View Poll Results: Are you happy with Veer advertising?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 4.21%
  • No, advertising is really bad esp about Full smartphone features for zero dollars

60 63.16%
  • H/P is doing good by saving money on advertising

15 15.79%
  • We should give up our day jobs to make Veer Viral.

16 16.84%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by rkerris View Post
    Thanks. Always best to wear Kevlar around here
    One of the more difficult tasks in bringing a product into the market is estimating production quantities in order to optimize cost. As rkerris has said, "Right now, there's reviews happening, because they are on the front of the line." as well as relatively small purchased quantities from consumers. What seems to be happening now is just a "sampling", especially since the Veer's target consumer appears to be the Centro and Pixi crowd. HP will certainly monitor all this closely. And this will help in more accurately estimating production quantities for when HP ramps up their marketing campaign.

I'm looking forward to when all the ads takeoff in full force. We'll see then.

Hats off to rkerris for having well-tempered patience, and for listening to both the gripes and praises from the webOS community.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeedale View Post
    One of the more difficult tasks in bringing a product into the market is estimating production quantities in order to optimize cost.
    That is right, but I don't believe HP made some small starter quantities just to feel market pulse by blind-launching it into the wild.
    For God's sake, in majority of stores reps didn't know they have it in stock! In some stores reps never herd for Veer on launch day!
    And OK, lets pretend that HP took silent approach to see market demand, but how they will draw any conclusion if uninformed store reps do not offer and sell Veer to customers?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    HP probably decided that an expensive ad campaign for a smartphone that 80% of people would not consider buying would not be worth doing.
    You don't know that, we haven't seen any research that points to that conclusion either way. The sampling of reviews by the reviewers show a divergence of desire with some of them loving the small size and marveling at the engineering and also ease of webOS (WSJ for example, you can find the review on the front page of allthingsd). The PreCentral "survey" was not a representative sampling and was not even voted on by the full precentral community, only those that read that thread and then chose to vote.

Plus we don't even know-- if 20% of "people" would buy the phone--my guess is that might be a homerun, would be millions of people, whatever people means to you--all phone buyers? all smartphone buyers?.

Lately your comments have become wilder, I'm wondering if deep inside, you think webOS might succeed after all, you certainly hang around these forums a lot for someone who thinks webOS does not have a chance.
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/17/2011 at 06:55 AM.
    I just wish HP would at least buy some ads on precentral, so I wouldn't have to see that damn blackberry playbook popup everytime I go to precentral.net
    Last edited by jimijames; 05/17/2011 at 06:49 AM. Reason: done fixed me some bad grammer
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    You don't know that, we haven't seen any research that points to that conclusion either way. The sampling of reviews by the reviewers show a divergence of desire with some of them loving the small size and marveling at the engineering and also ease of webOS (WSJ for example, you can find the review on the front page of allthingsd). The PreCentral "survey" was not a representative sampling and was not even voted on by the full precentral community, only those that read that thread and then chose to vote.

Plus we don't even know-- if 20% of "people" would buy the phone--my guess is that might be a homerun, would be millions of people, whatever people means to you--all phone buyers? all smartphone buyers?.

Lately your comments have become wilder, I'm wondering if deep inside, you think webOS might succeed after all, you certainly hang around these forums a lot for someone who thinks webOS does not have a chance.
    You don't need research to reach every simple conclusion. The reviewers aren't dumbphone users, neither are the users in this forum.

Good luck on that survey of dumbphone users. They wouldn't know what you're talking about. How would you even explain webOS to them? Don't need that. Not interested. What..how much more a month would i pay? Forget that.

The few you do manage to get past that paranoia would need much more handholding than your average smartphone user. Carrier salesman won't push webOS devices to these dumbphone users who will never buy these online.

People aren't very techie in general but i'd expect dumbphone users to be particularly nontechie. These people are even less likely to see reviews or your emails & online ads.

Given that, it's hard to see why HP chose to target this particular segment. HP has little control over the in-store experience and does little to try to influence it. HP has poor brand recognition in phones if not negative at this point. A webOS device just isn't nearly as easy to use or manage as an iOS device. HP does little marketing to anyone much less dumbphone users.

On the front page though we see a neat little chart that rates passion somehow. WebOS supposedly has the most loyal passionate fans even if few in number. I can believe that since I'm still here :P Have any online poll? WebOS fans will flock in to win it.

How about targeting..oh i don't know..maybe those loyal fans? Should you be making phones for dumbphone users that would require too much precision marketing along with too many uncontrollable variables? Or perhaps trying to pull an Apple? Make a premium slab phone (keep the Pre too) and let these webOS fans go to work. This loyal base of fans is looking to convert people and do a lot of the work but they need some premium hardware to work with combined with some marketing 101.
    Last edited by cardfan; 05/17/2011 at 07:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You don't need research to reach every simple conclusion. The reviewers aren't dumbphone users, neither are the users in this forum.

Good luck on that survey of dumbphone users. They wouldn't know what you're talking about. How would you even explain webOS to them? Don't need that. Not interested. What..how much more a month would i pay? Forget that.
    So where is all that smartphone market coming from? From current smartphone users stocking up on the third, fourth, fifth phones? From an explosion in 10 year olds buying their first phones?

Its coming from dumbphone users being converted. HP has a shot at these users just as much as anyone else with the possible exclusion of Apple, and maybe more so than some, given the ease of webOS as compared to some other smartphone OS's.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimijames View Post
    I just wish HP would at least buy some ads on precentral, so I wouldn't have to see that damn blackberry playbook popup everytime I go to precentral.net
    Hahaha, of course they won't. No need to persuade us. HP knows we're their fans already. Instead, let's hope they're storming the iOS, Android, and Windows forums and sites.
    Last edited by zeedale; 05/17/2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Replaced "f&nboy". Didn't know it was a censored term. :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    If you didn't catch it, Richard hinted the big Veer advertising push may come with the Touchpad release. Makes sense since the Pre 3 release is slated for a couple of weeks after that, so let's lay off HP for now on this issue!

(Hope TTS on the Veer works as designed when the Touchpad and Veer ads hit!)
    Here's to the corny ad promoting how the touchpad and phones fit anybodies style.

"What size and would you like a touchpad with that?"

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  9.    #49  
    I think if the saleperson and dumbphone owner doesnt know about Veer, Veer will not win. I like Veer to win, atleast start trickling adds for Veer and get people's reaction if they like the adds or not, and then do an all out blitz with TP later.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    It makes no sense...so they will increase the advertising around the time the Touchpad is released? Brilliant move...if they want the Touchpad to fail. Tying your flagship product to an unknown, deficient phone is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmlongo View Post
    It makes no sense...so they will increase the advertising around the time the Touchpad is released? Brilliant move...if they want the Touchpad to fail. Tying your flagship product to an unknown, deficient phone is absurd.
    I'm sure the TouchPad won't be tied to the Veer alone, Pre 3 should be coming out around the same time or soon after the TouchPad Launch. Why blow a bunch of money advertising 1 device when waiting a little longer can net you 3 birds with 1 stone? or should I say 3 pigs with 1 bird?

In any event, this isn't HP's first rodeo, I'm sure they have a plan and know what they are doing. We just don't know what it is right now and it's easy to get frustrated over it.
    when HP first bought webOS, I heard tons of people were claiming how much money HP has and they will throw money on ad like crazy to promote webOS to the public. Now we are praising HP on saving money on ad by advertising all three devices at once? wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    when HP first bought webOS, I heard tons of people were claiming how much money HP has and they will throw money on ad like crazy to promote webOS to the public. Now we are praising HP on saving money on ad by advertising all three devices at once? wow.
    If they hold off on Veer advertising for a couple of weeks, what does it hurt? HP's well being isn't on the line based on Veer sales. If people don't know about it right now, so what. In a couple of weeks, when they do start advertising, it will be like it's a brand spanking new release only this time the stores should have decent quantities in stock and the reps should be more knowledgable on the device(s). Plus it's not like the Veer, Pre 3 and Touchpad are so different that they should be advertised seperately. Just because you have money, doesn't mean you should be spending like a wild man.

I think they are awaiting for the right moment and I think that moment will be around June, 6, give ro take a week.
    These threads are more interesting from a psychological perspective than any other.

It's amazing the conclusions people will jump to (and the angry vitriol they'll spew) without having any information on the goings-on inside HP, and in many cases without having the slightest clue about how business works on this scale. I see a bunch of armchair quarterbacking from a lot of "it's just plain common sense"-type folks, who are just the worst kind of people to have any intelligent debate with.

Arguments like these get us nowhere. They don't advance the webOS cause, and all they do is fuel derision and disagreements based on faulty data. Stop hurting PreCentral.
    Man, Veer is out "without having any information on the goings-on inside HP, and in many cases without having the slightest clue". This is a problem we are talking about
    What advertising?
    wait...Richard Kerris is posting in precentral forums? Seems like they at least halfway know what they're (HPalm) doing....
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Wait wut? There was advertising?
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123