Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was baffled on why he even brought up not having a virtual keyboard for a 2.6" screen, really?

Also this statement irked me The question is -- with a $100 on-contract price -- whether you'd really want to purchase a Veer when the larger, faster, more capable Pre 2 can easily be found on Verizon for less money.

Oh Im sorry I thought the Veer was being launched on ATT so would you want to compare the Veer to the ATT Pre Plus with its 500mhz cpu and less optimized webOS 1.4.5?? Assuming people would jump carriers at will is wrong. Dont even bring up the unlocked pre2 for overwhelming majority do not pay full price for a phone when the carriers still find ways to nail you on contracts anyways. Why assume that everyone wants a huge android device that will cover your face when making calls? HP made this phone to hit a specific market and there will be others to fit those. The Centro was the midget Treo 700p and it did very well on ATT so don't forget the fact that there are people, maybe not you and I, will want a small phone.

Rest of the article I'm on par with.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    The majority of the reviews are a 'interesting' contrast to Josh Top's review. After reading all of the reviews i've come to two conclusions. JT either had a seriously flawed phone or his personal perferences & bias got in the way of reviewing the phone for what it is, which didn't seem to be hard for the other reviewers.

The good thing for HP is that if someone interested in the Veer decides to search for reviews without knowing whom JT is, which is probably the majority of the Veer's audience, the majority of the reviews they're going to see are ok to good.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I don't think Josh is (negatively) biased. I just think he is a very disappointed webOS fan. He lacks the distance others have to see it more rational. He wants HP to go out there with something that trumps every other phone out there too badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    I don't think Josh is (negatively) biased. I just think he is a very disappointed webOS fan. He lacks the distance others have to see it more rational. He wants HP to go out there with something that trumps every other phone out there too badly.
    Ok. I can buy that. However, him being a "disappointed webOS fan" doesn't take away from the fact that he needs to have objectivity when reviewing a product. Is Derek at Precentral not a webOS fan? What about the gentleman over at webOS Roundup? Again, review the product for what it is whether you're a fan or not. And what adds even more legitimacy to the non Josh Top reviews is that the other reviewers aren't "disappointed webOS fan". They reviewed the phone for what it is.

And it's clearly obvious even to those that are disappointed in webOS is that with every review that comes out other people aren't disappointed with the device. They may say that it's not for them, but no one has panned the device the way that Josh did. That says a lot. We don't even have to go on from that point. Go back and read the Anantech, Laptop Review, WSJ, Wired, CNET, Business Week, Engadget, PC World, and the rest and then re-read Josh's review and they're no where near as bad as Josh's. And the thing about it is that when someone does a Google search for 'HP Veer' all of those reviews, excluding Josh's will appear first. All of those are more popular than Josh's so I doubt Josh's review will have little effect on the buying decisions of people interested in the Veer.

At this point every review that comes out is starting to make Josh's review appear to be the anamoly that it is. No matter how much people want to say "oh Josh is a disappointed webOS fan". Doesn't change the fact that the majority of the reviews aren't telling people to not buy the Veer. The reviews aren't of the Blackberry Torch kind were the majority of the reviews panned the device.
    Last edited by playboy; 05/13/2011 at 07:52 PM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    He's probably also mad at Ruby for the incredibly lame guest appearance on the Engadget show a few weeks back. He basically took up 90% of the show to say "I can't tell you anything". I can't imagine Josh would have booked Ruby if he knew he wouldn't say anything we hadn't heard for months.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewT3 View Post
    He's probably also mad at Ruby for the incredibly lame guest appearance on the Engadget show a few weeks back. He basically took up 90% of the show to say "I can't tell you anything". I can't imagine Josh would have booked Ruby if he knew he wouldn't say anything we hadn't heard for months.
    As long as Josh has been in this line of work, if he thought that Ruby was going to reveal something on the Engadget Show, then Josh must have had a brain freeze. He knew that Ruby wasn't going to spill the beans.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    As long as Josh has been in this line of work, if he thought that Ruby was going to reveal something on the Engadget Show, then Josh must have had a brain freeze. He knew that Ruby wasn't going to spill the beans.
    But I think he expected better answers, Ruby got massacred, and Joshua wasn't even trying. It was painful and pathetic seeing Ruby not knowing the specs of the phones his company division makes.
    [...]
    I agree.
    Kinda surprised, but the review was smack-dab fair and I'd even say the 6/10 is absolutely OK. After all the Veer isn't competing against high-end smartphones.

damn, I'll have to find ways to convince the woman that I really need two phones come this summer
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    The review was not biased or something and most of the things were properly addressed. The big "problem" with this phone is its size, because people are getting used to ultra-large phones and reviewers tend to think that the default size for a phone should be 3.6"" (at least).
    However I'm not very optimistic about the Veer and its sales. HP should advertise it and promote it to non-uber-gadget geeks. It's the perfect first smartphone for many people. That's the only way they could make it succeed.

PS I can't understand the HATE about webos/Palm/Veer in the comments under the article. I understand some of those people were disappointed pre users, but I think most of them haven't ever used webOS. How can you be so negative about something you don't know? Oh, well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    PS I can't understand the HATE about webos/Palm/Veer in the comments under the article. I understand some of those people were disappointed pre users, but I think most of them haven't ever used webOS. How can you be so negative about something you don't know? Oh, well...
    Engadget...
    You should see comments in articles about Nokia...

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Seems like folks believe that if enough negative comments are posted below a review it might affect phone sales. I'm having a whale of a time there in the phone's defense.
    Normally I would've been there. I'm usually there on *every* other WebOS engadget article.. but I had things to do yesterday.

Overall, I'm very impressed by this review. Engadget ==> TIMN is night and day difference IMO. Josh dropped the ball on this one, and Engadget proves to be the bigger man this time. I'm shocked!

Maybe it's got something to do with all the bad heat Apple & Google have been taking lately..
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

My favorite parts:

The Veer's speaker is as small as you'd expect, at least judging from the grille around back, but we were actually pleasantly surprised with its capabilities. It's not suited for serious listening or a portable party, but it handles the occasional tune quite nicely -- you can fit a little over 6GB of them here -- and it's plenty loud, just the opposite of the Palm Pixi. Good stuff.
    iPod Nano competitor here we come...
    Data speeds were fairly reasonable though -- we averaged around 2Mbps downloads and 1Mbps uploads with three bars of service, and topped out at 5Mbps down in a particularly generous (and rare) five-bar coverage zone. We wouldn't be terribly comfortable calling those 4G, but they are in line with what we've seen from the Atrix and Infuse in the same zones, and whether on our handset or a laptop (via the Veer's mobile hotspot) it made for quick page loads. We also didn't have much trouble getting a GPS lock.
    Small phone, same fast speeds...
    If you're unfamiliar with webOS, it works a little something like this: every app and settings page is represented by a virtual playing card, and your phone is the deck. Swipe open the app drawer and select an app, and it will launch in a little card-shaped window. Swipe down to make it appear full screen, swipe up to minimize again. Add another, and the second will appear as another card next to it -- instant, intuitive multitasking. Repeat as many times as you'd like (we had 48 cards open at once and apps still worked fine, though they took additional time to load), then swipe them all the way up to the top of the screen, one by one, to deal them into the ether and free up system resources.
    Good luck doing that on Android...

What's astounding is that -- except for some occasional hiccups and apps that take a moment to load -- all of this happens as quickly as your finger moves. That's how seamless this UI is, and it makes the mini Veer look mighty powerful. Truth be told, there is some potent silicon underneath -- the same 800MHz Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM7230 you'll find in the likes of the T-Mobile G2 -- and 512MB of RAM, but we've used "faster" Android devices that didn't feel nearly this fluid.

/doubts
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Kinda surprised, but the review was smack-dab fair and I'd even say the 6/10 is absolutely OK. After all the Veer isn't competing against high-end smartphones.
    Good point on prolly why the score was a meh since the current hype has been bigger and bigger phones every other day. HP has their hands full trying to get their voice out about veering the other way for a change but so far they have been pretty silent about it
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    I re-read the articles from Josh and engadget and they really seem very similar. Josh gave it a 5 and engadget gave it a 6. That is right in line with the rest:

Hands on: HP Veer review | News | TechRadar UK just too small.

Let's Get Small: HP's Tiny WebOS Smartphone

HP Veer: Hands On | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

HP Veer Review - Watch CNET's Video Review 2 1/2 out of 5 stars
    Final note: "Though some might still find it to be attractive, we say you'd get more out of AT&T's other smartphones in the $100 price range, such as the HTC Inspire 4G or the Samsung Focus."
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/15/2011 at 12:22 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12