Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    Verizon
    VZW store 1-
    Greeter guy meets me right inside store with a tablet in hand. Flagship store, very busy on weekends. Blank look when I mentioned TouchPad or Pre3, never heard of them. When I mentioned Pre2, he said "we don't carry those." I pressed him further, he didn't know anything about VZW online carrying the Pre2 (but his snooty manner lessened slightly).

    VZW store 2-
    Pleasant guy, taking a break outside the store, we get into a chat. Smaller store, may be franchise. Guy didn't know anything about TouchPad, Pre3. Was enthused about Blackberry Playbook, felt it could sell and was waiting for it to arrive, especially as felt the new Blackberry phone was "touch" and could do better than the old phones. Got the impression he saw me as potential Blackberry customer. Mentioned also the Samsung tablet in a positive light (seemed to me a good salesperson trying to talk up products he had that I might like).
    Think he knew a little about the Veer and ATT but not much. Listened closely as I told him why I like webOS. Told him that I heard the devices were being given out this weekend to the celebs at Cannes. He marveled at that.
    For himself, he loves android, his face lit up when I brought it up. We could not talk longer as he was called inside the store (he may be the manager, I'm not sure). Pleasant guy and I would buy from him in a heartbeat vs the larger VZW store a few blocks away.

    Conclusion: The street really does not know at all about new HP products. If VZW is getting the Pre3 (and TouchPad) soon, HP has its work cut out for it to educate the salesforce. I wonder if HP is waiting for TouchPad debut to get some awareness about its products and is allowing a short moment in the sun for ATT to have the combo tablet/phone before anyone else.

    Sprint
    Guy did not know anything about new Palm or HP phones and tablets. He asked his manager who said definitively that Sprint is not getting either device.
    Guy was nice all around, humble and helpful, way less snooty than VZW1 guy.

    Conclusion: If Sprint is getting the Pre3 phone in June and not VZW, it seems like it was a recent development and a lot will need to be done to educate the sales force. Guy did not mention to me Blackberry Playbook or Samsung tablet so perhaps if HP goes to Sprint this summer, it will have less competition than VZW stores.

    ATT
    Has the Veer in boxes at back. Counter guy did not know this until he checked. Manager guy knew about the Veer and the TouchPad, pantomined with his hand putting the Veer on top of the TouchPad leaving me to believe he got some training. Said ATT would not get the Pre3, seemed pretty clear about it and I said "because you would have heard about if you were as you are getting the TouchPad in less than a month?" He nodded yes.
    Conclusion: ATT will not get the Pre3 in June so it must be Sprint or VZW as Kerris said Pre3 will come in June.
    June Pre3 deal may be very recently concluded. ATT training is still spotty as the counter guy did not know about the Veer, one day before release even when boxes were sitting in back.

    postscript:
    BestBuy--mobile guy did not know Veer existed.

    RadioShack--knows the Pre3 exists and knows the carrier has not been announced so he doesn't know whether RadioShack will yet carry Pre3 or TouchPad.

    Of the entire group, RadioShack guy seemed like he had his ears open most to the ground for Palm
    Last edited by bluenote; 05/14/2011 at 03:12 PM.
  2. #2  
    I think ATT and Verizon will get the Pre 3. Why else would they have passed a GSM and a CDMA version through the FCC?
  3.    #3  
    Yes, the issue with the CDMA version is who is getting it and when.

    With the GSM version, I believe the ATT manager that ATT is not getting it in June. He was a solid guy in charge of inventory and like I said, he put one hand on top of the other hand which was face up to show how the Veer sits on top of the TouchPad, someone must have shown him how it works in person. So GSM is a mystery, perhaps it comes up a few months later, I don't know.

    That leaves me to think VZW or Sprint gets the Pre3 in June.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Yes, the issue with the CDMA version is who is getting it and when.

    With the GSM version, I believe the ATT manager that ATT is not getting it in June. He was a solid guy in charge of inventory and like I said, he put one hand on top of the other hand which was face up to show how the Veer sits on top of the TouchPad, someone must have shown him how it works in person. So GSM is a mystery, perhaps it comes up a few months later, I don't know.

    That leaves me to think VZW or Sprint gets the Pre3 in June.
    because there are other places with GSM.
  5. #5  
    My experiences with Verizon have been better. My local store had the pre 2 in stock and on display, and while the lady I talked to was more of an android person, she recognized that a certain userbase liked webOS products and was okay with that. Then when I activated the pre 2 I got on ebay over the phone, the guy I talked to seemed pretty aware of webOS and the stuff that was gonna be coming out. Of course he had no official word on the Pre 3 coming to the network, but he knew it existed and was looking forward to seeing how it would turn out.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    because there are other places with GSM.
    GSM Pre 3 could appear first in North America on Rogers Canada, or Telcel Mexico, which in addition to AT&T also use 850/1900 for 3G ...

    btw: Telcel Mexico was the first carrier to offer the original GSM Pre in North America ......

    TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 05/14/2011 at 03:17 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  7. #7  
    I like your story. But just bc none or some knew something or nothing really means nothing. I would lay money down that everyone will get the Pre 3. The Pre 3 passed through the FCC with AT&T bands almost ensuring a AT&T delivery; likely late June but it can go other GSM locales in addition to America. The Pre 3 will prolly arrive in late July on Verizon and maybe Sprint. I'm only guessing based on what I've read on Precentral. But I would take my educated guess of a store rep or manager any day. Alot times those people don't know about what they'll get until a week or so before launch.
    Last edited by playboy; 05/14/2011 at 03:36 PM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  8.    #8  
    I disagree on this one because the ATT manager likely received training. If they were training him--ie paying him to go somewhere or paying someone to visit him--seems most efficient to also train him on the Pre3 or at least tell him about it. He seemed pretty definitive that it was not coming to ATT (perhaps even they told him about its existence and that ATT was not getting it).
    Doesn't preclude ATT getting it at some point, just not the near future.

    Posts previous to yours said those GSM bands fit other carriers, makes sense that HP would try to launch in other countries in NA around the same time as USA.
  9. #9  
    Does everyone here forget that Rogers Canada and Telcel Mexico also use 850 and 1900 MHz for 3G, or is it common belief the Pre 3 GSM wouldn't show up in those country's first?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  10. DukeL's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Does everyone here forget that Rogers Canada and Telcel Mexico also use 850 and 1900 MHz for 3G, or is it common belief the Pre 3 GSM wouldn't show up in those country's first?
    If I remember right it was a long time before people were actually able to get the Telcel pre to work on at&t though, due to some activation issues or something of that sort cant remember exactly. I do remember since I live in San Diego so close to the Mexico border I was trying to get my hands on a Telcel model pre plus but whenever I read on Precentral people weren't able to get it up and running so I kinda gave up.
  11. satchmo82's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    #11  
    My wife and I are both Pre- owners. She recently had to have her phone replaced twice and I for the first time (and I was an early adopter in July of 09).

    During our talks with the tech at the local Sprint store while having our phones replaced, we got to talking about the issues that they've had with the Pre-. He did not bad-mouth the Pre but did mention that they've had more than their fair share of replacements/repairs on the devices. We then got to talking about the Pre3. He said that he was fairly confident that they would be getting the Pre3 although he had no data to back this up (nothing in their computer system). He said that he expects to have something soon coming down from HQ about tech training on the device.

    Since my 2 years is up I asked him about other devices. He was fairly keen on the Nexus S and thought that if there wasn't a Pre3 that we might like going to that. However, he didn't seem to try to pressure any particular device on us. He just seemed to think that device might be a reasonable "swap".

    When talking about the potential of the Touchpad he was a little less positive but didn't go so far to say that it wouldn't happen; more that he just really didn't have any information at all.

    I will say that in our dealings with this particular store they've always been VERY professional and helpful. This particular tech gave me his card and asked that I keep in contact with him about the Pre3 and Touchpad.

    Fingers crossed...cautiously optimistic.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dukel View Post
    If I remember right it was a long time before people were actually able to get the Telcel pre to work on at&t though, due to some activation issues or something of that sort cant remember exactly. I do remember since I live in San Diego so close to the Mexico border I was trying to get my hands on a Telcel model pre plus but whenever I read on Precentral people weren't able to get it up and running so I kinda gave up.
    Yes, you are correct. We had a heck of a time trying to get a locked Telcel Pre unlocked to work on AT&T using a Rebel SIM card. The Nextgen process has made the unlocking process a whole lot easier to accomplish for those devices. Stay tuned to PreCentral.net for information as it becomes available about unlocking the Veer and later the Pre 3 after they are released. There are plans already in the works!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  13.    #13  
    Since I first opened this thread, intelligence has come out to suggest the following:

    1) VZW getting the Pre3. Its in the FCC tests, we've seen pictures of it and now VZW is updating 1.45.1 which I am convinced they would not spend money and manpower doing unless they were already involved with HP in testing another device.

    2) AT&T--I'm sticking with my prior posts that AT&T is not getting the Pre3 based on the air of certainty by the AT&T manager who seemed very credible (see opening post). Perhaps another GSM carrier in NA as mentioned above

    3) Sprint. I have my doubts on this. The carriers seem to like exclusivity and I doubt the Pre3 would launch both on VZW and Sprint despite HP's desire.
    Still hoping the slab device gets onto Sprint, its in their interest to participate if only to appeal to a wider subscriber base. If the Pre3 is not "4G", that might be another reason why Sprint would hold back as customers may not wish to pay the extra $10 monthly.

    edit: if not on Sprint, would be in HP interest to hold back carrier knowledge until the last possible minute so as to avoid negative backlash from the mostly Sprint-based enthusiasts in this forum right before the Pre3 launches.
  14. #14  
    My question is this how many customers does Sprint lose by not carring the new HP phones? I have seen several posts that state they will take their business to ATT&T or Verizon including myself. Is this in the thousands and if this is true they will never get these customers back.

    Just my two cents worth.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    because there are other places with GSM.
    but not with the US GSM frequency bands and why clear the US FCC if it was NOT going to be released in the US??

    I know you cantaffordit but I always thought you canunderstandit
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Does everyone here forget that Rogers Canada and Telcel Mexico also use 850 and 1900 MHz for 3G, or is it common belief the Pre 3 GSM wouldn't show up in those country's first?
    Yes, but why the US FCC certification if you are not going to sell the device in the US?
  17.    #17  
    I just realized--of course ATT manager I spoke with got face-to-face training. There were those local Veer launch parties the first week of May. The party organizers (HP/ATT) probably told him at that point about the Pre3 (and said that it was not coming to ATT). This would account for his definite "no" without hesitation when I spoke with him. He spoke as if he knew what it was.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    edit: if not on Sprint, would be in HP interest to hold back carrier knowledge until the last possible minute so as to avoid negative backlash from the mostly Sprint-based enthusiasts in this forum right before the Pre3 launches.
    This makes sense! It easily explains HP's caution and lateness in releasing carrier information. They would need to wait until a deal with Sprint is finalized on a newer phone so they can release its details when they give the Pre3 carrier info.

    It sucks to have to rationalize a company's seemingly poor decisions....
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  19. justen's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #19  
    Countless experience has taught me that telephone and retail sales representatives and managers know very, very little about device launches in advance. (Sadly, this knowledge gap often extends even beyond launch as your experiences here have shown you.) Beyond a few weeks prior to launch, they tend to only hear the same rumors that we hear. That's assuming they care, and most do not.

    A very, very small number of folks know where the Pre 3 will be heading to and when. I simply do not believe it's reasonable to assume that any AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint store representatives or managers fall into that category. Regardless of that fact, the the speculation is inviting. And that's all we can do at this point.
  20.    #20  
    As I said earlier, the AT&T manager received training so I believe he was given the right information at that time.

    For Sprint, I called billing this morning and there is no HP Pre 3 in the system for launching next month although there are countless Android phones.
    Sprint Chat says the same.

    I take their knowledge with a grain of salt as I suppose the phone could be entered into the system but so far we have seen evidence of Verizon with the FCC and the pictures in the wild so I am doubtful on Sprint. Makes more sense to hold it back from the boards so we don't all leave.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions