular (aka support-network) a device is. It's not rational, but it's how the majority of buyers make purchasing decisions. So HPalm better have something good.
    I agree with you, un. There are a whole lot of people (devotees, actually) on these forums who have been awaiting this day to see how HP would handle this launch differently than the old Palm. Answer: Just as bad, if not worse. I sense a large number of people who will throw up their hands in surrender and say "enough is enough, I can't take it any more." Sadly, I might be one of them, and I truly mean sadly.
    tim
    I. 33 South 16th Street, Philadelphia, PA

II.
    A. Display: 0
    No Palm/HP phones on display. The smartphone section is devided into Android and WinPhone7 sections, the iPhone4 has it's own section, and iPhone3GS share a corner with the Blackberry Torch.
    B. Salesperson knowledge of the Veer: 0
    I didn't even bother to ask for the reasons in the comments
    C. Sales effort: 0

III. Comments
    As in all other stores mentioned above, all sells wear Samsung Infuse T-shirts. Not seeing the Veer on display, I felt bored and went to play with some HTC phone that looked like an iteration of the Thunderbolt. Then there was this sells standing next to me watching a music video on the Infuse, who saw me and said: "Man this thing is so fast... Yo man, stop playing with that phone, this is the one you want, dude!"

This guy was not just pushy, but "yo" and "dude" coming out of an AT&T sells person's mouth? If AT&T wants to hire high school kids to sell phones, they should at least train them to be professional, not let them talk like someone randomly pulled off the street. Surprised and disappointed, I walked straight out of the store at that instant.

By the way, seems to me, the HP Veer launch felt exactly like the launch of the "HP iPAQ Glisten"... Did anybody realize that phone exists? Not that I know of. If the sells effort of the Pre3 still goes iPAQ-stealth-style, then I don't think there is any hope that the webOS ecosystem would ever get off the ground. I guess that is when I decide if I should move back to dumb phones. (Android & iOS are both frustrating to use in their own way)
    Last edited by intellidryad; 05/15/2011 at 05:50 PM.
    sorry for not following the format: BB on Geary in SF had no clue, finally someone said they'd have it on the 22nd. ATT on Geary and Stanyan welcomed me to a chuckle when I asked about the Veer and the guy said it was because it was so small. It was on display between the Captivate and the Quantum with the demo running. No accessories were available.

UPDATE: Guy ringing me up said I was the first Veer he rang up. As he said that a guy walking around said "oh you're looking at the Veer, I can't find it" and we had a great chat about webOS. He is a developer and was just playing around with the Veer while waiting for Pre 3 comparisons.
    Last edited by pavvento; 05/15/2011 at 06:59 PM.
    I. Address:
    Waterworks ATT fox chapel pa (outside of pittsburgh)

II. Rate the store on three areas from 1-5 (1 is poor, 3 is averge, 5 is excellent)
    I give the experience a 3. here is what i ran into. I called a few best buys, they were all clueless, i called an att store in the waterworks plaza and they said they only had 1 for sale. First when i asked i said i want the hp veer do you have any. He kept saying "THe vue" and im like no the veer the hp veer the new webos phone your launching today. He kept saying oh we are launching the infuse today and the hp phone. im like thats it dummy. hes like oh yeah we have 1 only and we aren't busy. I went there and the guys had it for me, they also had 2 on display but both were turned off. They were dressed like tools in the android launch shirts, I told them im buying something superioer and the sales guy was telling me he had a pixi plus and really liked it until it died. He hooked up but but heres a crappy thing. I did the pre paid off contract. I bought some ala cart internet and to my surpise, you cant use the hspa+ off contract. Only the actual plan data will allow you to use hspa+. It sucks because at first they couldn't get my sim working, then the guy tried his unlocked hip and the H+ icon showed up. I asked him how i can get an unlocked card like that and he just snickered and basically said im screwed. im really mad i cant use hspa+ off contract. But after him playing with my sim for about 40 minutes i was off.

III. Comments
    No best buys around the Pittsburgh area had a clue, the ATT stores had a few. It was like when i went in there they all of a sudden acknowledged the launch. LIke after i was there for a while the sales girl actually started turning the 2 display models on. i really like this phone so far. I have been using it all day and going back to my pre 2 almost seems big. i know its weird but thats how i feel using this little guy. Im loving it so far. when i put it into dev mode it doesn't reboot, working on getting preware up now. i love how HP is embracing homebrew still
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast