Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Hi, I am new to webOS and kind of like the veer but I certainly need a unlocked phone. I just spend to much time in Europe. How easy is it to unlock webOS phones and particularly the veer? Is it legal? What's with the guarantee?
    An alternative would be get the phone from Germany. Some people mentioned that the phone is 300 Euro over there. Any more detailed information on that?

Thanks!
    Arrangements have been made to get a Veer to JCI/Nextgen right away so an Unlock solution can be offered ASAP. Stay tuned to PreCentral for more details. GuyFromNam and I will be coordinating this effort next week.

btw if you buy the unlocked German Veer, you will not have 3G (fake 4G) here in the USA. It supports EU 3G frequencies, not North American.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 05/14/2011 at 05:58 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    sounds great, thanks! I used to have an old unlocked iphone (which broke months ago). Is the whole procedure 'easier' because I don't have to first jailbreak the phone? Do I have to go through the process again when a new webos version comes out? How long does it usually take for you to come up with a solution?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by greg.hoch View Post
    sounds great, thanks! I used to have an old unlocked iphone (which broke months ago). Is the whole procedure 'easier' because I don't have to first jailbreak the phone? Do I have to go through the process again when a new webos version comes out? How long does it usually take for you to come up with a solution?

Thanks!
    No you don't need to unlock Web-OS devices every new verison after they are unlocked . They are unlocked using the network subsidy unlock code. That's permenent unless you send the device to Palm/HP for serivce and they send it back to you locked.

"We" don't come up with this type of solution. The company providing this service is independent. Nextgen Server Home of Remote Phone Unlock, Treo, Blackberry Unlock Code Server, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, HTC, Huawei, USB Modem, Unlock your cell phone to any network in real time online.

"We" as members of the webOS community often band together, pool resources, whatever to help move processes like this along. In this case it will be getting each of the new round of devices over to JIC/Nextgen right away as they are released so they can create a viable (and marketable) unlock solution they can sell along with their other services.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 05/14/2011 at 06:10 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Any update on when the unlock is available? My Veer gets to Canada in a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Arrangements have been made to get a Veer to JCI/Nextgen right away so an Unlock solution can be offered ASAP. Stay tuned to PreCentral for more details. GuyFromNam and I will be coordinating this effort next week.

btw if you buy the unlocked German Veer, you will not have 3G (fake 4G) here in the USA. It supports EU 3G frequencies, not North American.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post

Is the reverse also true?
    If a US Veer is taken to EU is it setup with EU band 3G or just US?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Is the reverse also true?
    If a US Veer is taken to EU is it setup with EU band 3G or just US?

I would be interested in the same question. If I buy an att veer in the us, unlock it (with the hopefully forthcoming unlock) and take it to Europe, can I use the phone over there?

Also, do I need to be in the US to unlock? I know, the unlock is not available at this point. But maybe someone can tell from past experience. I am just asking because I might fly to Europe for some time before an unlock becomes available so that I would like to unlock it over there once the solution becomes available.
    I would be interested in the same question. If I buy an att veer in the us, unlock it (with the hopefully forthcoming unlock) and take it to Europe, can I use the phone over there?
    The AT&T Veer sold in the US suports the following bands:
    GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900
    UMTS: 850, 1900, 2100
    Thus it looks like the AT&T Veer should be good for 3G pretty much everywhere in the world, including Europe & Asia, except for a select few networks that use 900Mhz for UMTS. It is really sad that the Pre 3 will not have the tri-band UMTS radio and will be crippled like the Pre & Pre 2. One would have thought that with HP we would have gotten rid of the myopic local centric view of Palm, but unfortunately the only changes HP has actually made are pretty much the good things rather than the negatives of Palm.

Also, do I need to be in the US to unlock? I know, the unlock is not available at this point. But maybe someone can tell from past experience. I am just asking because I might fly to Europe for some time before an unlock becomes available so that I would like to unlock it over there once the solution becomes available.
    No, you do not need to be in the US to unlock the phone. Unlocking of the phone is done using your PC and can be done from anywhere in the world. It is only the first time activation/profile creation that needs to be done in the US for access to the US app catalog.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 05/19/2011 at 02:46 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Thank you Sanjay for the information!

I'm still not totally sure how the activation works and what consequences it has. You say the unlock can be done anywhere in the world but the activation is tied to the access of the app catalog.

I plan to buy a touchpad and a veer (or pre3) but don't live in the USA and not even in Europe. I currently live in China and I am thinking about the best way of how to buy the gear and how to handle that activation. What is necessary for the activation? And what would be the optimal way for this?

Would it work if I buy it in Germany, ask a friend to activate it for me (if that's possible) and then send the device to China, I unlock it here (if necessary because it might work anyway?) and then have access to the German app catalog?

The world is big and confusing and I hope I can figure this out because I don't want to be stuck with a Chinese app catalog access...

Thank you for any insight that you guys have on this!
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Thus it looks like the AT&T Veer should be good for 3G pretty much everywhere in the world, including Europe & Asia, except for a select few networks that use 900Mhz for UMTS. It is really sad that the Pre 3 will not have the tri-band UMTS radio and will be crippled like the Pre & Pre 2. One would have thought that with HP we would have gotten rid of the myopic local centric view of Palm, but unfortunately the only changes HP has actually made are pretty much the good things rather than the negatives of Palm.

No, you do not need to be in the US to unlock the phone. Unlocking of the phone is done using your PC and can be done from anywhere in the world. It is only the first time activation/profile creation that needs to be done in the US for access to the US app catalog.
    Still doesn't work on wind mobile in canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post

Any source saying it does indeed support 2100?

Everywhere I read says it's 850/1900 only.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    HP Veer | webOS smartphone
    Go to Tech Spec
    HSPDA Cat 10/HSUPA Cat 6
    Tri band UMTS: 850/1900/2100
    Quad-band GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE
    Very interesting. So I guess Palm finally listened and made a true world phone.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Very interesting. So I guess Palm finally listened and made a true world phone.
    Most of the world phone. You'd need 900MHz UMTS as well now to make it a true world phone.
    What if someone from the USA decides they can live with the qwertz kb and chooses to buy the O2 Germany Veer, isn't it tri-band UTMS and doesn't it come already unlocked?

If both answers are yes, then it should take an AT&T SIM card and the device will have 3G in North America right out of the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendikins View Post
    Most of the world phone. You'd need 900MHz UMTS as well now to make it a true world phone.
    I was under the impression 900MHz was only recently approved by GSMA to recycle for UMTS. I don't even see a lot of commercial deployments on UMTS 900. I know in Hong Kong only one of the five carriers have UMTS 900 and it only launched with the iPhone 4. Also only a handful of countries in Europe opened up for that as well.

iPhone since the 3G and 3GS sold worldwide and was always tri-band UMTS 850/1900/2100 and it works reasonably well.

I was under the impression 900MHz was only recently approved by GSMA to recycle for UMTS. I don't even see a lot of commercial deployments on UMTS 900. I know in Hong Kong only one of the five carriers have UMTS 900 and it only launched with the iPhone 4. Also only a handful of countries in Europe opened up for that as well.

iPhone since the 3G and 3GS sold worldwide and was always tri-band UMTS 850/1900/2100 and it works reasonably well.
    Both Optus and Vodafone in Australia have deployed 900MHz UMTS, and have done so for some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendikins View Post
    Both Optus and Vodafone in Australia have deployed 900MHz UMTS, and have done so for some time.
    That's one market. One would argue that doesn't quite scale and give reason to put it on all the phones yet.

At least not until it's economically feasible to integrate the antenna design and the the increased cost of quad-band vs tri-band.

But my point really is, in that department Palm is just lacking. When everyone starts enabling tri-band and slowly moving to quad band, Palm is just getting tri-band. Nokia is already moving to pentaband.

Yep, the words 'Global' and 'World' have a different meaning to HP/Palm than they do to the people who actually live in the non-US parts of the world.

-- Rod
    But my point really is, in that department Palm is just lacking. When everyone starts enabling tri-band and slowly moving to quad band, Palm is just getting tri-band. Nokia is already moving to pentaband.
    Palm has always been quite retarxxx in this aspect and have been to a great extent mostly US centric. What is really sad, is that so far it seems that HP is no better. This is specially dissapointing, considering the worldwide presence of HP in other aspects of their business.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast