Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Official Bug List Ė HP Veer

Tips for recording a great bug

1. Identify
    Proper identification of a bug is the most important thing when it comes to reporting a bug. If something happens only once is it really a bug? Itís also important to be able to know the different between expected behavior and unexpected behavior, sometimes things we perceive are bugs are not bugs at all, however when it doubt assume itís a bug.
    2. Isolate
    Take all other factors out of the equation. Although preware is likely not the issue, itís best to ensure a bug continues to appear with no software that could interfere
    3. Describe
    Others rely on what you say is a bug to attempt to replicate, and verify that it is a bug. Be descriptive, make sure you list enough information for someone else to come behind you and know exactly what you are talking about.
    4. Replicate
    So you found a bug and you have isolated, now itís time to replicate. Itís important to replicate the bug so you can document exact steps it takes to reproduce the bug. This is key for further testing.
    5. Verify
    Once you have replicated that is a bug verify, post it in the forums and let others attempt to make sure they see what you see, as others post bugs you can do the same.

Other key tips when filing your bug

1. Make your bug the first thing people see. The first line of your post should be the bug you have experienced.
    2. Donít write a wall of text. If there is a giant wall of text most people are just going to pass it by.
    3. Make sense and use proper grammar. Thatís not to say that we should all be 100 percent perfect English, but someone coming behind you shouldnít have a hard time reading what you wrote.
    4. Document, document, document. While avoiding number 2 you want to document as much information as you can

Questions to answer

The following questions are questions you can easily answer that are going to help discern as much as possible what the bug is.

1. Give a brief description of what happened.
    2. Do you receive any error messages?
    3. What are the expected results?
    4. What application exhibits the symptom?
    5. What account does the symptom appear in? (e.g. Facebook, Google etc)
    6. Have you downloaded an application outside of the App Catalog?
    a. If so, what application and where from?
    7. What are you doing when the issue happens?
    8. When did the symptom first appear?
    9. How frequently does the symptom occur?
    10. Can you tie the issue back to a specific action or does it appear to be random?
    11. Can you effectively replicate the issue?
    . List exact steps to replicate issue
    12. Is something else involved besides the webOS device? (e.g. Accessory/Computer/Wireless router)
    . Manufacturer :
    a. Model Number:
    b. Version / Revision:
    c. Year:
    13. Can HP contact you for further questions and or log files? (yes or no)***

***Further communication with HP would likely be through the private message feature in Precentral unless otherwise noted.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/16/2011 at 11:01 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Please Note:

This thread isn't for general chat.

We also aren't going to use if for general complaints and rants.

We're going to keep it clean, specific, and organized in order for HP to have easy access to confirmed bugs.

Keep your replies to either confirm a posted 'bug' by another member, or to list a possible new bug.

Please follow the criteria laid out in post #1 in both confirmations and posting of possible new bugs.

Thanks for your help and understanding.

P|C Staff,
    -Berd
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/16/2011 at 05:26 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Confirmed by more than one user:

<<Reserved>>
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/25/2011 at 07:10 PM.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Facebook sync failure.Facebook sync took in excess of 2 hours over HSPA and never completed. Cancelled sync and tried again after a few hours. "Syncing" notification vanished and I thought it was done, but then noticed that the sync never happened.

Woke up the next day to see the Facebook sync notification again. No measurable progress. Had to cancel to preserve battery life. Will try again over WiFi.

UPDATE: disabled https preference on my Facebook account via the settings page on a computer. Seems to have corrected the issue.

Bookmarks not present in browser. Same problem documented for some users on the Pre2. Bookmarks list is always empty, but bookmarks can be found through a Just Type search. I also had this problem on the Pre2, same profile. I think it's profile-related, somehow.

Flash performance inconsistent. Browser hung when returning to card view from a browser session with Flash video loading. Required a restart (hold power button and cycle ringer switch 3 times).

HP Veer, AT&T, 2.1.2, no homebrew or Preware. Long Island, NY. Palm profile is my old one, which I started on a Pre- in June 2009, and transferred to a Pre2 several months ago.
    Last edited by VCI_Cell; 05/17/2011 at 01:52 AM.
    Charging. If Veer shuts down on low-battery, and is then plugged in to a charger, the phone will charge briefly and power on - when webOS finishes booting, charging will stop. Cable needs to be removed and re-attached to continue charging process.

webOS 2.1.2, AT&T, stock.
  6.    #6  
    Sorry,

I should of mentioned in the first post that this thread isn't for general chat.

We also aren't going to use if for general complaints and rants.

We're going to keep it clean, specific, and organized in order for HP to have easy access to confirmed bugs.

Keep your replies to either confirm a posted 'bug' by another member, or to list a possible new bug.

Please follow the criteria laid out in post #1 in both confirmations and posting of possible new bugs.

Thanks for your help and understanding.

P|C Staff,
    -Berd
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 05/16/2011 at 05:23 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Facebook sync failure.Facebook sync took in excess of 2 hours over HSPA and never completed. Cancelled sync and tried again after a few hours. "Syncing" notification vanished and I thought it was done, but then noticed that the sync never happened.

Woke up the next day to see the Facebook sync notification again. No measurable progress. Had to cancel to preserve battery life. Will try again over WiFi.

UPDATE: disabled https preference on my Facebook account via the settings page on a computer. Seems to have corrected the issue.
    There are some inconsistency with SSL browsing and the new Facebook app and synergy this is being looked into to see what we can do to rectify the issue.
    Bookmarks not present in browser. Same problem documented for some users on the Pre2. Bookmarks list is always empty, but bookmarks can be found through a Just Type search. I also had this problem on the Pre2, same profile. I think it's profile-related, somehow.
    This sounds like it's profile related as it's extremely hard to reproduce I have seen reports of a partial erase resolving the issue, so I do find it odd that it carried over from one device to another.
    Flash performance inconsistent. Browser hung when returning to card view from a browser session with Flash video loading. Required a restart (hold power button and cycle ringer switch 3 times).

HP Veer, AT&T, 2.1.2, no homebrew or Preware. Long Island, NY. Palm profile is my old one, which I started on a Pre- in June 2009, and transferred to a Pre2 several months ago.
    Any sample sites you can over. I'd like to reproduce the issue and file a bug against this.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Charging. If Veer shuts down on low-battery, and is then plugged in to a charger, the phone will charge briefly and power on - when webOS finishes booting, charging will stop. Cable needs to be removed and re-attached to continue charging process.

webOS 2.1.2, AT&T, stock.
    After finally getting my Veer to die completely I have been unable to reproduce this issue. Can you reproduce easily or am I missing something?
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    There are some inconsistency with SSL browsing and the new Facebook app and synergy this is being looked into to see what we can do to rectify the issue.
    Facebook synergy issue seems to have been resolved after I disabled HTTPS on my FB account via a computer. Not an ideal solution by any means, but it worked.

This sounds like it's profile related as it's extremely hard to reproduce I have seen reports of a partial erase resolving the issue, so I do find it odd that it carried over from one device to another.
    I know there are several people here on P|C with this issue on their Pre2s ... I hope it's being looked into. Wish I could help on reproducing it, because it's quite annoying.

Any sample sites you can over. I'd like to reproduce the issue and file a bug against this.
    Sure. Using the Veer's browser, go to spacevidcast.com and tap on the Flash object at the top of the page. It will load a live video window and a UStream chat box next to it.

The problem seems to start when the Google Ad tries to play. I just did this now, and the Veer just stopped for about 3 minutes. Couldn't return to card view, couldn't "X" out of the Flash controls ... device unresponsive. Finally, after 3 minutes or so, the card minimized. I threw it away - the card hung out, half-tossed-away at the top of the screen for about another 25 seconds, before finally closing.

This was over WiFi after a fresh restart.

Might be a case of just too much Flash crap for such a little device, I dunno ... but it was a pain when I was trying to watch the shuttle launch yesterday. Nasa.gov's TV worked fine though.
    Last edited by VCI_Cell; 05/17/2011 at 02:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    After finally getting my Veer to die completely I have been unable to reproduce this issue. Can you reproduce easily or am I missing something?
    I'll try to run this little guy all the way down to zero again today (it's hard!) and try to reproduce. So far it's happened to me twice.

New Bugs

• Text message & email alerts not sounding/appearing. The Messaging card is minimized in card view, and I can see new messages appear inside the card, but I receive no notification in the notification area, and no sound. Same with email card. This happened after about 20 hours of up-time. A restart corrected the problem.
    • Email refresh button is inconsistent. Sometimes a tap will force a refresh, and sometimes a tap does nothing. The tap is definitely registering - this is not a touchscreen issue.
    • Data connection sometimes goes off during standby. I woke the device yesterday to find three bars of service, but no H+ (or E) data symbol. After a few minutes, the data returned and I got my emails, etc. I awoke this morning to find my WiFi indicator dark. When I cycled WiFi on and off, I got a slew of emails, etc.
    • WiFi hotspot list does not appear in drop down menu. This may be a "feature," but available hotspots no longer appear in the drop-down system menu at upper right when WiFi is enabled. Only the currently-connected hotspot is shown.
    • SMS sending delay. When the "send" button is pressed in the SMS app, the app hangs until the SMS finishes sending. Phone cannot do anything for between 2-5 seconds.

That's all for now!
    Last edited by VCI_Cell; 05/17/2011 at 02:12 PM.
    I'll try to run this little guy all the way down to zero again today (it's hard!) and try to reproduce. So far it's happened to me twice.

New Bugs

• Text message & email alerts not sounding/appearing. The Messaging card is minimized in card view, and I can see new messages appear inside the card, but I receive no notification in the notification area, and no sound. Same with email card. This happened after about 20 hours of up-time. A restart corrected the problem.
    • Email refresh button is inconsistent. Sometimes a tap will force a refresh, and sometimes a tap does nothing. The tap is definitely registering - this is not a touchscreen issue.
    • Data connection sometimes goes off during standby. I woke the device yesterday to find three bars of service, but no H+ (or E) data symbol. After a few minutes, the data returned and I got my emails, etc. I awoke this morning to find my WiFi indicator dark. When I cycled WiFi on and off, I got a slew of emails, etc.
    • WiFi hotspot list does not appear in drop down menu. This may be a "feature," but available hotspots no longer appear in the drop-down system menu at upper right when WiFi is enabled. Only the currently-connected hotspot is shown.
    • SMS sending delay. When the "send" button is pressed in the SMS app, the app hangs until the SMS finishes sending. Phone cannot do anything for between 2-5 seconds.

That's all for now!
    Can you minimize the sms app while its sending?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Can you minimize the sms app while its sending?
    No:

Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell
    Phone cannot do anything for between 2-5 seconds.
    Facebook sync failure. Facebook sync took in excess of 2 hours over HSPA and never completed. Cancelled sync and tried again after a few hours. "Syncing" notification vanished and I thought it was done, but then noticed that the sync never happened.

having the same issue with fb sync. my https preference is already not checked. not sure what my next step should be. will try again in the morning.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 05/18/2011 at 09:21 AM.
    ^ Give it a shot over WiFi, if you haven't already.
    will do. thanks.
    ^ Sure thing! I also read, over on the Palm support forums, that the FB sync activities actually continue beyond the time the notification is present. So if you remove the Facebook account, give it an hour or so after it says it's done, then replace the account - might want to make it an overnight activity.

New bug:

The swipe-down-from-upper-right system menu has been inaccessible to me for the past few hours. Uptime = approx. 15-17 hours. It's not a hung system or a failed touchscreen sector or anything like that (verified by UI touch "splashes" when I tap on the signal meter). The menu just refuses to appear.

Hardware Issue:

Not sure if this is unique to me, but my iPhone/iPod Touch headphones do not work when plugged in to the magnetic adapter. The Palm earbuds from my Pre2 work fine, though. Seems to me if this thing is going to be particular about what earbuds it takes, HP should ship earbuds with the device, hmm?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

New Bugs

That's all for now!
    I have experienced all of these same issues... just to confirm what VCI is putting out there - and these are significant. I restarted at least four times yesterday because I was getting no notifications on email/text... sometimes because it just wasn't alerting, sometimes because I think in an effort to save battery it looked like the cell data was being shut off while the screen was shut down.
    Quote Originally Posted by rootdude View Post
    I have experienced all of these same issues... just to confirm what VCI is putting out there - and these are significant. I restarted at least four times yesterday because I was getting no notifications on email/text... sometimes because it just wasn't alerting, sometimes because I think in an effort to save battery it looked like the cell data was being shut off while the screen was shut down.
    Thanks for confirming some of this! I just restarted my Veer (as part of a Preware install via WOSQI), and just ten minutes later, once again I've lost my audio notifications for email and text. This time, the dashboard notifications are appearing.

This is one of those bugs that needs to be corrected before the Veer gets a wide release.

Gonna go report it over at the Palm Support Forums ...

EDIT:

Additional Bug:

This isn't a new one (it started in 2.0, I think), but when you're scrolling in a list within an app (Facebook or Twitter or Engadget, for example) and there are links in the list, you accidentally trigger the links (launching a browser card) far more often than is normal. It appears webOS 2.x can't differentiate between taps and drags when it comes to links within apps.
  19.    #19  
    Thanks for confirming some of this! I just restarted my Veer (as part of a Preware install via WOSQI), and just ten minutes later, once again I've lost my audio notifications for email and text. This time, the dashboard notifications are appearing.

This is one of those bugs that needs to be corrected before the Veer gets a wide release.

Gonna go report it over at the Palm Support Forums ...

EDIT:

Additional Bug:

This isn't a new one (it started in 2.0, I think), but when you're scrolling in a list within an app (Facebook or Twitter or Engadget, for example) and there are links in the list, you accidentally trigger the links (launching a browser card) far more often than is normal. It appears webOS 2.x can't differentiate between taps and drags when it comes to links within apps.
    I'd like to update my "Confirmed" post.

Which bugs that you have listed so far have been confirmed by more than one user?

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    Rootdude confirmed some of mine in post #17 above, but no other Veer owners seem to be interested in this thread ...
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast