Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    wow to the OP.... You sure have a lot of spare time on ur hands...
    I was away from home in South Carolina for the Veer launch. They were all closed on Sunday, stopped in to an AT&T store Monday to check out the Veer. They didn't have one on the floor, but one of the lead sales guys came over and clearly thought I knew nothing about webOS, and just talked my ear off about how great webOS is, but how he really is hoping for better hardware running it. He said he likes the Veer, but it's too small for him, and most customers coming in want a bigger screen, so it's a tough sell. He informed me that the store would have one on display, but their walls were full, and they had to take down one of their current displays (later in the week) before they could put the Veer out.

He then said that he wished there had been an AT&T Pre3 through the FCC, but that there had only been the "Verizon" phone through. I informed him that this was incorrect, that a GSM Pre3 with AT&T's bands was through the FCC, but he didn't seem to want to listen to anything I said, he just kept talking. But he was very upbeat and positive about webOS, hoping that he could get a phone with a bigger screen soon running it, so that he could recommend it to customers looking at the big screen Android phones. This was certainly a pleasant surprise.

Went to a local Sprint store (they are a corporate store, and a repair center - I know some of these get test devices, at least with Android) and had a convo with one of their associates, who still uses an original Pre as his phone. He said he knew of no plans to bring a new webOS device to Sprint, and that he is sad because he is going to have to update soon, and it looks like he will have to move on. Something I reluctantly did a while ago. Either way, I am (likely) switching to Verizon soon, but I am making the switch to let LTE replace cable as my internet connection, so no Pre3 for me.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    I was away from home in South Carolina for the Veer launch. They were all closed on Sunday, stopped in to an AT&T store Monday to check out the Veer. They didn't have one on the floor, but one of the lead sales guys came over and clearly thought I knew nothing about webOS, and just talked my ear off about how great webOS is, but how he really is hoping for better hardware running it. He said he likes the Veer, but it's too small for him, and most customers coming in want a bigger screen, so it's a tough sell. He informed me that the store would have one on display, but their walls were full, and they had to take down one of their current displays (later in the week) before they could put the Veer out.

He then said that he wished there had been an AT&T Pre3 through the FCC, but that there had only been the "Verizon" phone through. I informed him that this was incorrect, that a GSM Pre3 with AT&T's bands was through the FCC, but he didn't seem to want to listen to anything I said, he just kept talking. But he was very upbeat and positive about webOS, hoping that he could get a phone with a bigger screen soon running it, so that he could recommend it to customers looking at the big screen Android phones. This was certainly a pleasant surprise.

Went to a local Sprint store (they are a corporate store, and a repair center - I know some of these get test devices, at least with Android) and had a convo with one of their associates, who still uses an original Pre as his phone. He said he knew of no plans to bring a new webOS device to Sprint, and that he is sad because he is going to have to update soon, and it looks like he will have to move on. Something I reluctantly did a while ago. Either way, I am (likely) switching to Verizon soon, but I am making the switch to let LTE replace cable as my internet connection, so no Pre3 for me.
    *** thanks. Wish it weren't so but signs are pointing this way.
    Perhaps Sprint would get the next phone after the Pre3 if HP releases.
    5323 W. Centinela Los Angeles.

Sprint customer here. I went to the att store check out the veer. It was in the middle of the store next to a pixi. It was powered on but the screen was stuck on a grey screen. I could see time/airplane mode etc but nothing worked. I left after 5mins. There were about 12 ppl in the store. Reps were busy handling current att customer issues.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just stopped by the AT&T store to see if they had the Veer. It was displayed on the floor and the sales person actually spoke highly of it, though did mention that they haven't sold any. It is amazing how small it is, a little too small for my wishes, but still shows off WebOS well. 2.1.2 was the OS version and it was very quick and the new features were pretty impressive. This was a pleasant experience in contrast with dealing with my Verizon store just a short distance away. I think I am leaning more to the Pre3 if it comes out this summer, assuming that Verizon will be offering it. I hope that the Veer finds a following.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
  6.    #26  
    Thanks Divigilante and TimBoch.
    You may wish to post your experiences with Veer
    in this thread below:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...re-veer-4.html
    Tried to get our hands on a Veer today... no phones on display at the AT&T store we went to (weren't going to wait in line to ask as we are not AT&T subscribers). Checked the Radio Shack in the same shopping mall, and they had none (spoke to someone there).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Personally, I don't believe the AT&T manager. The Pre 3 passed AT&T bands, on AT&T, first. I think it's pretty clear that the Pre 3 is coming to AT&T and VZW. Sprint? We'll see.

Another thing that has me believing that manager is wrong is all of the work AT&T is doing hosting webOS sessions. You don't go through all of that trouble if all you are carrying is the niche product, which Veer is. You do that if you are carrying a flagship product, which will likely be both the Touchpad and Pre 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Personally, I don't believe the AT&T manager. The Pre 3 passed AT&T bands, on AT&T, first. I think it's pretty clear that the Pre 3 is coming to AT&T and VZW. Sprint? We'll see.

Another thing that has me believing that manager is wrong is all of the work AT&T is doing hosting webOS sessions. You don't go through all of that trouble if all you are carrying is the niche product, which Veer is. You do that if you are carrying a flagship product, which will likely be both the Touchpad and Pre 3.
    Agreed!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  10.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post

He said TouchPad is coming now so the combo would be TouchPad and Veer. It could well be ATT upper mgt have already agreed for Pre3 but if so, I would be guessing, based on the mgr's feedback, it would not be immediate (perhaps Sept-Nov? The Pre3 now only has 8 gigs, making it easy to issue later a pre3plus version with more storage, thus giving exclusivity again.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    The Pre3 now only has 8 gigs, making it easy to issue later a pre3plus version with more storage, thus giving exclusivity again.)
    Not true, according to the Tech Specs page (HP Pre3 | Business Smartphone, Business Mobile Phones), you can "choose from 8GB or 16GB internal storage."
  12.    #33  
    Redux:
    stopped by same AT&T stores and VZW stores today

AT&T: Veer sitting on a shelf, very well-cared for. There is no lock on the phone. There are a few cards up, among them a card showing how to use webOS and one for the Veer. There are 6 notifications in the lower right.
    AT&T guy comes up to me almost right away. He tells me "its a nice little phone" and "oh yeah, we are selling a lot of these."
    Woot.
    He doesn't know anything about a Pre3 and was vague also about release date for the TouchPad (his manager knew clearly about the TouchPad last time and is probably waiting to introduce the device to his staff when it arrives).
    This is way more encouraging than what I expected.

VZW:
    Store1: snotty guy greeter from prior visit has been replaced by lovely woman greeter this time. she doesn't know anything about the Pre, says the store gets notice about 2 weeks prior to when devices arrive. Says also if its not a hot phone, sometimes they get little notice or don't even get the phone in their store.

Store2: doesn't know anything about Pre, Palm or HP. Guys are nice.
    I stopped to look at the iphone, kept on forgetting to press the home button to get out of the one app at a time view. VZW guy comes over to me and asks me if I need help, which impressed me. Still liking this store over flagship VZW#1.

Sprint: I didn't even bother, I just walked by.

RadioShack: knows nothing

I'll have an additional update tomorrow when I go to BestBuy.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12