Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's the review:

HP Veer 4G review -- Engadget
    It's a very nice review. In some ways, it's even more complimentary than the P|C review. Kind of an interesting contrast with the Topolsky review.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    They gave it a 6/10 with one negative being available apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Engadget
    The Good
    Speedy webOS experience
    Tiny and cute
    Responsive, durable touchscreen
    The Bad
    Petite frame isn't for everyone
    Sub-par camera
    Poor selection of apps
    the same 800MHz Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM7230 you'll find in the likes of the T-Mobile G2 -- and 512MB of RAM, but we've used "faster" Android devices that didn't feel nearly this fluid
    Makes me wonder how fast the Pre 3 will be?
    That... was a great review.

People may or may not disagree with the numbers score... I personally think anywhere from 3-8 is appropriate, but that's because it's so hard to use a single number to rate a device like the Veer. As Engadget, and many others have said, it's a specific phone, with specific purposes, for specific people. If it's for you, you'll think it should be an 8. If you think it's too small, you'll think it's a 3.

More important the number score, however, is the actual worded review by Engadget. It's relatively comprehensive, ridicules the cons while praising the pros, doesn't pretend to know how well it will sell, and reviews the device for what it is.
  6.    #6  
    They were completely fair in this review. The items they weren't thrilled with made sense, but they really liked it over all. If the rumor is true that HP is releasing apps to the catalog for the launch - it will definitely help fix one of the missing pieces. Good review
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    It's a very nice review. In some ways, it's even more complimentary than the P|C review. Kind of an interesting contrast with the Topolsky review.
    The majority of the reviews are a 'interesting' contrast to Josh Top's review. After reading all of the reviews i've come to two conclusions. JT either had a seriously flawed phone or his personal perferences & bias got in the way of reviewing the phone for what it is, which didn't seem to be hard for the other reviewers.

The good thing for HP is that if someone interested in the Veer decides to search for reviews without knowing whom JT is, which is probably the majority of the Veer's audience, the majority of the reviews they're going to see are ok to good.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I got the impression early on that HP was working with Developers to have apps ready at launch. Especially when the TP is launched. Which makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I got the impression early on that HP was working with Developers to have apps ready at launch. Especially when the TP is launched. Which makes sense.
    Richard Kerris has hinted at this numerous times. During his interview with webOSroundup he mentioned two key things. He said that HP's 'key' partners had the 3.0 sdk before the alpha release & that those partners where working on apps. He also said that they've mostly gotten positive responses from the folks they've asked to build apps for webOS. He followed that by saying that some wanted to take a wait & see approach.

I say all of that to basically agree that HP clearly understands that they need more apps & they've been proactive on that front for what appears to be several months. I feel pretty confident that we'll see some important consumer facing apps available the day the TP launches.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Most of the reviews are around a 6 or so out of 10. There's nothing nice about that for HP or webOS fans wanting to see the platform evolve.
    In a nutshell, it's a Palm Pixi Plus in the guise of a Pre, only in a delightfully downsized package with webOS 2.1 and thoroughly modern functionality. What does it feel like to Just Type on its tiny keyboard or throw app cards across its itsy-bitsy 2.6-inch screen? How is it as a pocketable HSPA+ hotspot, and will that extra G decimate its miniscule 910mAh battery?
    How can you guys say this is a fair review? It feels like to me they just went to town on the little guy and then at the end they were like "Wow... we were harsh. How about we compensate that with a 6/10."

I'm surprised they didn't put the magnetic attachment as a con. That is the main thing people will say ruins the phone.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Sorry didn't see the score. I have to delete my comment.
    Last edited by passlogix; 05/13/2011 at 12:50 PM.
    [img]http://theblacksphere.net/wp-content/uploads/bird_****.jpg[/img]
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Really fair review. Despite the low 6, I can understand the points, which didn't happen with JT, where I felt he took five points for a bug and some slowdowns.

Really liked this:

"What's astounding is that -- except for some occasional hiccups and apps that take a moment to load -- all of this happens as quickly as your finger moves. That's how seamless this UI is, and it makes the mini Veer look mighty powerful. Truth be told, there is some potent silicon underneath -- the same 800MHz Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM7230 you'll find in the likes of the T-Mobile G2 -- and 512MB of RAM, but we've used "faster" Android devices that didn't feel nearly this fluid."
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Sometimes I feel they don't want to succeed. The pre came out and didn't do too well with the masses. The pixi and pre 2 had the same problem but yet they keep releasing the same design that has been rejected countless times. When do you come to the conclusion that you need to switch things up?

Sent using Tapatalk
    When the issues dragging you down aren't related to manufacturing QA issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    ...clip... pre 2 had the same problem ...clip..
    Wrong.
    Just call me Berd.
    Fair and positive review. Engadget is still pro WebOS and it's most important. They have shrunken The Bad list alot.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Seems like folks believe that if enough negative comments are posted below a review it might affect phone sales. I'm having a whale of a time there in the phone's defense.
    NNJ
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Seems like folks believe that if enough negative comments are posted below a review it might affect phone sales. I'm having a whale of a time there in the phone's defense.
    Trolls are a vocal bunch for some reason. They think they are accomplishing something and feel better about themselves by bashing others. In the end, the devices will speak for themselves and will prove the most vocal the most wrong.
  20.    #20  
    BTW... the Engadget Mobile podcast (live) starts at 5pm EST.

http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/05/1...ive-at-5pm-et/

They say that they will be discussing the Veer as one of the topics today!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast